News:

Reminder to all members: please keep thread discussions 'on-topic' - this is a structured discussion forum, not a general 'group chat'!

Main Menu

Hydrogen vehicles

Started by Tony, April 30, 2021, 06:57:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PB50

Quote from: West_Brom/WalsallBusGeek on September 21, 2023, 07:15:37 AMHydrogen operating on the 934 a few days ago.. will we begin to see them on more routes around Walsall?
Far as I know they can only be used on Birmingham routes i.e 51, X51, 934/5 and 997. Maybe in the future this will change.

Tony

They 
Quote from: West_Brom/WalsallBusGeek on September 21, 2023, 07:15:37 AMHydrogen operating on the 934 a few days ago.. will we begin to see them on more routes around Walsall?
do the same running boards every day which includes some journeys on the 934

Wumpty

@Tony how are the Hydrogens performing on fuel consumption? Are they working to theoretical and anticipated physical consumption against the pre-service testing?
Autofare 3 - the ticket that laughs in the face of contactless!

Tony

Quote from: Wumpty on September 21, 2023, 11:06:59 AM@Tony how are the Hydrogens performing on fuel consumption? Are they working to theoretical and anticipated physical consumption against the pre-service testing?
Yes fuel consumption isn't a problem at all, just getting the fuel into the vehicles sometimes!

Wumpty

Quote from: Tony on September 21, 2023, 11:25:17 AMYes fuel consumption isn't a problem at all, just getting the fuel into the vehicles sometimes!
Always a challenge with any new fuel type or refuelling system - the gas buses were certainly a challenge too!

Pleased to see the Hydrogens performing as expected!
Autofare 3 - the ticket that laughs in the face of contactless!

B61 ANDREW

And as previously mentioned - plenty of them about again today . [ And I have still not seen them all ! ]

PB50

I noticed no hydrogen buses out today. Is that due to refueling issues?

Westy

Quote from: Wumpty on September 21, 2023, 09:12:02 PMAlways a challenge with any new fuel type or refuelling system - the gas buses were certainly a challenge too!

Pleased to see the Hydrogens performing as expected!
Does that one converted gas to diesel bus still exist in the training fleet?

Gareth

Quote from: PB50 on September 30, 2023, 09:50:22 AMI noticed no hydrogen buses out today. Is that due to refueling issues?
Isn't it about time this project was abandoned. It's clearly not working.

Trident 4194

Quote from: Gareth on September 30, 2023, 11:08:19 PMIsn't it about time this project was abandoned. It's clearly not working.
Certainly seems that way. What a waste of money 

Rachvince53

Quote from: Trident 4194 on October 01, 2023, 09:14:40 AMCertainly seems that way. What a waste of money
Agreed. Seems that electric is the future power source for NX buses. Could the hydrogen buses be converted to electric?

j789

If you do some research about using hydrogen as a fuel source it is agreed by a wide range of sources that it will play a key role in the future. It is not a 'failure' as such, it's just I think the council was in so much of a rush to look green and wanted positive headlines, that they jumped the gun with hydrogen buses.

They should have waited a couple of years until all of the necessary infrastructure was in place and a secure supply of hydrogen could be sourced, rather than rush the introduction of these buses leading to all these issues.

I can't imagine why they would be converted to electric as that is admitting failure and hydrogen will be used on a larger scale in the not too distant future. They just need to maybe aim to use 50% of the resource daily to conserve supplies and mean that at least some of the vehicles get used on a daily basis - no point having 100% out one day then none the next.

Westy

Why did they give up on gas?

I know they had issues with the bus tanks at one point, but the only other thing that springs to mind was probably the price?

B.C Driver

If I am correct in thinking that these Walsall buses have to be filled up in Tyseley then that makes no sense whatsoever. Surely would have been better to base these at AG?
4444 -The Star Wars Bus

- May the 4s be with you!

Mayfield

What is the point in planning to use half the fleet one day and the other half the next day, if you can't use your resources all the time then it's pointless having them, and I know off topic but what about the 30 electrics built and ready for use months ago, surely Perry Barr should have been built to full electric capability and these buses could have been in service months ago, I guess NX are/have paid for these already.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk