News:

Welcome to the WM Buses in Photos Forum! New and existing members are kindly reminded to respect and abide by the Forum Rules that are in place here.

Main Menu

Bus full

Started by Steveminor, June 02, 2020, 11:19:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Does this article mean that all forward facing seats will be in use from Monday? Including those next to other passengers and therefore capacity is increasing?
"The Department for Transport has accepted a risk-based case produced by the Confederation of Passenger Transport (CPT) for the use of every forward-facing seat on bus services in England. As a result, that will be permitted outside London from Monday 17 May where capacity is currently constrained on busy journeys."

I just noticed this already written on NX Bus Website, so it happening then.
https://nxbus.co.uk/west-midlands/help-information/travelling-safely-together

In regards to the point below in the article:
""This is about trying to solve problems at peak times," says a CPT spokesperson. They add that at less busy times, it should still be the case that passengers are expected to socially distance when on board."
I don't understand this bit either - why would someone sit next to someone, when there are seats available elsewhere.

https://www.route-one.net/news/change-allows-greater-bus-capacity-in-england-from-17-may/

Local Routes
94/95, 11A/11C, 28.

Trident 4194

Quote from: 2206 on May 14, 2021, 11:45:08 AM
Does this article mean that all forward facing seats will be in use from Monday? Including those next to other passengers and therefore capacity is increasing?
"The Department for Transport has accepted a risk-based case produced by the Confederation of Passenger Transport (CPT) for the use of every forward-facing seat on bus services in England. As a result, that will be permitted outside London from Monday 17 May where capacity is currently constrained on busy journeys."

I just noticed this already written on NX Bus Website, so it happening then.
https://nxbus.co.uk/west-midlands/help-information/travelling-safely-together

In regards to the point below in the article:
""This is about trying to solve problems at peak times," says a CPT spokesperson. They add that at less busy times, it should still be the case that passengers are expected to socially distance when on board."
I don't understand this bit either - why would someone sit next to someone, when there are seats available elsewhere.

https://www.route-one.net/news/change-allows-greater-bus-capacity-in-england-from-17-may/

I certainly won't be having anyone sit next to me on the bus. Regardless of these changes

Tony

Quote from: Trident 4194 on May 15, 2021, 07:35:18 PM
I certainly won't be having anyone sit next to me on the bus. Regardless of these changes

So what are you going to do if someone goes to sit next to you then?

the trainbasher

I'll be doing what I've been doing on buses/trams/trains this whole pandemic. Bag on the seat next to me.

Especially with this Indian varient of COVID, anyone could potentially have it

All opinions and onions mentioned on here are mine and not those of any employer, current, past, present or future, or presented as fact, unless I prove it otherwise.

DJ

Quote from: the trainbasher on May 15, 2021, 08:59:57 PM
I'll be doing what I've been doing on buses/trams/trains this whole pandemic. Bag on the seat next to me.

Especially with this Indian varient of COVID, anyone could potentially have it

That's why you use the NHS app and take advantage of the free home testing kits too. Unless cases go up a lot more, I'm not worried at all.

Any views/comments are my own and do not reflect those of my employer.

Steve3229vp

Quote from: Tony on May 15, 2021, 08:00:31 PM
Passengers aren't going to have people sitting next to them just because tomorrow is May 17th, it's going to take time especially for those who haven't been vaccinated yet

Quote from: the trainbasher on May 15, 2021, 08:59:57 PM
Quote from: Steve3229vp on May 16, 2021, 11:14:04 AM
Passengers aren't going to have people sitting next to them just because tomorrow is May 17th, it's going to take time especially for those who haven't been vaccinated yet
I'm sure a lot of people won't want to cause arguments though.
Someone comes and asks you if you can move your bag so they can sit there, if you say no, it might cause arguments.
Local Routes
94/95, 11A/11C, 28.

Gareth

Whilst I'm not overly fond of sitting next to someone or having someone sit next to me, maybe people need reminding that their bag hasn't paid for a seat and that you should maybe stay at home or find alternate transport arrangements.

j789

If people are that concerned about people sitting next to them, buy your bag a day saver, attach it to the front of the bag and then your bag is entitled to the seat! Seems like moaning for moaning sake to me.

Westy

Seems to me, you'll be ok, if you're on a route/corridor that operates frequently, for example Walsall 31/32 & 529.

Other lower frequency routes/corridors might be an issue.

Surely the more savvy amongst us should have a multi operator pass, so we can catch an alternative if available, for example with a Walsall Nbus, I could catch the X51 between Bloxwich & Walsall, as an alternative, or catch a 326 between Bloxwich & Willenhall(assuming it arrives on time!) instead?

Tony

Quote from: Westy on May 16, 2021, 04:58:55 PM
Seems to me, you'll be ok, if you're on a route/corridor that operates frequently, for example Walsall 31/32 & 529.

Don't get that logic.

High Frequency routes tend to have more passengers than low frequency ones

DJ

Quote from: Westy on May 16, 2021, 04:58:55 PM

Surely the more savvy amongst us should have a multi operator pass, so we can catch an alternative if available, for example with a Walsall Nbus, I could catch the X51 between Bloxwich & Walsall, as an alternative, or catch a 326 between Bloxwich & Willenhall(assuming it arrives on time!) instead?

Yeah, I always try to get the Diamond 4H rather than an NX one, as they are often less used, same with if I'm going into Birmingham, I'll usually get the 16 from West Bromwich. It takes a little longer than the 74, but it means I'll have more space too.

Any views/comments are my own and do not reflect those of my employer.

Westy

Quote from: Tony on May 16, 2021, 05:07:35 PM
Don't get that logic.

High Frequency routes tend to have more passengers than low frequency ones

You don't have to wait too long, if one bus is full !

Most people will pile on the first one that comes.

It's up to the driver to keep an eye on the loading, so he doesn't go over the limit set.

I normally do it in Walsall Bus Station on the way home.

If the 31 is 'full', then I look at a 32 or even an X51!

(Mind you, I tried for an X51 on Friday, it was showing as being 2 mins away. There was a X529 in the stop that was 'Due' according to the display. That went, then a 41 turned up & the X51 disappeared off the display, so I went back to the 31, which turned up as a Diamond!

Onto the 529, I did consider catching the X529 from Walsall to Portobello Island, then catching a 529 going back the other way for a couple of stops, as that sort of happened last Monday, as the 529 I was on, the driver had a message to do a diversion at J10, but he didn't do the obvious diversion & took the BCR all the way to Portobello instead, meaning I had to catch the bus the other way!)

Quote from: Westy on May 16, 2021, 07:55:58 PM
You don't have to wait too long, if one bus is full !

Most people will pile on the first one that comes.

It's up to the driver to keep an eye on the loading, so he doesn't go over the limit set.

I normally do it in Walsall Bus Station on the way home.

If the 31 is 'full', then I look at a 32 or even an X51!

(Mind you, I tried for an X51 on Friday, it was showing as being 2 mins away. There was a X529 in the stop that was 'Due' according to the display. That went, then a 41 turned up & the X51 disappeared off the display, so I went back to the 31, which turned up as a Diamond!

Onto the 529, I did consider catching the X529 from Walsall to Portobello Island, then catching a 529 going back the other way for a couple of stops, as that sort of happened last Monday, as the 529 I was on, the driver had a message to do a diversion at J10, but he didn't do the obvious diversion & took the BCR all the way to Portobello instead, meaning I had to catch the bus the other way!)
Sometimes it might be quiet when you get on however and build up as passengers get on along the way?
Also, busy routes tend to have more passengers, so you can wait for the next one and the next one might be full as well, only difference is your first on the bus instead of last.
Local Routes
94/95, 11A/11C, 28.

Trident 4194

Quote from: Tony on May 15, 2021, 08:00:31 PM

Sit on the seat away from the window or bag next to me. Simple as. I'm sure the old folks won't mind who sits next to them now they are double jabbed. Different situation for the younger generation

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk