News:

Please do have a browse through the forums or use the Search functionality before posting a new topic - chances are there is already a discussion underway on that subject, or your question has already been answered previously!

Main Menu

VDL/DAF sb200

Started by Bob, October 19, 2013, 02:50:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob

I wondered what people's thoughts and views were on this type of bus? Personally I think theyre horrendous.  Horrifically underpowered to the point where they cant even pull off from a stop without sounding like they're going to combust. Very noisy especially when required to do any speed. Arriva must love them as theyve standardised on them for yonks. No other major firm has bothered with them though have they?

Tony

Quote from: bob on October 19, 2013, 02:50:25 PM
I wondered what people's thoughts and views were on this type of bus? Personally I think theyre horrendous.  Horrifically underpowered to the point where they cant even pull off from a stop without sounding like they're going to combust. Very noisy especially when required to do any speed. Arriva must love them as theyve standardised on them for yonks. No other major firm has bothered with them though have they?

Claribels seem to quite like them

Bob

Hardly a major operator though tony a couple of Birmingham bus routes

trident4370

I like them and personally think they are the best new Single Decker bus on the market at the moment, certainly the only decent chassis available from Wrights. The reason Arriva like them is probably because Arriva is the VDL Dealer for the UK and I think they had something to do with the design of them too.

Bob

Why are they so badly underpowered and noisy though? As I say particularly when pulling off or going at a bit of speed. They really struggle with hills like Bradbury lane in Hednesford,  they sound like they're going to blow up on a hill that a volvo would make short work of lol

Nathan4775

Quote from: bob on October 19, 2013, 04:18:27 PM
Hardly a major operator though tony a couple of Birmingham bus routes

Claribels run the 55 & 94 into Birmingham  :)
My Flickr;
http://www.flickr.com/photos/90949252@N04/
-----------------------------------------------------------------
4775, 4770, 4697, 4698 , 4141, 4444, 4555

Bob

Yea 2 routes lol theyre with the big guys :-p

nitromatt1

I quite like the modern ones, but not so fond of the older ones, as Bob said they seem underpowered and noisy (not a good noisy!)

Bob

Every single 52 plate sb200 in the fleet has been refurbished apart from cannocks, which maybe why they look and sound so poor. Maybe they'll be next up for refurb :) with that and a repaint and some new branding they might be a bit better

bwsau cymru

I love the commanders and pulsars are a good replacement. I would like to see more on the road would love to see a replacement for the daf cadet!

Arriva own daf bus uk dealership and obvious because of that get a very good deal when they buy them. There big benefits are they have great fuel consumption at 9.sommat mpg and a light weight chaisis so its operating costs are low whilst still being able to carry a large load.

they only have a 4.9 litre engine which is why maybe you think they are underpowered but I think they are quiet powerful, go for a ride down the ep in telford on the 44 in one yourll see they go!!! Comparing it to a citaro yes they are slow but citaros are epic.

now you take a daf and put it with one of these new Volvos eclipses or an enviro and the daf will win hands down.

and I think cannocks ones are good. the 02 plate ones could do with an internal refurb but not that desperate for it compared to some of the Volvo alx400's and y reg alx400 operated by nx.

Good sound buses that do a good job keep them coming!
campaigning for better transport for all

nx4737

Quote from: bob on October 19, 2013, 02:50:25 PM

I thought you covered this subject before, like, in every thread in the Arriva category?

Bob

Maybe you'd like to move it if its bothering you :)

Ashley

I like Commanders and Pulsars alot. Pulsar 2's are much better than B7RLE Eclipse 2's

Bob

Quote from: dannygill on November 06, 2013, 11:58:53 PM
I love the commanders and pulsars are a good replacement. I would like to see more on the road would love to see a replacement for the daf cadet!

Arriva own daf bus uk dealership and obvious because of that get a very good deal when they buy them. There big benefits are they have great fuel consumption at 9.sommat mpg and a light weight chaisis so its operating costs are low whilst still being able to carry a large load.

they only have a 4.9 litre engine which is why maybe you think they are underpowered but I think they are quiet powerful, go for a ride down the ep in telford on the 44 in one yourll see they go!!! Comparing it to a citaro yes they are slow but citaros are epic.

now you take a daf and put it with one of these new Volvos eclipses or an enviro and the daf will win hands down.

and I think cannocks ones are good. the 02 plate ones could do with an internal refurb but not that desperate for it compared to some of the Volvo alx400's and y reg alx400 operated by nx.

If theyre as great as you say why dont any other big group like first/stagecoach/rotala/nx/wellglade/veolia bother with them???

nx4737

Quote from: bob on November 07, 2013, 07:39:13 PM
Quote from: dannygill on November 06, 2013, 11:58:53 PM

If theyre as great as you say why dont any other big group like first/stagecoach/rotala/nx/wellglade/veolia bother with them???

First buy second hand 15 year old Canteo Darts because they're always skint.

Stagecoach have some connection with ADL, hence they buy ADL.

NX have standardized on the B7RLE.

Wellglade seem to have a mix of everything.

Veola... can they be classed as a big group?

I give up.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk