News:

Please do have a browse through the forums or use the Search functionality before posting a new topic - chances are there is already a discussion underway on that subject, or your question has already been answered previously!

Main Menu

If you had the chance to modify or add any service, what would you do?

Started by Alex, November 15, 2014, 06:30:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jack

Quote from: 2206 on June 22, 2017, 07:12:50 PM
The main reason it carries few passengers between Birmingham and Shirley is because most people have NX passes and tickets @Stu, which have the benefit of being cheaper than N bus passes (slightly) and passengers can use the majority of services across the West Midlands .
Or maybe because there are more frequent services along the Stratford Road. The 6 and 37 are the most frequent services along there.

Quote from: Jack B on June 22, 2017, 07:19:20 PM
Or maybe because there are more frequent services along the Stratford Road. The 6 and 37 are the most frequent services along there.
That to yes, so people have NX passes and tickets for that reason.
Local Routes
94/95, 11A/11C, 28.

Stu

Quote from: 2206 on June 22, 2017, 07:12:50 PM
The main reason it carries few passengers between Birmingham and Shirley is because most people have NX passes and tickets @Stu, which have the benefit of being cheaper than N bus passes (slightly) and passengers can use the majority of services across the West Midlands .

Quote from: Jack B on June 22, 2017, 07:19:20 PM

Because it is limited stop between Hall Green and Birmingham, passengers won't catch it if it doesn't stop at their chosen stop. The journey time is not much quicker though during peaks, as their buses still have to sit in the same queue of traffic or wait behind 'all-stops' buses at stops it doesn't call at because it can't overtake.
My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

Trident 4194

Quote from: Stu on June 22, 2017, 07:49:09 PM
Because it is limited stop between Hall Green and Birmingham, passengers won't catch it if it doesn't stop at their chosen stop. The journey time is not much quicker though during peaks, as their buses still have to sit in the same queue of traffic or wait behind 'all-stops' buses at stops it doesn't call at because it can't overtake.

Nx travel card does have too much power I must admit

Stu

Quote from: Trident 4194 on June 22, 2017, 08:05:13 PM
Nx travel card does have too much power I must admit

If you've got an nBus pass, or cash in your hand, and you're stood at the stop on Camp Hill and only want to go to Ladypool Road or Main Street in Sparkbrook (as an example), the X20 is never going to be an option for you, because it doesn't stop at those stops, thats my point with regards to limited stop services.
My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

Jack

Quote from: Stu on June 22, 2017, 07:49:09 PM
Seen it loads of times sitting in the traffic. They can never overtake unless nothing is coming in the other direction, which is very rare if they do. I recall riding a 2 last year with an X20 stuck right behind from Showell Green Lane to Palmerston Road.

MW

Quote from: Alex on June 22, 2017, 12:10:22 PM
Just a thought to try to improve some of the services with the South Birmingham review fairly soon.

1) Five Ways - Edgbaston Cricket Ground - Moseley - Acocks Green - Gospel Oak
Changes: Will terminate at Acocks Green, en route for Gospel Oak. See 31 for
         services between Acocks Green & Gospel Oak.

2) Birmingham - Sparkhill - Billesley - Warstock - Maypole
3) Birmingham - Sparkhill - Billesley - Yardley Wood
Changes: 2 & 3 rerouted between City & Yardley Wood Road, serving Bordesley Middleway,
         A4540 Highgate Road & Stoney Lane.
         Showell Green Lane will no longer be served by service 2.

5) Birmingham - Sparkhill - Sarehole Mill - Shirley - Widney Manor - Solihull
Changes: Will no longer continue beyond Shirley, towards Solihull. See new service X7 for
         these areas.

X7) Birmingham - non stop to Shirley - Widney Manor - Solihull Town Centre - Solihull Station
Changes: New service, will operate every 20 minutes Monday to Saturday daytime,
         every 30 minutes Evenings & Sundays. Flexible routing to avoid traffic
         between Shirley, Saracens Head & Birmingham city centre.

Not quite done yet, but that's a rough overview of what I've got so far.

I pretty much agree with Stu here. The 1 only runs to Gospel Oak every 20 mins, as oppose to every 10 mins between Five Ways & Acocks Green. The purpose of the extension to Gospel Oak is merely to link to Acocks Green village. It follows a different route to the 31, so I don't think you can say that they have the 31.

What you've said about using the 31 as an alternative is like withdrawing WA997 and saying, see WAX51 between City & Walsall. What about in between?

The 2/3 idea is quite bad tbh. You can fit any NXWM bus under that bridge as far as I'm aware (as it's taller than it says) but officially only unto 14"3. The AG Geminis fit underneath, I've seen Tridents on diversion go underneath there, but this was before the bridge height was adjusted. You won't save anytime at peaks on this diversion. You could add time to the current route in some cases. Also, as Stu says, you're reducing capacity on Stratford Road, and basically straining everything else. Personally I disagree with the 6 & 37 being single deck operated, and taking away the 2/3 would definitely impact those services even more than they are already. I hate using the 6/37 out of City.

The 5 being curtailed at Shirley. This is something that I think would greatly improve the reliability of the service, and I agree with it. However, I would replace it with the current 6A, but just run it during the day, at every 20 mins.

X7. Again, agree with Stu. Look at the X20. The X20 may aswell use all the stops between Hall Green & City Centre. It's still sitting in the same traffic.

Jack

Quote from: MW on June 22, 2017, 08:55:02 PM
I pretty much agree with Stu here. The 1 only runs to Gospel Oak every 20 mins, as oppose to every 10 mins between Five Ways & Acocks Green. The purpose of the extension to Gospel Oak is merely to link to Acocks Green village. It follows a different route to the 31, so I don't think you can say that they have the 31.

What you've said about using the 31 as an alternative is like withdrawing WA997 and saying, see WAX51 between City & Walsall. What about in between?

The 2/3 idea is quite bad tbh. You can fit any NXWM bus under that bridge as far as I'm aware (as it's taller than it says) but officially only unto 14"3. The AG Geminis fit underneath, I've seen Tridents on diversion go underneath there, but this was before the bridge height was adjusted. You won't save anytime at peaks on this diversion. You could add time to the current route in some cases. Also, as Stu says, you're reducing capacity on Stratford Road, and basically straining everything else. Personally I disagree with the 6 & 37 being single deck operated, and taking away the 2/3 would definitely impact those services even more than they are already. I hate using the 6/37 out of City.

The 5 being curtailed at Shirley. This is something that I think would greatly improve the reliability of the service, and I agree with it. However, I would replace it with the current 6A, but just run it during the day, at every 20 mins.

X7. Again, agree with Stu. Look at the X20. The X20 may aswell use all the stops between Hall Green & City Centre. It's still sitting in the same traffic.
TBH Bordesley Middleway gets rammed heading towards Camp Hill in the evening Peak. Personally, I think all the Stratford Routes are fine.

I'm not a fan on Single Deckers on the 6/37 either, but there was drop of vandalism when the 6 went Single Deck in 2010. Personally, I would swap the Single Deckers with Deckers on the 6 and SD's on the 2/3. Doubt that would happen though, they'd probably be a rise in vandalism on the 6.

Quote from: MW on June 22, 2017, 08:55:02 PM
Its every 20 minutes across the full route, every 10 between Five Ways and Acocks Green in the peaks @MW. In the peaks at the 10 minute frequency, some of the 1 journeys can be completely empty, 2207 on the 15:37 only picked up 6 people all the way from Acocks Green to Five Ways the other day.
Local Routes
94/95, 11A/11C, 28.

MW

Quote from: 2206 on June 22, 2017, 09:07:20 PM
Its every 20 minutes across the full route, every 10 between Five Ways and Acocks Green in the peaks @MW.

Isn't that what I said.

As for how many people use the service, it depends when your seeing it. It does get very full at peaks in and around Moseley, in my experience.

Quote from: MW on June 22, 2017, 09:20:50 PM
Isn't that what I said.

As for how many people use the service, it depends when your seeing it. It does get very full at peaks in and around Moseley, in my experience.
No you said, The 1 only runs to Gospel Oak every 20 mins, as oppose to every 10 mins between Five Ways & Acocks Green.
But its every 20 across the full route and only every 10 in the peaks between Acocks Green and Five Ways.
Local Routes
94/95, 11A/11C, 28.

MW

Quote from: 2206 on June 22, 2017, 09:22:58 PM
No you said, The 1 only runs to Gospel Oak every 20 mins, as oppose to every 10 mins between Five Ways & Acocks Green.
But its every 20 across the full route and only every 10 in the peaks between Acocks Green and Five Ways.

Sorry. I don't understand what you're saying. You're just saying what I said in different words. What is your point?

Quote from: MW on June 22, 2017, 09:31:19 PM
Sorry. I don't understand what you're saying. You're just saying what I said in different words. What is your point?
Its not because your post never said anything about it just being ever 10 minutes in the peaks and that at other times its every 20.
You said "the 1 runs to Gospel Oak ever 20 mins, as opposed to every 10 mins between Acocks Green and Five Ways".
I said "Its every 20 minutes across the full route, every 10 between Five Ways and Acocks Green in the peaks".
Quite different posts.
Local Routes
94/95, 11A/11C, 28.

Ashley 60171

Quote from: Stu on June 22, 2017, 08:49:50 PM
If you've got an nBus pass, or cash in your hand, and you're stood at the stop on Camp Hill and only want to go to Ladypool Road or Main Street in Sparkbrook (as an example), the X20 is never going to be an option for you, because it doesn't stop at those stops, thats my point with regards to limited stop services.

You off your rocker mate? They don't know what bus fares are in Camp Hill and Ladywood.

Quote from: Ashley 60171 on June 22, 2017, 10:07:17 PM
You off your rocker mate? They don't know what bus fares are in Camp Hill and Ladywood.
He means Camp Hill Island in the Digbeth area, just outside Birmingham City Centre not Camp Hill in Smethwick. @Ashley 60171
Local Routes
94/95, 11A/11C, 28.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk