News:

Please do have a browse through the forums or use the Search functionality before posting a new topic - chances are there is already a discussion underway on that subject, or your question has already been answered previously!

Main Menu

Smoking on buses

Started by Trident 4194, August 07, 2014, 03:37:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

P419 EJW

Quote from: 4006 on September 26, 2014, 12:50:05 AM
Quote from: Stu on September 25, 2014, 07:01:53 PM
Quote from: P419 EJW on September 25, 2014, 01:37:56 PM
Could I just ask a question - what about drinking alcohol on the buses?

Somehow over the past few weeks, I've travelled on different routes, around 5 - 6pm I see some working and some non-working men tend to sneak in the alcohol, sit at the back and drink. This has been an increase, almost every day. 

Like yesterday, I was on 1479 on 4H, there were two seperate occasions that a man drank the can of alcohol.

My pet peeve is when they finish their can, they just put it on the floor and get off the bus... The bus is not a bin!

Should this not be allowed? What happens to these people if they get caught by CCTV or they just get away with it? How does this work catching people drinking / smoking on the buses?

From

Quote6.10 Customers should not smoke on any part of the
vehicle. You may be prosecuted for
doing so and will face a fine of up to £1,000.
6.11 Customers should not consume any food or drink
on the vehicle and should dispose of any
chewing gum outside of the vehicle.
6.12 Customers are requested to discard all litter
in the bins or remove it from the vehicle.

Consumption of food and drink is not allowed, but you won't be prosecuted for it.
Personally I don't have a problem with people eating or drinking on the bus, as long as they take their rubbish with them. And if they're drinking alcohol, obviously they shouldn't be drunk already! I do have a problem with people leaving empty glass bottles to roll around everywhere, especially upstairs, where they could roll down the stairs and smash.
At the end of the day, its a bus, not a cafeteria or canteen. I dread to think what these people are like at home; would they like it if I left chicken bones and empty beer cans and bottles on their sofa or floor?

They do not have sofa's thats why they leave the rubbish on the floor  ;D ;D ;D

As for alcohol consumption what an absolute load of balls...what is the difference between drinking a can of coke or a can of Tennents (as long as you're not drunk and disorderly as previously stated) in any case people come on the bus boozed  up 3 sheets to the wind and drugged to the eyeballs but not with a needle stuck in their arm or an opened beer in their possession. Drinking a can of beer does not affect anyone's health smoking however does!

One more point on the diabetic food eating issue and excuse my ignorance if I am wrong but diabetics do not need a full size meal £10 worth of Dixy Chicken or 3 hamburgers fries and a large strawberry milk shake during the course of a 20 min bus ride...Usually a biscuit or small chocolate bar is sufficient (in an emergency)

You never know what the person will do next with the alcohol... Might be a bullshit about the difference, but once the alcohol can gets open, whew, you could smell it - you'd be sitting near the person, of course. But my point is that why people drink alcohol on buses? I don't care if it's a pop or water, but alcohol - I do get curious what would happen next.

People sneak alcohol cans in their coats/pockets while boarding on the bus, sits at the back, they start drinking it. I don't quite understand why people drink alcohol on the buses, it's not the correct setting. Pubs, nightclubs, and home would be the place to drink, but not on the buses - they are a public transport.

Exactly, that is a very good point you have made there about diabetes and food people eat on the buses. I have a friend who is diabetic and she must eat something every 4 hours to stabilise her sugar level, etc. It is always a small food. So, "Well, what about diabetic people? They could need something to eat or drink." Sorry, love, that's a load of crap. It is usually teenagers that eats these kind of food. 

Lukeee

Quote from: P419 EJW on September 26, 2014, 11:19:58 AM

Somehow over the past few weeks, I've travelled on different routes, around 5 - 6pm I see some working and some non-working men tend to sneak in the alcohol, sit at the back and drink. This has been an increase, almost every day. 

Like yesterday, I was on 1479 on 4H, there were two seperate occasions that a man drank the can of alcohol.

My pet peeve is when they finish their can, they just put it on the floor and get off the bus... The bus is not a bin!

Should this not be allowed? What happens to these people if they get caught by CCTV or they just get away with it? How does this work catching people drinking / smoking on the buses?

From

Consumption of food and drink is not allowed, but you won't be prosecuted for it.
Personally I don't have a problem with people eating or drinking on the bus, as long as they take their rubbish with them. And if they're drinking alcohol, obviously they shouldn't be drunk already! I do have a problem with people leaving empty glass bottles to roll around everywhere, especially upstairs, where they could roll down the stairs and smash.
At the end of the day, its a bus, not a cafeteria or canteen. I dread to think what these people are like at home; would they like it if I left chicken bones and empty beer cans and bottles on their sofa or floor?

As for alcohol consumption what an absolute load of balls...what is the difference between drinking a can of coke or a can of Tennents (as long as you're not drunk and disorderly as previously stated) in any case people come on the bus boozed  up 3 sheets to the wind and drugged to the eyeballs but not with a needle stuck in their arm or an opened beer in their possession. Drinking a can of beer does not affect anyone's health smoking however does!

One more point on the diabetic food eating issue and excuse my ignorance if I am wrong but diabetics do not need a full size meal £10 worth of Dixy Chicken or 3 hamburgers fries and a large strawberry milk shake during the course of a 20 min bus ride...Usually a biscuit or small chocolate bar is sufficient (in an emergency)

You never know what the person will do next with the alcohol... Might be a bullshit about the difference, but once the alcohol can gets open, whew, you could smell it - you'd be sitting near the person, of course. But my point is that why people drink alcohol on buses? I don't care if it's a pop or water, but alcohol - I do get curious what would happen next.

People sneak alcohol cans in their coats/pockets while boarding on the bus, sits at the back, they start drinking it. I don't quite understand why people drink alcohol on the buses, it's not the correct setting. Pubs, nightclubs, and home would be the place to drink, but not on the buses - they are a public transport.

Exactly, that is a very good point you have made there about diabetes and food people eat on the buses. I have a friend who is diabetic and she must eat something every 4 hours to stabilise her sugar level, etc. It is always a small food. So, "Well, what about diabetic people? They could need something to eat or drink." Sorry, love, that's a load of crap. It is usually teenagers that eats these kind of food.

Trains are public transport and people drink on them, in fact, staff even serve it. I think providing the person isn't acting silly or abusive then most passengers aren't to concerned

P419 EJW

Quote from: Lukeee on September 26, 2014, 10:27:34 PM
Quote from: P419 EJW on September 26, 2014, 11:19:58 AM

From

Trains are public transport and people drink on them, in fact, staff even serve it. I think providing the person isn't acting silly or abusive then most passengers aren't to concerned

I get your point but I am not talking about trains. I'm talking about buses. Glad that's clarified.

Mike K

And there's a very big difference between someone relaxing with a can of beer or a glass of wine on a 3 hour train journey, to someone necking a can of special brew on a 15 minute bus ride from Kings Heath to Druids Heath.

Your average bus journey is short, maybe 20 mins, half an hour? I enjoy a drink but (in the right environment) but if you can't go that long without a beer or a fag you've got serious problems, don't give a shit about your fellow passengers, or both.

Liverpool Street

Quote from: Mike K on September 27, 2014, 10:45:43 AM
And there's a very big difference between someone relaxing with a can of beer or a glass of wine on a 3 hour train journey, to someone necking a can of special brew on a 15 minute bus ride from Kings Heath to Druids Heath.

Your average bus journey is short, maybe 20 mins, half an hour? I enjoy a drink but (in the right environment) but if you can't go that long without a beer or a fag you've got serious problems, don't give a shit about your fellow passengers, or both.

I don't give a shit about fellow passengers. Hahahaha now breathe my fag breath!
Quote from: 2900
One thing Daimler Mercedes Benz are good at is producing excellent Diesel engines, I do miss the sound of the 0405n for all its faults you couldn't knock that 12 litre engine.
Quote from: karl724223
until it cought fire

Kevin_Brum12

My feelings are that the consumption of alcohol on buses should be specifically banned, with offenders liable for prosecution.   There is a big difference between sipping a bottle of water on a very hot day (we've all done it to keep hydrated) and someone drinking Special Brew, dumping their discarded can on the bus and then kicking off.   And it would be amusing to see Safer Travel chucking one or two numpties off the bus and pouring their cans down the nearest drain  :D

Boris has banned the consumption of alcohol on TfL services, so the law for the rest of the UK should be amended and it made clear that it is unacceptable behaviour.   

the trainbasher

Quote from: Kevin_Brum12 on September 27, 2014, 11:06:11 PM
My feelings are that the consumption of alcohol on buses should be specifically banned, with offenders liable for prosecution.   There is a big difference between sipping a bottle of water on a very hot day (we've all done it to keep hydrated) and someone drinking Special Brew, dumping their discarded can on the bus and then kicking off.   And it would be amusing to see Safer Travel chucking one or two numpties off the bus and pouring their cans down the nearest drain  :D

Boris has banned the consumption of alcohol on TfL services, so the law for the rest of the UK should be amended and it made clear that it is unacceptable behaviour.

And breach civil liberties on the coaches (or will they gain an exemption) whilst you're at it? If what you proposed was from an MP, I am sure that you would be voted out at the next election.

What about coach journeys? Or do they not count?

It sounds like something that the Labour Party would do.

All opinions and onions mentioned on here are mine and not those of any employer, current, past, present or future, or presented as fact, unless I prove it otherwise.

Mike K

Quote from: the trainbasher on September 27, 2014, 11:54:20 PM

And breach civil liberties on the coaches (or will they gain an exemption) whilst you're at it? If what you proposed was from an MP, I am sure that you would be voted out at the next election.

I never mentioned coach journeys, and I'm not debating the whole concept of what should and shouldn't be allowed on whatever mode of transport. I merely stated that if you are unable to make a 20 minute bus journey without resorting to alcohol or tobacco you're an idiot.

Longer journeys by train, coach, whatever, where you can be travelling for hours and alcohol is sold for consumption, that's a different matter.

Tony

Quote from: the trainbasher on September 27, 2014, 11:54:20 PM

It is already illegal to drink alcohol on a coach going to a sporting events and has been for many years, and it is not unusual for the police to stop coaches going to Wembley at Staples corner and check and remove people who have open alcohol

Liverpool Street

I used to eat and drink in the cab and on the bus all the time. Its one of those rules which no one ever followed. Nobody does even today I've noticed. Who the hell cares? There should be time and money spent on eliminating smoking, eating and drinking isn't anything.
One thing Daimler Mercedes Benz are good at is producing excellent Diesel engines, I do miss the sound of the 0405n for all its faults you couldn't knock that 12 litre engine.
until it cought fire

Stuharris 6360

Quote from: Liverpool Street on September 29, 2014, 07:40:49 PM
I used to eat and drink in the cab and on the bus all the time. Its one of those rules which no one ever followed. Nobody does even today I've noticed. Who the hell cares? There should be time and money spent on eliminating smoking, eating and drinking isn't anything.

yes but i take it the bus was stopped at the time LS?

Had cause to complain about an NE coach driver a couple of years ago who drunk and ate during the whole of my journey (including on the M1) from London Victoria to Birmingham, when we got to Birmingham the relief driver wouldn't take over until he cleaned up the cab space. Also told him off for allowing a young child to sit in the front seat.
Pensnett is my local garage. Favourite bus of all time is Fleetline 6360 (KON 360P).

Liverpool Street

Quote from: Stuharris 6360 on September 29, 2014, 07:56:58 PM

Had cause to complain about an NE coach driver a couple of years ago who drunk and ate during the whole of my journey (including on the M1) from London Victoria to Birmingham, when we got to Birmingham the relief driver wouldn't take over until he cleaned up the cab space. Also told him off for allowing a young child to sit in the front seat.

Well what that coach driver did was taking the piss. The vehicle was always stationary when I took a bite or swig, be it at traffic lights or bus stops, either way. This is going back a year or two from what I recall.

Did you complain? I often find a word with the offending driver in person is better then going through the rigmarole of management etc. Often ends in a handshake or thumbs up!
until it cought fire

Stuharris 6360

Quote from: Liverpool Street on September 29, 2014, 10:55:42 PM

Well what that coach driver did was taking the piss. The vehicle was always stationary when I took a bite or swig, be it at traffic lights or bus stops, either way. This is going back a year or two from what I recall.

Did you complain? I often find a word with the offending driver in person is better then going through the rigmarole of management etc. Often ends in a handshake or thumbs up!

i did complain because i thought what he did was to serious for just a word in his ear. this was eating and drinking at high speed on the M1 in the rain. Never seen him since so who knows?
Pensnett is my local garage. Favourite bus of all time is Fleetline 6360 (KON 360P).

Liverpool Street

Quote from: Stuharris 6360 on September 29, 2014, 11:19:36 PM
Quote from: Liverpool Street on September 29, 2014, 10:55:42 PM

i did complain because i thought what he did was to serious for just a word in his ear. this was eating and drinking at high speed on the M1 in the rain. Never seen him since so who knows?

Oh, sorry, I misread your initial post.

Heh, we used to do this all the time though. How times change.

Probably another person on the dole no doubt or working for a less reputable company.
until it cought fire

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk