News:

Welcome to the WM Buses in Photos Forum! New and existing members are kindly reminded to respect and abide by the Forum Rules that are in place here.

Main Menu

Drivers - Bus Reviews & Opinions

Started by 2900, July 13, 2014, 12:38:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tony

Quote from: Liberator9 on July 01, 2015, 07:05:39 PM
Always nice to get a good Gemini - for a 10-11 year old bus they are still great - the only thing I don't like about them is the noise emitted when they idle - sometimes makes a horrible noise that goes right through my ears.

Can never go wrong with paper to fix rattling - Reminds me of how Metros were used to stop squeaking from Scanias cab doors when they were newer - Drivers used to shove metros in the areas to stop it! When YW and AG first got their Scanias some used to squeak very badly - one of the Omnilink downsides - rather poorly designed and built cab partition, as well as the ticket bin. A few have had the ticket bins removed now due to the rattling they made.

http://wmbusphotos.com/NXWM/1750-1953/1848.html - photos 4 and 5 shows an example of that

Those newspapers were nothing to do with rattles. When new, that batch of scanias interior mirrors that were almost impossible to see anything in. The mirrors have been moved now, but the best cure a driver could do was put the metro behind it

Liberator9

Never knew that - just assumed it was something to with rattling. I have still seen the odd Metro stuffed behind the ticket bin on a few to stop it rattling.

4506 WRIGHTBUS GEMNI VOLVO B7TL

It seems the n/s side panels around and behind the wheel are from another GEMNI as the company logo now reads National Express WesMidlands  and the white painted area don't match. Maybe they ran out of letter T,s and thought that,ll do.

Liberator9

Let's just hope the Crimson livery buses get maintained much better in terms of appearance. The old NX livery has always been subject to various colour shades and ever changing locations of the logo.

John

4801. Had this for 2 trips on the 65 as a change bus for 4291 with a leak from the engine compartment

A brilliant example of an early Enviro400.

Immaculate inside and out (apart from some of the seatbacks, I guess not replaced at refurb as a few upstairs were vandalised, two of the high backed seats downstairs had blue seat backs)

Driving wise, spot on, the brakes were not jolting like some other Enviro400s of both types, it didn't seem as pokey as a couple of the others at pulling away, but still pretty brisk. Hardly any rattles from the interior, unlike some newer examples. The only thing I find strange and pointless are the intermittent wipers. They do 2 cycles, then stop for a bit, unlike the 49**s with just have one cycle

I also love the engine sound that these make especially when pulling away. The newer Enviro400s just don't sound the same

Now I just hope I get another one on the 16 this afternoon  :D

Liberator9

@John

Sounds perfect! Shame the newer E400s aren't like those 2009 versions - at least the latter have a good bit of power and sound good as well.

Just surprised that during refurb vandalism isn't removed on seat backs - had that on 4362 (I think, could've been 4362) - decorative graffiti tag on the side panel upstairs on the front left before refurb. Still there afterwards! Thought a refurb would mean those blue ones would go as well.

Fingers crossed you'll get another one!

John

@Liberator9

They are nearly perfect to drive. In my opinion, they are the best buses we have, closely followed by the Geminis

Liberator9

@John

Sounds good - the Geminis have always been decent buses - only thing I'm not keen on is the sound when some are idling - bit of a vibration sound that goes through my ears!

John

Quote from: Liberator9 on July 02, 2015, 01:02:18 PM
@John

Sounds perfect! Shame the newer E400s aren't like those 2009 versions - at least the latter have a good bit of power and sound good as well.

Just surprised that during refurb vandalism isn't removed on seat backs - had that on 4362 (I think, could've been 4362) - decorative graffiti tag on the side panel upstairs on the front left before refurb. Still there afterwards! Thought a refurb would mean those blue ones would go as well.

My lucks in! 4802

A lot brisker acceleration than 4801, but the brakes seem sharper

Liberator9

John

Quote from: Liberator9 on July 02, 2015, 03:00:31 PM
Nice - have a good drive!

I haven't done the 16 for nearly 6 months now, I am enjoying it. I'm currently parked at the Markets. Its a nice route to do with good buses.

Liverpool Street

Quote from: Tony on July 01, 2015, 07:12:55 PM
Those newspapers were nothing to do with rattles. When new, that batch of scanias interior mirrors that were almost impossible to see anything in. The mirrors have been moved now, but the best cure a driver could do was put the metro behind it

Was it to stop reflections?
Quote from: 2900
One thing Daimler Mercedes Benz are good at is producing excellent Diesel engines, I do miss the sound of the 0405n for all its faults you couldn't knock that 12 litre engine.
Quote from: karl724223
until it cought fire

Ashley 60171

Quote from: Liberator9 on July 02, 2015, 01:02:18 PM
@John

4348 had a YW area tag just before going to PE, still there two years later. 1643 has had it's graffiti on the side and ceiling panels since 2011 when it was a PL bus. Sorry for going off topic but surely they should get a bit of Cillet Bang on them or Dulux.

Justin Tyme

Quote from: John on July 02, 2015, 12:54:41 PM
A brilliant example of an early Enviro400.

I also love the engine sound that these make especially when pulling away. The newer Enviro400s just don't sound the same.

I'm not a driver but I totally agree.

MW

Well this was interesting this morning.

It is quite nippy, it did hesitate until around 1200rpm then it shot off, was quicker than a YW 43** from the lights.

The retarder sounds good, makes a classic voith sound. It's a 4 speed voith (well i got into 4th gear anyway, might be another but didn't get fast enough!)

The steering is good, it's quick from lock to lock, like a car!

Only thing annoying is the nearside mirror, which I was watching like a hawk so it doesn't hit the stops!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk