News:

Please do have a browse through the forums or use the Search functionality before posting a new topic - chances are there is already a discussion underway on that subject, or your question has already been answered previously!

Main Menu

More Limited Stop Services

Started by winston, April 14, 2012, 05:41:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MW

Quote from: NathanJC on April 23, 2012, 05:27:08 PM
Quote from: 4504 on April 22, 2012, 08:16:14 PM
I'm not talking about just NXWM buses I'm talking about buses in general... 213/214, 208, 238, 141, 297, 123.

Even with the 3 NXWM routes, that's 6 buses an hour. With other services. That's 11 buses an hour

Quote from: NathanJC on April 22, 2012, 07:49:39 PM
theres not many NXWM buses from cradley heath to Merry Hill only 238,141 as i can recall

What if you only have a NXWM bus pass ? therfore you only got 3 buses with all Half hourly service wich yes does create a quite frequent service

Buy a nbus then!

Ash

Yeah but for what its worth the 404H could be a good service weekdays there is only the 238 from West Bromwich, Oldbury and Black heath weekdays to Merry Hill and im sure if people want to go clothes shopping would choose Merry Hill over Birmingham if there was better more frequent and quicker bus services as at the moment people just jump on the 74/75/82/89/127/128/120/140 to Birmingham form Wesr Bromwich, Oldbury or Blackheath

It could work, but I was just showing that there are alternatives.

Quote from: Ash on April 23, 2012, 11:09:31 PM
Yeah but for what its worth the 404H could be a good service weekdays there is only the 238 from West Bromwich, Oldbury and Black heath weekdays to Merry Hill and im sure if people want to go clothes shopping would choose Merry Hill over Birmingham if there was better more frequent and quicker bus services as at the moment people just jump on the 74/75/82/89/127/128/120/140 to Birmingham form Wesr Bromwich, Oldbury or Blakcheath

Nathan4775

Quote from: Michael on April 23, 2012, 11:07:23 PM
I'm not talking about just NXWM buses I'm talking about buses in general... 213/214, 208, 238, 141, 297, 123.

Even with the 3 NXWM routes, that's 6 buses an hour. With other services. That's 11 buses an hour

theres not many NXWM buses from cradley heath to Merry Hill only 238,141 as i can recall

What if you only have a NXWM bus pass ? therfore you only got 3 buses with all Half hourly service wich yes does create a quite frequent service

Buy a nbus then!

I have got 1 thanks  ;D

Yeah but for what its worth the 404H could be a good service weekdays there is only the 238 from West Bromwich, Oldbury and Black heath weekdays to Merry Hill and im sure if people want to go clothes shopping would choose Merry Hill over Birmingham if there was better more frequent and quicker bus services as at the moment people just jump on the 74/75/82/89/127/128/120/140 to Birmingham form Wesr Bromwich, Oldbury or Blackheath

Serivce 404H would benift highly from it working Weekdays I think, so couldnt WB Withdrawn Daytime journeys on the 404A with 404H 8)
My Flickr;
http://www.flickr.com/photos/90949252@N04/
-----------------------------------------------------------------
4775, 4770, 4697, 4698 , 4141, 4444, 4555

The 404 is ran by WA not WB

Quote from: NathanJC on April 24, 2012, 12:30:39 PM
Quote from: Michael on April 23, 2012, 11:07:23 PM

Buy a nbus then!

I have got 1 thanks  ;D

Serivce 404H would benift highly from it working Weekdays I think, so couldnt WB Withdrawn Daytime journeys on the 404A with 404H 8)

Liberator9

I went on the 9 for the first time yesterday from B'ham to Stourbridge. It is a good route and didn't take long to get out of Birmingham. BUT it took over an hour and I caught the train and the time saved by the latter is amazing. Same for routes like the 37 to Birmingham. Less than 20 minutes on the train, just over an hour on the 37. So I would say to introduce an express 9 (X9) and a express 37 (37X) or 6 (6X). Although I suppose there is the 957, but that could do with a new fleet of Enviros perhaps.

Stu

Express services wouldn't work on the Stratford Road, the road is too narrow going through Sparkbrook, they'd get slowed down at peak times when the traffic congests.
My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

wilmotm (Matt Wilmot)

An hour on the 9? You obviously got one of PE's more sedate drivers! I've done it in around 45 minutes before but then he was absolutely flying along. The only problem with an X9 is that I don't know that many people who travel the whole route. A lot just go Stourbridge to Halesowen or Halesowen to Birmingham. Another issue with limited stop services is in the title, there are less stops at which to pick up potential fare paying customers which means a drop in revenue and I personally don't think that an X route along these two routes would attract enough extra passengers to make up the shortfall. Plus the fact both Stourbridge and Solihull have very good rail links along with being fairly wealthy places. Another worry I would have with an X9 is that PE garage is already under enough pressure as it is with not enough Double Deckers to go round, especially because of peak early morning and evening to night runs. So I doubt any extra service could run out of PE.

Nathan4775

Quote from: wilmotm on April 29, 2012, 09:33:02 AM
An hour on the 9? You obviously got one of PE's more sedate drivers! I've done it in around 45 minutes before but then he was absolutely flying along. The only problem with an X9 is that I don't know that many people who travel the whole route. A lot just go Stourbridge to Halesowen or Halesowen to Birmingham. Another issue with limited stop services is in the title, there are less stops at which to pick up potential fare paying customers which means a drop in revenue and I personally don't think that an X route along these two routes would attract enough extra passengers to make up the shortfall. Plus the fact both Stourbridge and Solihull have very good rail links along with being fairly wealthy places. Another worry I would have with an X9 is that PE garage is already under enough pressure as it is with not enough Double Deckers to go round, especially because of peak early morning and evening to night runs. So I doubt any extra service could run out of PE.

PE could always use the Enviro400's off the original 9 for the X9  8)
My Flickr;
http://www.flickr.com/photos/90949252@N04/
-----------------------------------------------------------------
4775, 4770, 4697, 4698 , 4141, 4444, 4555

wilmotm (Matt Wilmot)

Well to do that the frequency of the normal 9 would have to be cut drastically as there just isn't enough Enviro's at PE to facilitate the addition of another route. PE struggle with the 9 as it is and with a PVR of around 21 I think was mentioned you only need a couple of buses to be off the road or break down and then you're stuck. And I personally cannot see the frequency of the normal 9 being touched whatosever. And crucially the most important factor is the train!

Ash

I hardly use the 9 and know its enviro 400 operated but like mentioned about struggling to cope with keeping the 9 all enviro 400 operated does it ever see mercs or b6le's oeprating on it at all

wilmotm (Matt Wilmot)

Not to my knowledge, never seen a Merc or B6 on the 9. Plus come the summer these buses wouldn't be allowed into the City Centre anyway! Seen a new B7RLE once on their so this could potentially be an option for PE but like with the Enviro's there's not enough of these either! As routes 120 and 140 and the interworked 241 MUST have the B7's. The 141 is also another potential problem as this sometimes sees a Merc, but come the Emission regulations must see a B7 or an Enviro putting even greater strain on PE's Low Emission and Double Deck capacity.

Ash

A suggestion of a good limited stop service would be the X529 between Walsall and Wolverhampton the service could run non stop between Walsall and Junction 10 and then stopping at very few then through to Wolverhampton, i think this would be successful as the train takes around 40 minutes as it goes via Birmingham New Street and im sure a limited stop service would be quicker.

winston

I vaguely recelect a B6 has been reported on the 9, this was a while ago, don't recall a Merc being on there though. The odd Volvo B7RLE has also appeared on the route

Quote from: wilmotm on April 29, 2012, 01:47:30 PM
Not to my knowledge, never seen a Merc or B6 on the 9. Plus come the summer these buses wouldn't be allowed into the City Centre anyway! Seen a new B7RLE once on their so this could potentially be an option for PE but like with the Enviro's there's not enough of these either! As routes 120 and 140 and the interworked 241 MUST have the B7's. The 141 is also another potential problem as this sometimes sees a Merc, but come the Emission regulations must see a B7 or an Enviro putting even greater strain on PE's Low Emission and Double Deck capacity.

I think maybe an X141E or something would be appropriate, so it follows the 141 route to Halesowen and terminates there.

Depends what time you travel on the 9 to be honest, from Halesowen - Birmingham it's usually about 40-45 minutes

Quote from: wilmotm on April 29, 2012, 09:33:02 AM

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk