News:

Welcome to the WM Buses in Photos Forum! New and existing members are kindly reminded to respect and abide by the Forum Rules that are in place here.

Main Menu

Election Day Mayoral Pledges.

Started by wembley86, May 02, 2024, 11:50:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tony

Quote from: Kevin_Brum12 on Today at 03:10:17 PMHe is only a couple of weeks into the job but I think Richard Parker is being rather disingenuous, given his appearance on the BBC One Midlands "Politics Show" this morning and this article on the BBC News website.

New mayor outlines bus reform plans

I do not see how you can have a franchising system, without the operators involved making a surplus in return.  The London regulated franchise system of course is operated by private companies who are in course in business to make a return on their capital employed.

The only way all of any "surplus" for West Midlands services can be reinvested entirely in the West Midlands and for the customer is for everything to be owned by WMCA, including buses, drivers, garages and operational staff...but that is not franchising as in London or the model being put in place in Manchester. (TfL own some assets like the Borismaster buses and lease them, but not all Londons vehicles and garages)

Parker needs to show his working and explain the incentive for companies like Metroline, Transdev, Transport UK Group, Wellglade and others to come into the West Midlands and break the effective Mobico (formerly NX Group) monopoly on local bus services in the conurbation.  Plus demonstrate what would be in it for Mobico for their Leadership Team to continue in operating buses in the West Midlands....rather than walking away to put their money elsewhere leaving Parker having to take everything over to keep the wheels turning. I suspect that would cost rather more than £75 million and the current Government will not help him if the decision was taken before the upcoming General Election.

It is also revealing that TfWM have done so little to prepare a plan. It is almost as if they'd not expected Parker to win the Mayoral vote. "A dereliction of duty" from them I think and that is being kind at best.

Yes, operators can make a higher percentage on franchising than they can commercially in many areas

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk