News:

Welcome to the WM Buses in Photos Forum! New and existing members are kindly reminded to respect and abide by the Forum Rules that are in place here.

Main Menu

What are people views, just curious?

Started by monkeyjoe, November 11, 2014, 08:21:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trident 4194

Quote from: Liverpool Street on November 12, 2014, 10:40:28 PM
Quote from: Tony on November 12, 2014, 12:47:49 PM
Quote from: Gareth on November 12, 2014, 12:41:25 PM
Some buggies cannot just be easily folded. Have you seen the size of some of them?
What was the mother supposed to do, get off and wait for the next bus? Maybe she would have missed her train connection and arrived an hour late and become embarrassed and lack in confidence. Could she sue under the equality act?
It's a tricky case, and I think one with no clear answers. The bus driver asked the lady to move, I don't think he could have done any more.

My biggest worry is that if First do lose the case at appeal the wheelchair space will be just that and have to remain empty if one is not aboard, which is 95% of the time. Bus companies will still want to provide buggy space, as that does increase passenger numbers and revenue, so we will end up with even fewer seats in the lower saloon

...at this rate the whole lower saloon would be disabled bays and fold up seats!!!

Ha, ha

Stu

Quote from: arrivadays on November 12, 2014, 10:02:30 PM
I am completely in favour for wheelchair users to get the priority over buggy users - without a doubt!

But, while this may not be relevant to the matter, it annoys me how people just sit in the bay as happy as Larry, with nothing to warrant them sitting there, and won't move until a wheelchair/pushchair user asks them to move. It annoys me how some people have a lack of courtesy for others that have the allowance of the bay, whether its pushchair or wheelchair. I remember getting on the bus once, and these 4 people wouldn't move until the mother asked them to move so she could use the bay for her pushchair, even though they saw her wanting to get on, while the other bay was full with another pushchair.

The other morning there was a crowd of people waiting to get on the bus, and even though there was a woman with a buggy in the queue, other people were getting on and sitting in the fold-down seats in the buggy zone!  ???
My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

the trainbasher

Why should people be made to stand when there is fold down seats in the buggy bay then? Surely just an ounce of decent positioning would mean only 1 fold down is unable to be used instead of 3 or 4

All opinions and onions mentioned on here are mine and not those of any employer, current, past, present or future, or presented as fact, unless I prove it otherwise.

Stu

Quote from: the trainbasher on November 13, 2014, 07:04:05 PM
Why should people be made to stand when there is fold down seats in the buggy bay then? Surely just an ounce of decent positioning would mean only 1 fold down is unable to be used instead of 3 or 4

My point was that people are willingly choosing to sit in the buggy zone, knowing full well that someone with a buggy will also be getting on. There were other seats available on the bus they could sit on.
My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

Steveminor

I am always surprised that wheelchairs or pushchairs can even get to the bay, what with all those people standing by the luggage racks blocking the whole front of the bus aisle cause they don't want to stand (or sit) further back on the bus.

Liverpool Street

Quote from: Steveminor on November 13, 2014, 10:44:18 PM
I am always surprised that wheelchairs or pushchairs can even get to the bay, what with all those people standing by the luggage racks blocking the whole front of the bus aisle cause they don't want to stand (or sit) further back on the bus.

It is madness. I think its natural instinct to be close to the doors... Or to the driver? I don't know...

What I do know is its so uncomfortable to have passengers breathing down your neck and staring at you driving and such with a full load. Makes me shudder to think of it again. Glad those days are behind me ha.
Quote from: 2900
One thing Daimler Mercedes Benz are good at is producing excellent Diesel engines, I do miss the sound of the 0405n for all its faults you couldn't knock that 12 litre engine.
Quote from: karl724223
until it cought fire

the trainbasher

Quote from: Liverpool Street on November 13, 2014, 10:51:24 PM

It is madness. I think its natural instinct to be close to the doors... Or to the driver? I don't know...

What I do know is its so uncomfortable to have passengers breathing down your neck and staring at you driving and such with a full load. Makes me shudder to think of it again. Glad those days are behind me ha.

Or maybe the person by the luggage racks standing is only going a couple of stops so why should they sit down just to get back up in a few seconds anyway. I personally stand if I am only going a few minutes up the road. There is no compulsory sit down if there is a seat but is merely a recommendation.

Sometimes, if its a fit female driver than thats another reason to stand by the luggage racks! :-)

All opinions and onions mentioned on here are mine and not those of any employer, current, past, present or future, or presented as fact, unless I prove it otherwise.

Liverpool Street

Quote from: the trainbasher on November 13, 2014, 11:21:02 PM
Quote from: Liverpool Street on November 13, 2014, 10:51:24 PM

Or maybe the person by the luggage racks standing is only going a couple of stops so why should they sit down just to get back up in a few seconds anyway. I personally stand if I am only going a few minutes up the road. There is no compulsory sit down if there is a seat but is merely a recommendation.

Sometimes, if its a fit female driver than thats another reason to stand by the luggage racks! :-)

I think that's too much of a rarity to be considered an excuse ;-) ha ha
One thing Daimler Mercedes Benz are good at is producing excellent Diesel engines, I do miss the sound of the 0405n for all its faults you couldn't knock that 12 litre engine.
until it cought fire

Smethwickian

I see very little justification for a buggy to get priority over a wheelchair and was surprised that First took this case so far.

Buggies can be folded, wheelchairs can't.

Parents choose to have/keep offspring but wheelchair users don't generally choose to be disabled.

Buggies the size of a small family car are generally way out of proportion to the size of the child and are a cumbersome nuisance, both on public transport and simply barging their way down the street or around shops.

A child can be carried or sat on a lap - a disabled person cannot.

The only circumstances which might give rise to difficulties are either very infrequent rural services or the last bus late at night (though why anyone would be out and about with a small infant I don't know).

Matt.N0056

What's worse is when a wheelchair user is not able to travel on the bus because there is a pushchair in the wheelchair bay, but empty, with the kids and parents upstairs. Lucky, the next bus was 2mins after!!

Liverpool Street

Quote from: Matt.N0056 on November 14, 2014, 05:46:02 PM
What's worse is when a wheelchair user is not able to travel on the bus because there is a pushchair in the wheelchair bay, but empty, with the kids and parents upstairs. Lucky, the next bus was 2mins after!!

The rule is, if I remember now... "Buggies must be occupied throughout the journey. If the buggy is left empty you would be asked to fold it down." - Words to that effect anyhow.
until it cought fire

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk