News:

Welcome to the WM Buses in Photos Forum! New and existing members are kindly reminded to respect and abide by the Forum Rules that are in place here.

Main Menu

Diamond Bus Service Changes 15th April 2023

Started by the trainbasher, February 09, 2023, 08:50:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BrumKev86

Quote from: monkeyjoe on February 13, 2023, 06:52:09 PMWonder if stagecoach will take them on  :rolleyes:  :grin:
I definitely would feel sorry for the passengers if Stagecoach take them them :evil:  :grin:
Grew up in Great Barr, now living in North Somerset

Rachvince53

Quote from: MW on February 14, 2023, 09:30:49 PMThey've been closed since 2014.
Well Vehicle Operator Licensing.gov.uk  then.

winston

Westy

winston

Quote from: Westy on February 15, 2023, 04:10:42 PM160 now!
Wow! Based on Simon's comments, the 45 service currently needs 50 people per hour average using it to make it viable....

Tony

Quote from: winston on February 15, 2023, 04:38:34 PMWow! Based on Simon's comments, the 45 service currently needs 50 people per hour average using it to make it viable....

And with 6 buses on there to provide a 20 min service on a 2 hour round trip that's 300 passengers per hour, multiple by 12 hours for the main 7 till 7 service, then half as most people will make a journey each way, that's 1,800 people to make it viable

Mike K

What I'm curious to understand is how a commercially run service with a 20 minute frequency, 30 mins up until around 9pm, 30 mins on a Sunday, is suddenly axed due to it not being viable. I have no bus industry knowledge, so this is a question more than an observation, but more ordinarily wouldn't other alternatives to significantly reduce vehicle requirements and hours be explored first? Reduced frequency, later start, earlier finish, remove the Sunday service etc. Or possibly curtail or split the route, e.g. West Brom to Charlemont Farm, and Walsall to Yew Tree.

I'm not that familiar with the area but West Brom to Charlemont Farm always used to have a reasonable service in the past, as part of the 448 or the 408. Walsall to Yew Tree has also always had a reasonable service as far as I know.

I understand the issues, lack of revenue and cost pressures etc and if there's no alternative then so be it. But to axe daily and reasonably frequent commercial services overnight seems quite unprecedented. 

bususer12

Quote from: Mike K on February 15, 2023, 06:30:18 PMWhat I'm curious to understand is how a commercially run service with a 20 minute frequency, 30 mins up until around 9pm, 30 mins on a Sunday, is suddenly axed due to it not being viable. I have no bus industry knowledge, so this is a question more than an observation, but more ordinarily wouldn't other alternatives to significantly reduce vehicle requirements and hours be explored first? Reduced frequency, later start, earlier finish, remove the Sunday service etc. Or possibly curtail or split the route, e.g. West Brom to Charlemont Farm, and Walsall to Yew Tree.

I'm not that familiar with the area but West Brom to Charlemont Farm always used to have a reasonable service in the past, as part of the 448 or the 408. Walsall to Yew Tree has also always had a reasonable service as far as I know.

I understand the issues, lack of revenue and cost pressures etc and if there's no alternative then so be it. But to axe daily and reasonably frequent commercial services overnight seems quite unprecedented.
I interpret the intended withdrawals of these routes rather than routes where they compete (4/16) as a political statement about the Low fare zones.

I can't see how these routes ran hourly instead if they were really loss making wouldn't be profitable and keeps their assets working.

The chips are down and either there is a unlikely climbdown over LFZ by TFWM (I take this issue is the LFZ Nbus rather than Nxs offerings) Game on and maybe a smaller operator such as Kev's can capitalize

Rachvince53

Can't see Kevs doing it, too much dead mileage.  And yes I know Stagecoach have dead mileage with their new routes but they have the ability to absorb it. 

the trainbasher

Maybe we might see D&G come in as a replacement *hears shudders from those who use Cannock routes*

Technically D&G have ran routes in the WM area before (as D&G, not Midland)

All opinions and onions mentioned on here are mine and not those of any employer, current, past, present or future, or presented as fact, unless I prove it otherwise.

hlliwmai

Quote from: the trainbasher on February 15, 2023, 09:26:40 PMMaybe we might see D&G come in as a replacement *hears shudders from those who use Cannock routes*

Technically D&G have ran routes in the WM area before (as D&G, not Midland)

Chaserider running in the West Midlands I very much like that idea but apart from the obvious what routes could they operate 

Stuharris 6360

I do wonder whether the 1st January changes have actually changed the bus services for the better or not.

Certainly the 142/A seems to run between Halesowen and Stourbridge with very few people on it, the Stourbridge to Merry Hill bit seems to be rather better although still not brilliant loadings. Sundays the 142s I see (runs pasr my flat) are mostly empty, was this a really good idea from TfWM? Surely the best idea, imo, would be to withdraw the 142A, the 7 could cover Springfield Avenue once an hour. Continue the 142 hourly and reduce the Merry Hill section to hourly. Withdraw the Sunday service.

Same as the new 25 service, had some time to kill last week and caught a 25 between Dudley and Stourbridge and across the whole journey there were only 9 passengers including myself. Once again limit the 25 to hourly which should help.

Can't comment on the 45, but have seen both the 002 and 226 carrying more passengers than these services.
Pensnett is my local garage. Favourite bus of all time is Fleetline 6360 (KON 360P).

the trainbasher

QuoteI do wonder whether the 1st January changes have actually changed the bus services for the better or not.

Certainly the 142/A seems to run between Halesowen and Stourbridge with very few people on it, the Stourbridge to Merry Hill bit seems to be rather better although still not brilliant loadings. Sundays the 142s I see (runs pasr my flat) are mostly empty, was this a really good idea from TfWM? Surely the best idea, imo, would be to withdraw the 142A, the 7 could cover Springfield Avenue once an hour. Continue the 142 hourly and reduce the Merry Hill section to hourly. Withdraw the Sunday service.

Same as the new 25 service, had some time to kill last week and caught a 25 between Dudley and Stourbridge and across the whole journey there were only 9 passengers including myself. Once again limit the 25 to hourly which should help.
The 25, 142 and 142A service uplifts are being part paid for by BSIP (Bus Service Improvement Plan) money

All opinions and onions mentioned on here are mine and not those of any employer, current, past, present or future, or presented as fact, unless I prove it otherwise.

Stuharris 6360

Quote from: the trainbasher on February 15, 2023, 10:28:50 PMThe 25, 142 and 142A service uplifts are being part paid for by BSIP (Bus Service Improvement Plan) money
and to be frank, what an awful waste of money!
Pensnett is my local garage. Favourite bus of all time is Fleetline 6360 (KON 360P).

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk