News:

Please do have a browse through the forums or use the Search functionality before posting a new topic - chances are there is already a discussion underway on that subject, or your question has already been answered previously!

Main Menu

stay local, pay local

Started by 2206, May 19, 2017, 04:34:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sonic84

Quote from: wulfrun on August 21, 2019, 10:19:08 PM
Why does Wolverhampton not have a SLPL Zone?

Wolverhampton is the smallest Borough in the County, yet to venture to/from city centre to the city suburbs, or across the city, you pay the highest fares in the County.

Day travel:
Cost of travel in Wolverhampton is £4.60 compared to just £3 across the border in neighbouring Walsall; a borough that is 1.5 times bigger than Wolverhampton.

Regular commuters:
Walsillians are charged £456 p/a (monthly SLPL DD @ £38) for their travels around a 40 miles2 area + Bilston & West Brom Bus Stations, but Wulfrunians pay £634.80 p/a (Black Country Monthly DD @ £52.90) to travel shorter distances within a city borough no bigger than 26.8 miles2.

Therefore Wulfrunians pay £178.80 p/a more (+39.2%) to travel across a Borough that is 2/3 the size of Walsall or 1/2 of the size of the Sandwell and Dudley SLPL Zone, to gain access to a NX Bus network that provides travel solutions in the West of the city,  for journeys between 0.8 - 1.3 miles, that are quicker to walk in 15-45mins during working hours BEFORE you take congestion into consideration.

Is this "fare"?

Why should people living and commuting to work/shop in Wolverhampton, have to pay for a ticket that gives them access to places as far away as Hednesford?

What use is a ticket to Hednesford, when you spend 5 days a week commuting 3.5 miles to work in Wolverhampton city centre?

A bus only trip to Hednesford, once in a while, is better served on a Day Saver. Walsillians can pay for a ticket that does not cover travel to Perton or Halesowen. So why can't Wulfrunians be treated the same – in the ONLY city NX Bus boast on the sides of their buses they are so "proud to support"?

There is no such gloating on the sides of NX Buses in Walsall or Dudley – where residents in those boroughs are able to travel distances twice as far as in Wolverhampton for 2/3 the price.

Why can't people living in the NW of the County have a choice of ticket that matches their actual travel needs: SLPL or Black Country or WM County?

This is one of the things that does baffle me too.

There is no denying that the stay local pay local is great value for those who only travel within the permitted areas however it almost seems unfair that you can travel from Stourbridge to West Bromwich for example for less than a return trip from Quinton to Halesowen.

Stu

Quote from: wulfrun on August 21, 2019, 10:19:08 PM
Why does Wolverhampton not have a SLPL Zone?

Wolverhampton is the smallest Borough in the County, yet to venture to/from city centre to the city suburbs, or across the city, you pay the highest fares in the County.

Day travel:
Cost of travel in Wolverhampton is £4.60 compared to just £3 across the border in neighbouring Walsall; a borough that is 1.5 times bigger than Wolverhampton.

Regular commuters:
Walsillians are charged £456 p/a (monthly SLPL DD @ £38) for their travels around a 40 miles2 area + Bilston & West Brom Bus Stations, but Wulfrunians pay £634.80 p/a (Black Country Monthly DD @ £52.90) to travel shorter distances within a city borough no bigger than 26.8 miles2.

Therefore Wulfrunians pay £178.80 p/a more (+39.2%) to travel across a Borough that is 2/3 the size of Walsall or 1/2 of the size of the Sandwell and Dudley SLPL Zone, to gain access to a NX Bus network that provides travel solutions in the West of the city,  for journeys between 0.8 - 1.3 miles, that are quicker to walk in 15-45mins during working hours BEFORE you take congestion into consideration.

Is this "fare"?

Why should people living and commuting to work/shop in Wolverhampton, have to pay for a ticket that gives them access to places as far away as Hednesford?

What use is a ticket to Hednesford, when you spend 5 days a week commuting 3.5 miles to work in Wolverhampton city centre?

A bus only trip to Hednesford, once in a while, is better served on a Day Saver. Walsillians can pay for a ticket that does not cover travel to Perton or Halesowen. So why can't Wulfrunians be treated the same – in the ONLY city NX Bus boast on the sides of their buses they are so "proud to support"?

There is no such gloating on the sides of NX Buses in Walsall or Dudley – where residents in those boroughs are able to travel distances twice as far as in Wolverhampton for 2/3 the price.

Why can't people living in the NW of the County have a choice of ticket that matches their actual travel needs: SLPL or Black Country or WM County?

You make some valid points, but equally the same could be said for the people of Birmingham, particularly those who live within the Outer Circle limits. One can travel from Longbridge to Sutton Coldfield on a £3 Local Daysaver (obviously using the 11A/C Outer Circle to skirt around the city), but that doesn't help those who live in places like Moseley, Edgbaston, Saltley, Aston or Nechells for example.
My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

Quote from: Stu on August 22, 2019, 08:08:25 PM
You make some valid points, but equally the same could be said for the people of Birmingham, particularly those who live within the Outer Circle limits. One can travel from Longbridge to Sutton Coldfield on a £3 Local Daysaver (obviously using the 11A/C Outer Circle to skirt around the city), but that doesn't help those who live in places like Moseley, Edgbaston, Saltley, Aston or Nechells for example.
I doubt many people would make a journey that long by bus anyway, even less would by talking a longer route and going around the outside of the City Centre on the 11. Most will go the quickest way.
Lots of people on the 11 travel for short trips e.g. Acocks Green to Yardley, Yardley to Fox and Goose, etc. Probably most people as well.
Local Routes
94/95, 11A/11C, 28.

Stu

Quote from: 2206 on August 22, 2019, 08:15:02 PM
I doubt many people would make a journey that long by bus anyway, even less would by talking a longer route and going around the outside of the City Centre on the 11. Most will go the quickest way.
Lots of people on the 11 travel for short trips e.g. Acocks Green to Yardley, Yardley to Fox and Goose, etc. Probably most people as well.

I'm well aware of that. You're missing the point that I was making, in that the comments being made about Wolverhampton apply equally to Birmingham, with the exception of the suburbs beyond the A4040 covered by the Local Daysaver.
My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

Quote from: Stu on August 22, 2019, 08:28:55 PM
I'm well aware of that. You're missing the point that I was making, in that the comments being made about Wolverhampton apply equally to Birmingham, with the exception of the suburbs beyond the A4040 covered by the Local Daysaver.
You could probably say the same for some of the passengers travelling out of Solihull on the 72/X12/X2 if they are only going as far as Damsonwood, Old Lode Lane, Land Rover or the Wheatsheaf. But presumably not every area can have discounted fares.
Local Routes
94/95, 11A/11C, 28.

Trident 4194

Quote from: sonic84 on August 22, 2019, 07:29:39 PM
This is one of the things that does baffle me too.

There is no denying that the stay local pay local is great value for those who only travel within the permitted areas however it almost seems unfair that you can travel from Stourbridge to West Bromwich for example for less than a return trip from Quinton to Halesowen.

Indeed the £4 return from Halesowen to Quinton is way too steep in my opinion.

Dom

Quote from: Trident 4194 on August 22, 2019, 09:30:57 PM
Indeed the £4 return from Halesowen to Quinton is way too steep in my opinion.

Only £3 to Quinton Church.

Trident 4194

Quote from: Dom on August 22, 2019, 09:33:42 PM
Only £3 to Quinton Church.

Again a stupid rule, what about if I wanted to go 3 stops further? Hollybush etc?

Tony

Quote from: Trident 4194 on August 22, 2019, 09:35:11 PM
Again a stupid rule, what about if I wanted to go 3 stops further? Hollybush etc?

I presume you haven't noticed that all over the country  on all forms of travel there's rising scales based on distance

Trident 4194

Quote from: Tony on August 22, 2019, 10:02:19 PM
I presume you haven't noticed that all over the country  on all forms of travel there's rising scales based on distance

West Bromwich is much further than a few stops past Quinton church.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk