News:

Welcome to the WM Buses in Photos Forum! New and existing members are kindly reminded to respect and abide by the Forum Rules that are in place here.

Main Menu

Drivers - Bus Reviews & Opinions

Started by 2900, July 13, 2014, 12:38:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Liberator9

@MW

Really liked 2201 - fast running buses - smooth as well and the voith gearbox works well on them. Very glad NX selected Voith as opposed to the ZF option

BU07 LGO

Had this for 2 997s and was in love! The fans was on constantly and it could actually reach 40 on the flyover! Brakes were nice and smooth and like the low drivers side wing mirror . Of the 3 b7 alx ive driven this was defibateky the best

John

Quote from: John on July 02, 2015, 12:54:41 PM
4801. Had this for 2 trips on the 65 as a change bus for 4291 with a leak from the engine compartment

A brilliant example of an early Enviro400.

Immaculate inside and out (apart from some of the seatbacks, I guess not replaced at refurb as a few upstairs were vandalised, two of the high backed seats downstairs had blue seat backs)

Driving wise, spot on, the brakes were not jolting like some other Enviro400s of both types, it didn't seem as pokey as a couple of the others at pulling away, but still pretty brisk. Hardly any rattles from the interior, unlike some newer examples. The only thing I find strange and pointless are the intermittent wipers. They do 2 cycles, then stop for a bit, unlike the 49**s with just have one cycle

I also love the engine sound that these make especially when pulling away. The newer Enviro400s just don't sound the same

Now I just hope I get another one on the 16 this afternoon  :D

I was quite amazed to get 4801 again this afternoon!

It was lovely on the Expressway at speed. It seemed a lot smoother than the 49**s, and less rattling, plus the better acceleration meant that I could exploit a gap in the traffic without the delay in power like in the Sutton Enviro400s

John

Had 4806 on a 914/115 trip this afternoon. Nice puling away, but I felt the brakes were not as good as the others. Also the gearbox jerked when changing down from 2nd to 1st when braking, causing a jerk. Other than that, another nice Enviro400

Exterior and interior great, like the other Crimsons

4961-4962 ADL ENVIRO 400 E40D

Very similar to my earlier post on 4952 utter F,ING crap simply woeful compared to the 4700s I,ve nothing positive to say about these things other than a can of petrol and some matches would be a good idea, I detest them utterly.

Score a BIG PHAT ZERO WITH SHIT ON TOP FOR GOOD MEASURE

MW

My oh my, 4102 and 4038 today. How much of a world apart, yet so similar these are!

4102 (probably the most common bus I've driven at my time with NX). It's broken down on me twice, it has an annoying rattle at times, and the steering wheel feels funny. The gearbox jerks a lot, especially when just closing doors and moving off. But acceleration and braking are acceptable. It doesn't fall to far back to Geminis, and it bearably and nobely takes on Marsh Hill. It has its faults, I don't particular like or dislike it anymore, because I've had worse today, instead of a Gemini.

4038; by far the slowest Plaxton I've driven. Don't get me wrong, it's smooth, but seriously slow. I'd rather have 4639 (slowest Gemini I've driven which has no power till around 12-1500rpm) than this heap of rubbish. The brakes aren't very good either, it feels like they are on there way out. It seems to accelerate quicker than it brakes, and it doesn't go anywhere!

On my first lap of the Circle I was annoyed with how it tackled certain inclines in just first gear, changing to second and back to first. Like the Bournville Hill, Pershore Road bridge and of course Marsh Hill. And then I remembered that I had another Circle.
As some of you may have seen in the news, there's was an RTC with a car and a police car in Stechford/Yardley. The bus in front of me got stuck within it and I was behind it, after 3 cars. So I was able to get diverted onto Blakesley Road and around it all. Then a hell of a lot of 11s (already late due to traffic in Perry Barr/Witton/Bromford, got stuck.

So I was the first 11, with around a 35-40min gap behind me. When my bus got full to the brim, literally turning massive crowds of passengers away, it was the most awful thing to drive. Painfully slow, the Bournville hill, couldn't go greater than 14mph, if that. The braking, even worse, what with the approx 5 tonnes of extra weight.

It was a nightmare, I admit any bus would struggle, but coupled to the fact that it already had virtually no power, it's a bus I would/will be glad to see the back off!

I wonder how this would compare to the last of Enviro400 49** batch power wise. I can't imagine them being slower!

Also the door interlock had an annoying delay which felt like forever, and the dodgy kneeling switch which was quite frustrating.

I used to hate 4102, but this ordeal has made me think, bloody hell it could be worse!

I'll be glad to have no Plaxtons tomorrow. I'm on a Warwick (37) duty :)

Anyway, yeah avoid 4038 unless you've got hours to kill!

Well most PLAXTON PRESIDENT B7 TL and the turds aka (4900)s are 15 years apart in age most plackys are either excellent or average may be a few lemons but I,m sorry the ADL E40D,s are not good at all from new and  in 15 years time oh dear.

Sh4318

@2900 @John @BU07 LGO which bus, out of the fleet, is your favourite MK2 Enviro 400?
Class 153, 155 and 156. The Super Sprinters
Local Routes: 21, 89, 48/A, 12/A, 54/A
Semi-local routes: 80, 87

BU07 LGO

Quote from: Sh4318 on July 12, 2015, 02:32:09 PM
@2900 @John @BU07 LGO which bus, out of the fleet, is your favourite MK2 Enviro 400?

The mk2 enviros are all quite poor really but 3 that stand out are 4863, 4875 and 4880 as been fairly quick when needed

John

Quote from: Sh4318 on July 12, 2015, 02:32:09 PM

To be honest they are all the same to me. I think they are still too young to feel different, if you understand what I mean (One does not stand out as being better than the others). There are a couple that have a lovely turbo whine when pulling away or accelerating though, but I can't remember which these are

lynx1103

Quote from: BU07 LGO on July 12, 2015, 02:38:59 PM
The mk2 enviros are all quite poor really but 3 that stand out are 4863, 4875 and 4880 as been fairly quick when needed

Had a ride on 4873 noticed the gears were changing very quickly and
Several occasions sounded like it was gonna stall high gear for slow speed.

Similar alteration to PB 49xx vechiles.

BU07 LGO

Quote from: lynx1103 on July 13, 2015, 11:43:53 AM
Had a ride on 4873 noticed the gears were changing very quickly and
Several occasions sounded like it was gonna stall high gear for slow speed.

Similar alteration to PB 49xx vechiles.

Yeah they change far too early! All to save fuel I guess! A lot of drivers say the fuel lines are clamped to restrict fuel but I think they've just been remapped to change gear at lower revs!

I,be been some reading up on the  ECU,s fitted to most euro 4/5 buses they can incorporate quite a few different settings eg economy/ normal/ dynamic these digital ecu,s very sofisicated and very clever bit of kit , while reading up on demonstrator vehicles the reviews seem to be all very positive indeed , then the penny dropped as one bus being tested was in dynamic mode a wrightbus steetdeck on long term evaluation with first, out in the real world we everyday drivers won't get the pleasure of the dynamic mode no way we,ll get the limp lettice mode.
I,d love to get me laptop out and play about with these settings. It's no different to modern cars really you can flash the ecu and place in 5 different modes if you know what your doing.

John

Quote from: BU07 LGO on July 14, 2015, 08:08:53 AM
Yeah they change far too early! All to save fuel I guess! A lot of drivers say the fuel lines are clamped to restrict fuel but I think they've just been remapped to change gear at lower revs!

Ever since Sunday, I have noticed that while braking at low speeds, just before you come to a complete stop, the retarder kicks off and the ABS light comes on, then the retarder reapplies and the light goes out. It only seems to happen once or twice not long after starting the bus. I thought it was a problem with the first bus I had (4915), but it is the same with every Enviro400 I've had

BU07 LGO

Quote from: John on July 14, 2015, 10:11:01 AM
Ever since Sunday, I have noticed that while braking at low speeds, just before you come to a complete stop, the retarder kicks off and the ABS light comes on, then the retarder reapplies and the light goes out. It only seems to happen once or twice not long after starting the bus. I thought it was a problem with the first bus I had (4915), but it is the same with every Enviro400 I've had

Ill have to look out for that have just got home from Greece so haven't drove for over a week !

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk