News:

Welcome to the WM Buses in Photos Forum! New and existing members are kindly reminded to respect and abide by the Forum Rules that are in place here.

Main Menu

Wolverhampton Garage

Started by Trident 4609, July 21, 2013, 10:21:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BK63 YWP

The Funny sounding Enviro 400

15 Wolverhampton to Merry Hill
15A Wolverhampton Merry Hill
16 Wolverhampton to Stourbridge

X10 Gornal Wood

Pat

BK63 YWP

Quote from: Pat on June 21, 2020, 01:47:55 PM
How come it's being done up there?

They did 5402/12, 5409 had been at another company for years and done nothing so NX sent it up to EYMS to convert like her sisters 5402/12
The Funny sounding Enviro 400

15 Wolverhampton to Merry Hill
15A Wolverhampton Merry Hill
16 Wolverhampton to Stourbridge

X10 Gornal Wood

Tony

Quote from: Pat on June 21, 2020, 01:47:55 PM
How come it's being done up there?

Because they are the best!

They have done them for companies as far apart as Lothian to Reading

Pat

Quote from: Tony on June 21, 2020, 02:22:22 PM

Ahh right.  What is involved in converting from hybrid to diesel?  I presume it is more than just replacing parts of an engine?

Tony

Quote from: Pat on June 21, 2020, 02:49:16 PM
Ahh right.  What is involved in converting from hybrid to diesel?  I presume it is more than just replacing parts of an engine?

The main part is removing the batteries and traction motors and fitting a gearbox, then changing the electrics to match the new configuration

Ian Hardy

Quote from: Tony on June 21, 2020, 02:22:22 PM

East Yorkshire had a batch of 10 early E400Hs of their own which date from 2011. EYMS converted them all to diesel in-house so they learnt how to do it with those 10 and then offered to do the same for other purchasers of E400Hs.

don

Why is 5412 at EYMS as well?

How long did PCS have 5409 and I presume they've done some work on it (I think it was indicated on this forum it had been started up and had been running earlier in the year.
Bustimes.org - armchair bus chasing at its best
wmbusphotos.com - armchair bus spotting and news at its best.

Current 'special passenger validation' permit held.

WyreForestShuttle

Quote from: Tony on June 21, 2020, 03:00:44 PM
The main part is removing the batteries and traction motors and fitting a gearbox, then changing the electrics to match the new configuration
Tony this is just out of curiosity & nothing  more following the PLC Announcement to move to a fully hybrid fleet at NX what is the reason NXWM are converting these early hybrids to diesel?

Tony

Quote from: WyreForestShuttle on June 21, 2020, 08:42:07 PM
Tony this is just out of curiosity & nothing  more following the PLC Announcement to move to a fully hybrid fleet at NX what is the reason NXWM are converting these early hybrids to diesel?

The PLC has not announce it is moving to a fully hybrid fleet, it has announced it is moving to zero emission fleet. A 9 year old hybrid is worse on emissions than a five year old diesel so bringing these up to date is still a step towards zero emission

WyreForestShuttle

Quote from: Tony on June 21, 2020, 08:50:22 PM

The PLC has not announce it is moving to a fully hybrid fleet, it has announced it is moving to zero emission fleet. A 9 year old hybrid is worse on emissions than a five year old diesel so bringing these up to date is still a step towards zero emission
Thank you for that, much appreciated, I wasn't aware overall that a five year old diesel has much cleaner emissions than a 9 year old hybrid in real terms its good to see NXWM leading the way here, cheers.

Tony

Quote from: WyreForestShuttle on June 21, 2020, 08:59:28 PM
Thank you for that, much appreciated, I wasn't aware overall that a five year old diesel has much cleaner emissions than a 9 year old hybrid in real terms its good to see NXWM leading the way here, cheers.

2015 was when vehicles stepped up to Euro 6 which was a huge step up. 2011/2013 hybrids were Euro 5, and only better than diesels of the time by having better fuel consumption, so less fuel = less fuel cost and the less fuel being used meant less emissions. As the batteries derogate fuel consumption slowly slips towards standard diesels meaning no advantage at all

WyreForestShuttle

Quote from: Tony on June 21, 2020, 09:09:48 PM
2015 was when vehicles stepped up to Euro 6 which was a huge step up. 2011/2013 hybrids were Euro 5, and only better than diesels of the time by having better fuel consumption, so less fuel = less fuel cost and the less fuel being used meant less emissions. As the batteries derogate fuel consumption slowly slips towards standard diesels meaning no advantage at all
Thank you Tony, I know I come across as a now it all at times but that is a failing on my part I agree due too sadly my background in the regulatory bodies of our industry and my other work of a more political nature for which I apologise, the technical aspects sometimes I am not clear of so my thanks to you for your clarification it is most appreciated it aids so much to my understanding.

Pat

Would the reason why the hybrids were debranded a year or two ago and put into crimson anything to do with the conversions?

Tony

Quote from: Pat on June 21, 2020, 10:14:59 PM
Would the reason why the hybrids were debranded a year or two ago and put into crimson anything to do with the conversions?

No, they were done for the golf at Carnoustie

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk