News:

Reminder to all members: please keep thread discussions 'on-topic' - this is a structured discussion forum, not a general 'group chat'!

Main Menu

Election Day Mayoral Pledges.

Started by wembley86, May 02, 2024, 11:50:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

suavegarv

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/black-country/75-million-being-spent-keeping-29170331?utm_source=linkCopy&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=sharebar

I take it the mayor doesn't like NX Bus.

If certain services are being subsided because they unprofitable but deemed essential,surely similar amounts will need to be spent under franchising.

If services are increased or introduced under franchising and struggle to break even,how could this be value for money?

Is he aware of subsidies being paid in other areas of the country to keep services running?

BlackCountryBusSpotter

Not really sure why he seems to think Buses mostly by NX don't serve Schools, Colleges or hospitals NX always has a route that serves or goes near. The public do have or used to have a say on services. NX did consultations. If he wants the network to be improved first get rid or cowboy operators like Let's go from my experience and others. NX do a great job it ay perfect but It is brilliant. Some people don't have last Buses at between 10PM and 2AM or even 24hr like some routes they have a last bus between 3/5PM and 7/9PM
Local Routes
NXWM 34, 37, 39, 79
DIA 310
WCT 65
Bit Further Away
NXWM 529, 25, 41, 11, 11A, 40, 47
DIA 326, 57, 23, 41A,
Frequently Travelled On Routes
79, 34/37, 39 and Very Occasionally the 529 and 74

woody38

Quote from: BlackCountryBusSpotter on May 15, 2024, 01:37:52 AMNot really sure why he seems to think Buses mostly by NX don't serve Schools, Colleges or hospitals NX always has a route that serves or goes near. The public do have or used to have a say on services. NX did consultations. If he wants the network to be improved first get rid or cowboy operators like Let's go from my experience and others. NX do a great job it ay perfect but It is brilliant. Some people don't have last Buses at between 10PM and 2AM or even 24hr like some routes they have a last bus between 3/5PM and 7/9PM
No they don't New Cross hospital has a very basic service through the hospital with a very confusing route, buses going to Walsall follow a different route than the buses going into Wolverhampton, the frequency is only every 30 mins. The 59 is a very frequent service but quite a long walk from the bus stops, especially if you have mobility issues.

BlackCountryBusSpotter

Quote from: woody38 on May 15, 2024, 08:51:26 AMNo they don't New Cross hospital has a very basic service through the hospital with a very confusing route, buses going to Walsall follow a different route than the buses going into Wolverhampton, the frequency is only every 30 mins. The 59 is a very frequent service but quite a long walk from the bus stops, especially if you have mobility issues.
The 39 serves the Manor every half an hour to, you have the 69 and maybe the 9 serving New Cross, coming back the 39 stops opposite the Manor the 38 used to stop at the Manor but it has the 36 to Walsall every half hour to
Local Routes
NXWM 34, 37, 39, 79
DIA 310
WCT 65
Bit Further Away
DIA 326, 57, 23, 41A,

ellspurs

Tony

Quote from: ellspurs on May 15, 2024, 05:05:45 PMhttps://www.route-one.net/news/west-midlands-bus-franchising-process-set-to-start-in-2025-mayor/

Go-Ahead'll be around soon, the saviours of everything and such other nonsense.
I suspect Go-Ahead are actually losing money on their franchise wins in Manchester,  hence their lack of winning any more

Rachvince53

Quote from: BlackCountryBusSpotter on May 15, 2024, 10:18:27 AMThe 39 serves the Manor every half an hour to, you have the 69 and maybe the 9 serving New Cross, coming back the 39 stops opposite the Manor the 38 used to stop at the Manor but it has the 36 to Walsall every half hour to
The 9 serves Bentley Bridge Retail Park and towards Walsall only serves the stop before New Cross (Coronation Road). From Walsall it uses the stop opposite the entrance to the hospital internal road. 

Rachvince53

Quote from: woody38 on May 15, 2024, 08:51:26 AMNo they don't New Cross hospital has a very basic service through the hospital with a very confusing route, buses going to Walsall follow a different route than the buses going into Wolverhampton, the frequency is only every 30 mins. The 59 is a very frequent service but quite a long walk from the bus stops, especially if you have mobility issues.
The reason why the 69 follows a different route around the hospital when travelling to Walsall or Wolverhampton has nothing to do with NX. It's because the internal road is mostly one way clockwise.  Let's Go 65 and Banga Bus 53 do the full loop. 

Stu

Quote from: ellspurs on May 15, 2024, 05:05:45 PMhttps://www.route-one.net/news/west-midlands-bus-franchising-process-set-to-start-in-2025-mayor/

Go-Ahead'll be around soon, the saviours of everything and such other nonsense.
I note with interest from that article the following:

QuoteIn a bold statement, the Combined Authority claims that Transport for the West Midlands (TfWM) "is covering about half the running costs of bus services" already. Further detail on how that figure has been arrived at has been requested from TfWM.

WMCA says it has spent over £75 million on bus subsidies in 18 months. The current package is in place until the end of 2024. TfWM is currently in talks with the government and operators over a continuation to prevent service cuts or fare increases from that point.
Now I'm under the impression that the main reason why bus services are being heavily subsidised (through central Government funding streams that are allocated to the WMCA/TfWM) is because the Government pretty much destroyed the bus industry in 2020 with the introduction of the Covid pandemic lockdown. (Whether you agree or disagree with the actions taken is a whole other kettle of fish)

Bus usage had been in some decline prior to 2020, and following the end of pandemic restrictions, while usage has been increasing, passenger numbers are still not quite what they were.

In the same period of time, inflation has increased, along with energy and fuel costs, yet bus fares steadfastly remained the same, until last year.

The talk is of "taking back control" of bus services, but I think the reality is that no matter whether they stay as commercially-operated or publicly-operated, there will still need to be subsidy support, or there will have to be an inflation-matching fare increase (ie, "huge") just so that revenues can match operating costs.

What I think we will likely see as well is a reduced network of bus services, with those that currently rely on subsidy being withdrawn and replaced with 'demand-responsive transport' (DRT) schemes instead. Which sound like great ideas on paper, but actually end up costing more to operate, with the only beneficiaries seeming to be the tech companies selling and providing the software and apps to run them, but are nothing more than glorified taxi services.

It's also interesting that Andy Street began the commissioning of this report in 2023, which will be published in July 2024, and I dread to think how much this has already cost the taxpayer. Andy Street starts this, and Richard Parker will take all the credit.
My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

cardew

Quote from: Stu on May 15, 2024, 08:26:55 PMWhat I think we will likely see as well is a reduced network of bus services, with those that currently rely on subsidy being withdrawn and replaced with 'demand-responsive transport' (DRT) schemes instead. Which sound like great ideas on paper, but actually end up costing more to operate, with the only beneficiaries seeming to be the tech companies selling and providing the software and apps to run them, but are nothing more than glorified taxi services.
Ah, the infamous DRT schemes. Spot On. Some of the figures that Roger French states about the cost of these things are eye-watering, upwards of £40 per passenger journey and as you say, basically a glorified taxi service. And all the while the consultants clean up. 

Sh4318

Quote from: j789 on May 04, 2024, 09:05:49 PMWith a majority of ONLY 1500 despite the Tories being in the worst turmoil for a generation, there's no way franchising will get through here before this joke Labour guy is kicked out at the next mayoral election.

This disaster will just mean the West Mids will no have to plateau for a few years rather than make any progress.

Can't wait for the increased council tax to pay for all these 'plans'. Well done Wolverhampton, Sandwell and Birmingham, enjoy the fruits of your voting in a bottomless money pit!
I voted green 🤷 
Class 153, 155 and 156. The Super Sprinters
Local Routes: 21, 89, 48/A, 12/A, 54/A
Semi-local routes: 80, 87

BlackCountryBusSpotter

Quote from: Stu on May 15, 2024, 08:26:55 PMI note with interest from that article the following:
Now I'm under the impression that the main reason why bus services are being heavily subsidised (through central Government funding streams that are allocated to the WMCA/TfWM) is because the Government pretty much destroyed the bus industry in 2020 with the introduction of the Covid pandemic lockdown. (Whether you agree or disagree with the actions taken is a whole other kettle of fish)

Bus usage had been in some decline prior to 2020, and following the end of pandemic restrictions, while usage has been increasing, passenger numbers are still not quite what they were.

In the same period of time, inflation has increased, along with energy and fuel costs, yet bus fares steadfastly remained the same, until last year.

The talk is of "taking back control" of bus services, but I think the reality is that no matter whether they stay as commercially-operated or publicly-operated, there will still need to be subsidy support, or there will have to be an inflation-matching fare increase (ie, "huge") just so that revenues can match operating costs.

What I think we will likely see as well is a reduced network of bus services, with those that currently rely on subsidy being withdrawn and replaced with 'demand-responsive transport' (DRT) schemes instead. Which sound like great ideas on paper, but actually end up costing more to operate, with the only beneficiaries seeming to be the tech companies selling and providing the software and apps to run them, but are nothing more than glorified taxi services.

It's also interesting that Andy Street began the commissioning of this report in 2023, which will be published in July 2024, and I dread to think how much this has already cost the taxpayer. Andy Street starts this, and Richard Parker will take all the credit.

He also hasn't actually addressed reliability yet which he did during the Campaigning especially when he was stood in front of the 529's at Walsall Bus Station. Andy Street at least promised to fix the infrastructure although let's not forget he is part of the reason reliability is terrible. Metro Works here there and everywhere. He had the chance to stop stuff like the Perry Barr Flyover being removed he didn't the Council who did that are now bankrupt. The Tram isn't the solution franchising isn't the solution. Leave things as they are and then like the trains if NX reliability becomes some bad then take them over and let someone else take over there routes and garages or run it by TFWM just like The trains in Wales and Scotland are being run by there government. But first let's try and get BMW Man out of his BMW onto the bus. Let's try and get roadworks to be done overnight. You could maybe speak to the bus operators to see what more they could do in your opinion maybe do surveys come back to NX and Rotala and say look the residents of town X want you to provide a bus service to Hospital Y and so on. If NX state they can't do it give Rotala the chance don't however franchise them. There is a reason why some places aren't served or some routes are tendered there wouldn't be enough money in it commercially for a man who claims he was of Bussiness I don't see how Richard Parker doesn't get that. Even I do for example I want the 79 to return to Birmingham but will it no should it no. Why There is the Tram on most of the Route. NX would have to spend more money getting more buses and drivers and training them. The route would take nearly 2 hours, the reliability would be awful and NX wouldn't make there money back. We can't have buses everywhere as there isn't demand really for that 
Local Routes
NXWM 34, 37, 39, 79
DIA 310
WCT 65
Bit Further Away
DIA 326, 57, 23, 41A,

Jack

As handy as the Perry Barr flyover was, the whole area feels much more nicer to be in now without the likes of that, grotty subways and a grotty train station. The traffic at Perry Barr isn't even that bad either really with the lights, even at rush hour it does move fairly fast. Before the Perry Barr works it was a massive dump and never felt safe at night. Even the old roundabout was a traffic hotspot for buses coming outbound from city and now that's happily not an issue with the bus lanes.

Would be nice if the Walsall drivers on the limited stop services would make use of that bus lane in rush hour to speed up journeys instead of sit in traffic.

markcf83

Quote from: BlackCountryBusSpotter on May 16, 2024, 11:23:46 AMThe Tram isn't the solution franchising isn't the solution. Leave things as they are and then like the trains if NX reliability becomes some bad then take them over and let someone else take over there routes and garages or run it by TFWM just like The trains in Wales and Scotland are being run by there government.
Couldn't have put it better myself.  
Don't judge me until you've walked in my size ten shoes.

Ronnoc

Excellent public transport is the solution, the West Midlands has some of the highest car usage of any urban area in the UK and Europe. This requires radical investment, and with radical investment there will be some form of disruption. Franchising is a very very small piece of the puzzle in terms of transport improvements.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk