News:

Please do have a browse through the forums or use the Search functionality before posting a new topic - chances are there is already a discussion underway on that subject, or your question has already been answered previously!

Main Menu

Metro shut?

Started by mikestone, December 30, 2012, 05:28:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mikestone

Tram 12 standing at the road junction at Priestfield with its pan bent back  on itself at 15.45 today - no sign of any staff around it so presumably had been there some time.
The traffic lights/crossing on the A41 were out presumably because where it was standing they would have been stuck on red.
;
Can't find anything on network WM website and the link from there to NXWM website (where it reports no service beyond Wednesbury) doesn't seem to work. The CIS at The Royal appeared to be showing trams running normally.

monkeyjoe

It's going to be shut for two weeks and replaced by a 30 min bus service. What is the point with a 30 min frequency? Unless it is really that much un used.

danny

The entire route or just a section?
Danny :) proud swift, mango and oyster user...

My locals 12, 12A, 13, 22, 126, and the sixes every weekend :)

John

Quote from: danny on February 15, 2013, 06:16:34 PM
The entire route or just a section?

All of it. There is a replacement bus service ML1 running

Stuharris 6360

They have to extend the platforms to accomodate the new trams, but what use a 30 min replacement bus service will be is debatable.

Better to bring back the 79 from Wolverhampton to Birmingham for 2 weeks running a 10 min frequency!
Pensnett is my local garage. Favourite bus of all time is Fleetline 6360 (KON 360P).

Stu

Quote from: Stuharris 6360 on February 15, 2013, 06:55:25 PM
They have to extend the platforms to accomodate the new trams, but what use a 30 min replacement bus service will be is debatable.

Better to bring back the 79 from Wolverhampton to Birmingham for 2 weeks running a 10 min frequency!

The replacement bus service is limited, as there are already alternative rail and bus options in place, and not everyone uses the Metro to travel the whole route.

http://networkwestmidlands.com/metro/closure.aspx

To travel direct from Wolverhampton to Birmingham (and vice-versa), the cheapest alternative option would be the 126 bus, the fastest would be the train.

For Birmingham to West Bromwich, there's already the 74 and 75 bus services. And between Wolverhampton and West Bromwich there is the 79 bus.
My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

Ash

I wonder what garage will be operating the service or it may be shared between Wolverhampton and West Bromwich.

Stuharris 6360

Quote from: Ash on February 15, 2013, 08:29:15 PM
I wonder what garage will be operating the service or it may be shared between Wolverhampton and West Bromwich.

Maybe BC could operate some to!
Pensnett is my local garage. Favourite bus of all time is Fleetline 6360 (KON 360P).

Ash

Quote from: Stuharris 6360 on February 15, 2013, 08:50:55 PM
Quote from: Ash on February 15, 2013, 08:29:15 PM

Maybe BC could operate some to!

They could I just thought Wolverhampton and West Bromwich drivers would be more familiar to the to route it takes after operating the 79 or part of the service (74/75).

JIM H

Friday's 15/2/13 Express & Star reported that the railway line between Wolverhampton and Sandwell & Dudley stations
will be closed from 28/3/13 until 2/4/13 for work to be done south of Wolverhampton station. There will be a bus replacement
service in operation. This partially coincides with the closure of the Metro. So only buses will be going towards Birmingham from
Wolverhampton over Easter.

Westy

Quote from: JIM H on February 16, 2013, 12:36:11 AM
Friday's 15/2/13 Express & Star reported that the railway line between Wolverhampton and Sandwell & Dudley stations
will be closed from 28/3/13 until 2/4/13 for work to be done south of Wolverhampton station. There will be a bus replacement
service in operation. This partially coincides with the closure of the Metro. So only buses will be going towards Birmingham from
Wolverhampton over Easter.

What about the Bescot non stop diversion?

(Which will probably mean reduced Walsall / Chase Line services, to fit in the diverted trains!)

JIM H

There's no mention of a Bescot diversion, only that there will be no Virgin services between Birmingham and Wolverhampton, only a London Midland shuttle service between Birmingham and Sandwell & Dudley.

mikestone

The work is renewal of Crane Street junction at the south end so the only route will be via reversal at Bushbury and that is only being used by ECS. Cambrian trains are running from Salop to Crewe, Holyhead, Shrewsbury and Liverpool trains will terminate at Wolves.

Solo1

Why is the tram replacement  only running monday-Saturday what about
a Sunday service as people still travel could have it every hour

Sh4318

I wonder what the New Street to Sandwell & Dudley train shuttles will be operated by. Probably the 323s
Class 153, 155 and 156. The Super Sprinters
Local Routes: 21, 89, 48/A, 12/A, 54/A
Semi-local routes: 80, 87

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk