News:

Reminder to all members: please keep thread discussions 'on-topic' - this is a structured discussion forum, not a general 'group chat'!

Main Menu

Questions for the NXWM Operations Director

Started by NX OD, July 24, 2013, 10:01:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NX OD

Quote from: arrifirststage on July 24, 2013, 08:06:31 PM
Hello Simon,
Obviously,as OD,you see actual figures but casual observations seem to suggest that the 71A (certainly) and the 638 (possibly)may not be the company's biggest earners.
Would it improve matters if the two were joined (with a slight rerouting in Castle Vale) to form a Sutton-Erdington route.I would suggest additionally routing the 71A out of Sutton via Coleshill Street,Lisures Drive,Far Highfield,Retford Drive,Preston Avenue and Sir Alfreds Way,rejoining the present route on Walmley Road.
This would give a service to the Newhall Estate,presently only having an hourly tendered route by WMSNT.
Also,the large ASDA Minworth store would be reachable from Chester Road and The Yenton.
I should perhaps declare an interest since I live on Newhall Estate,but this merely convinces me such a move,if well advertised,could be feasable.I would even be willing to put leaflets,advertising the route,through letterboxes on Newhall Estate.Perhaps it could be route 70?

Hi arrifirststage,

Thanks for the suggestions and for the offer of help.  I don't live too far away from you!

Funnily enough we have been debating joining the 71A and 638 together for some time.  The 638 is a good route and people like it.  The 71A is something and nothing really.  There is a plan emerging for the 71/71A/72 for the Autumn, which is why we have been discussing the 71A/638 idea.

JB93

Quote from: NX OD on July 24, 2013, 09:18:35 PM
Quote from: JB93 on July 24, 2013, 04:47:11 PM
Hey Simon!

I know you'll be busy replying to all the questions before this, but I just thought I'd ask if there are any plans to improve or upgrade East Birmingham's services in the near future? i.e. new buses, improved frequencies, new routes etc.? I only ask because it seems a lot of the focus lately has been on North Birmingham, Walsall and Wolverhampton and it seems they've had their fill of brand new buses if I'm honest. You can't go up the Birchfield Road without 90% of buses being an Enviro400, and if you go into East Birmingham it just seems to be decade-old Tridents, similarly aged ALX400s on the 94, and the odd unrefurbished Omnilink dotted about. I know the Coventry Road has just received new Enviros for 2 of it's routes but the point remains, you go anywhere in East Birmingham and the only routes you'll see with brand spanking new buses are the 71/72, and maybe the 94 if an Enviro creeps out of North Birmingham. Even the 97, which I thought would become a high profile route now being the only one to run 24 hours and connecting many areas to the airport, is using, albeit branded, old Tridents. It seems that since Lea Hall closed down, the standards and upkeep of East Birmingham's routes have been neglected.
I just thought maybe some investment in the future is needed to bring East Birmingham up to the standards that Walsall, Wolverhampton and North Birmingham (especially Pheasey) are now enjoying.

Kind Regards :)

Hi JB,

I will use this reply to answer all the posts about East Birmingham.

I don't think that we view East Birmingham as being neglected.  The 71/72 have had new buses and the Coventry Road Enviro's are in place now as well.  The buses on the 97 have all been refurbished as well.  The 17 and 55 have also benefited recently from having been converted to all Scania recently, some of which are being repainted at the moment.

We are planning on upgrading the 94 for early 2014 but this will be through cascades of newer buses from other routes rather than brand new.

Thanks for the reply Simon. It's great that the 94 will soon be upgraded, but is there no chance of it getting new buses seeing as the Sutton Lines have already been upgraded in the past few years whilst the 94 still soldiers on using decade-old ALX400s? I appreciate the improvements made to some East Birmingham services but it still feels as though North Birmingham, Walsall and Wolverhampton are prioritised over areas in need of investment. If you compare Chelmsley Wood's bus terminal to let's say, Pheasey or Sutton Coldfield, you'll see a radically different picture and standard of the buses that operate there.

NX OD

Quote from: pb2012 on July 24, 2013, 08:48:20 PM
I would like to know are there any demonstrators due for evaluation,also are you planning/considering on using any other manufacturers other than adl/Volvo*wrightbus combination in the new vehicle order,also why havn't you used mcv bodywork for Volvo b7rle instead of just using wrightbus,costs aside.

Hi pb2012,

This is not really my area to be honest.  As far as I know there are no demonstrators due.

NX OD

Quote from: uniquicity on July 24, 2013, 09:09:07 PM
1592 still has the intermediate logos Simon ;) unless it still has them because it is due to be withdrawn.

Hi,

I will try and get this one sorted.

NX OD

Quote from: jnl1984 on July 24, 2013, 09:28:47 PM
Hi Simon.

Can i start by commenting how commendable i think it is that you come on here and answer questions in the way you are.

Which leads me on to...

With the supposed South West Birmingham review due to take place, is there any thought or been mention of re-introducing the 'Network Harborne' branding for the 22/23/24/29/29A/99 and any potential new route?

Hi jnl.

There are no plans for reintroduce this branding.

Rob H

Hi Simon

Can you tell me if there are any changes coming for the 58/59/60/900/900E/957 Please :)
60 Birmingham - Cranes Park
72/72A Solihull Station - Chelmsley Wood
73 Solihull - Heartlands Hospital
X1 Birmingham - Coventry
X2 Birmingham - Solihull Station
A10 Solihull - Cranes Park / Chelmsley Wood

NX OD

Quote from: Rob2832 on July 24, 2013, 09:46:41 PM
Hi Simon

Can you tell me if there are any changes coming for the 58/59/60/900/900E/957 Please :)

Hi Rob2832,

The new buses are rolling out on the 900/957 and there is a plan to separate the 900 and 957 workings later this year but apart from that no plans.

uniquicity

Thanks Simon re 1592.

From my personal experience the 48 gets very busy during the peaks in term times (especially since the new Sandwell College opened). Could the frequency be increased or bigger vehicles (not necessarily new) be used?

Rob H

Quote from: NX OD on July 24, 2013, 09:49:52 PM
Quote from: Rob2832 on July 24, 2013, 09:46:41 PM
Hi Simon

Hi Rob2832,

The new buses are rolling out on the 900/957 and there is a plan to separate the 900 and 957 workings later this year but apart from that no plans.

Thank You for the Info Simon :)
60 Birmingham - Cranes Park
72/72A Solihull Station - Chelmsley Wood
73 Solihull - Heartlands Hospital
X1 Birmingham - Coventry
X2 Birmingham - Solihull Station
A10 Solihull - Cranes Park / Chelmsley Wood

pb2012

Quote from: NX OD on July 24, 2013, 09:41:35 PM
Quote from: pb2012 on July 24, 2013, 08:48:20 PM
I would like to know are there any demonstrators due for evaluation,also are you planning/considering on using any other manufacturers other than adl/Volvo*wrightbus combination in the new vehicle order,also why havn't you used mcv bodywork for Volvo b7rle instead of just using wrightbus,costs aside.

Hi pb2012,

This is not really my area to be honest.  As far as I know there are no demonstrators due.

Hi simon, thank's for answering my querry guess we'll all have to wait until next year,for my answers.Could you tell us if wn 81/82 routes are being converted to full b7rle operation for the brierly hill/merryhill bus network.

Many thank's pb2012.

NX OD

Quote from: uniquicity on July 24, 2013, 09:51:10 PM
Thanks Simon re 1592.

From my personal experience the 48 gets very busy during the peaks in term times (especially since the new Sandwell College opened). Could the frequency be increased or bigger vehicles (not necessarily new) be used?

Thanks for the feedback.  I will ask West Brom garage to have a look.

GB_91

Hi there Simon, Firstly I think its great you are on here answering questions for us, Kudos for that!
I wondered if the Presidents are going to be spending the foreseeable future on the 11, then will they be receiving any route branding? The 5 has just had its Presidents rebranded so they obviously aren't up for withdrawal anytime soon and as the 11 is Birminghams biggest route, it would be nice to see a return to Outer Circle branding of some kind!
Thanks,
G

NX OD

Quote from: Winston on July 24, 2013, 09:12:50 PM
Quote from: NX OD on July 24, 2013, 09:02:12 PM
Quote from: Winston on July 24, 2013, 11:48:41 AM
Hi Simon,

Pleased to have your input on the forum & thanks for the opportunitiy ;)

A couple of questions/points from me

1. Did NXWM seriously look in to buying both RH & KR operations from First Group in autumn 2012?

2. Have NXWM now finally standardised on the current livery variation with the current shades of both orange/red & cargo white being applied? As there seems to have been a large number of livery variations over the years, with different shades of red / white / full connector bars / small connector bars on fleetnames etc etc

3. I'd also like to see garages making a concerted effort to paint in accident damage with the correct shades of red / white to help improve the appearance/image of the fleet

4. Is it not about time that the TWM brand was finally eliminated from the NXWM fleet across all garages regardless of livery? It has now been six years since the NXWM brand / livery was first introduced by Richard Bowker, Dundee, Bordesley & Coventry have finally managed to do away with the 'Travel' brand, can all TWM logos not be replaced on currently liveries? In WMT / WM Buses & TWM days a large proportion of logos would have been changed over a weekend with the remainder done within a couple of weeks of a name change.

5. Are the remaining 26 x E400's due from NX 2013 orders in addition to the 300 new buses due by June 2015 or included in that quantity?

On a positive note re: livery the latest shades of red/white currently being applied & standards of refurbishment appear far superior, keep up the good work!

It may not be under your direct control, but I personally would like to see NX Group expand its UK bus division in to other areas of the UK through acquisitions

Hi Winston,

1. No comment.

2. Yes we have and the latest repaints are the standard version.

3. I quite agree and this is being looked at.

4. Logo's - The programme of eliminating all intermediate logos [twin peaks - part of National Express Group.] from the fleet was completed last weekend. We have already completed removal of all TWM logos on vehicles at Bordesley, and TC logos at Coventry except for two vehicles which are due for withdrawal. It is now the intention to move on to replacing the Travel West Midlands logos on vehicles at the other garages very shortly.

5. The 26 E400's do form part of the 300.  No orders have been placed for remaining vehicles and it is unlikely that any detail will be confirmed until next year.

Hope that helps.

Thanks again.

Simon,

Many thanks for your response, much appreciated. I wasn't really expecting any response re - question 1, but thought it was still worth a bash anyway  ;)

If details of order aren't being confirmed until next year, I take it NX are considering going for Euro 6 models straight off the drawing board, rather than trialing demonstrators first?

Winston,

Not really my area but I expect next years order to be Euro 5.

danny

Hiya Simon and a big welcome to the forum, it really is nice to have the opitunity to ask you questions directly.

My questions are......

1)Are their any plans to introduce more branding across the network?

2) the Volvo with MCV bodywork 1908 trialled on the X96, are their any plans to make an order or did it fail to impress.

3) can you reveal any plans on the new gold corridors.
Danny :) proud swift, mango and oyster user...

My locals 12, 12A, 13, 22, 126, and the sixes every weekend :)

monkeyjoe

Thank you for answering questions btw.

What is the criteria for a route(S) to recieve branding and why are so many major corridors without it, like in other major cities? etc.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk