News:

Welcome to the WM Buses in Photos Forum! New and existing members are kindly reminded to respect and abide by the Forum Rules that are in place here.

Main Menu

Last step entry buses

Started by sconehead85, July 25, 2012, 02:49:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sconehead85

Looking at the excellent fleetlists section on the last update , barring mini/midi buses and coaches there are the following step entry buses.  How long have they got?

10  Volvo Olympians
3   Leyland Olympians (4545-7)
6   Scania single decks
1   Dennis Dart 2038 (M100 PHA)

I have left out Mercedes minibuses because Im not sure to the extent that they are used in regular public service, but many of those need replacing.

sconehead85

Bob

Telford had a 55 plate ex wardles merc that was used in wolverhampton not long back

sconehead85

Thanks Bob.  Using the new style registration era as a cut off point, despite the Ulster style registrations of some Wardle minibuses, I reckon TEN Mercedes minis need replacing.  However Wardle seem to be involved in special needs transportation so most if not all the minibus fleet will NOT be in general passenger service so I won't be counting these among the last step entry buses.  Arriva Midlands are nearly there anyway!

sconehead85

Bob

2 of the scanias were working out of cannock last week. r416/7 tjw

sconehead85

There are clearly enough single decks due after the Olympics to replace the last step Scanias. But I wonder about the last step Dennis Dart 2038 (M100 PHA). Is this being saved as a heritage vehicle or preservation?  As for Scanias they are down to 3415-7/9/89/91.  Once these are gone its wholesale slaughter for the early Dart SLFs.

The double deck fleet is down to 13 step entry buses- are they "safe" for now? 

sconehead85

nx4737

QuoteThe double deck fleet is down to 13 step entry buses- are they "safe" for now?

With the B7 Geminis due after the Olympics, it's hard to say...  Unless anyone has an idea?

sconehead85

Depens if theres enough of them I suppose.

Ive just discovered that ALL surviving step Scania single decks and all bar one step Scania double decks have spent some time at Arriva Midlands.

The other single decks are N430/433 XRC and N167/9/72/6 PUT which are all with TGM Harlow or Stansted AFAIK. Most of the double decks are with Arriva NE and TGM Colchester/Harlow.

The double deckers are G35 HKY and H804 RWJ, new to Liverline, Merseyside but via AM are in North Wales (HKY, now open-top) and TGM Harlow (RWJ).

Arriva NE and TGM also have M161/2/70/2/6/7 GRY and N160-2/4 VVO,seven with Arriva NE and three with TGM.

I think most of these may be withdrawn this year, but the TGM ones may last longer.

sconehead85

sconehead85

Bob

Some of Cannocks Darts ( SLFS And early MPDS) need to go theyre rattly noisy piles of crap

sconehead85

bob- To think that Arriva Midlands sold Volvo Olympians to a dealer IN EXCHANGE for early Dennis Dart SLFs!

sconehead85

Bob

nx4737

Do we know what routes the Olympians at Wardles are used on?

sconehead85

Sorry I'm late nx4737-  The Wardle Olympians are used probably on schools and football specials.

The recent fleet news means that the Wardle operation has most remaining step entry buses.

Of  step double decks  Wigston based 4617 (Volvo Olympian) is the last with AM, along with the five remaining Scania sds which cant have very long left, 3416/7 at Cannock, 3415/9 at Shrewsbury and 3489/91 at Telford.  4620-2 are in reserve.

Wardle has Dart 2038, Olympians  4650/2/87/92 (Volvo) and 4545-7 (Leyland).

Arriva Mids+Wardle are the closest Arriva region to all low-floor.  In theory current deliveries could replace them all.

sconehead85

tphi12000

scania 3489 is also still in service at Telford noted on the 55 this morning. Tony
Tony

sconehead85

Tony-Ive corrected the error now, 3489/91 are at Telford, but on the fleetlist 3489 is marked withdrawn in error.

sconehead85

tphi12000

OK ,I think this is because on the last official fleet list it was shown as allocated to head office . Tony
Tony

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk