News:

Welcome to the WM Buses in Photos Forum! New and existing members are kindly reminded to respect and abide by the Forum Rules that are in place here.

Main Menu

Wolverhampton Garage

Started by Trident 4609, July 21, 2013, 10:21:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lukeee

Quote from: BusMan Greg on April 18, 2020, 11:01:30 PM
So the 54's have officially been curtailed to operate between I54 and Wolverhampton only with Stafford section left in the hands of select & arriva. With the last 5 years in mind, would everyone say that the 54's to Stafford was a success or failure?

Failure otherwise it would still run, that said wasn't it subsidized or am I thinking of something else

Stu

Quote from: BusMan Greg on April 18, 2020, 11:01:30 PM
So the 54's have officially been curtailed to operate between I54 and Wolverhampton only with Stafford section left in the hands of select & arriva. With the last 5 years in mind, would everyone say that the 54's to Stafford was a success or failure?
Quote from: Lukeee on April 19, 2020, 09:13:06 AM
Failure otherwise it would still run, that said wasn't it subsidized or am I thinking of something else

It received funding from the i54 Business Park, which has now been withdrawn.

Without this financial support, it obviously isn't a viable service to operate commercially.

I never used this service myself, so I have no experience myself of what typical loadings were like.

If some people did use it regularly, it might be considered to have been a 'mild success'. But if it didn't carry enough passengers to make it a viable service in its own right (ie without subsidy) then it will have to go down as a 'failure'.
My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

Pat

Quote from: Stu on April 19, 2020, 09:21:29 AM
It received funding from the i54 Business Park, which has now been withdrawn.

Without this financial support, it obviously isn't a viable service to operate commercially.

I never used this service myself, so I have no experience myself of what typical loadings were like.

If some people did use it regularly, it might be considered to have been a 'mild success'. But if it didn't carry enough passengers to make it a viable service in its own right (ie without subsidy) then it will have to go down as a 'failure'.
So if i54 withdrew their funding and the service wasn't viable, then why is it still operating a curtailed route?

Tony

Quote from: NXWMFAN1105 on April 19, 2020, 11:12:15 AM
So if i54 withdrew their funding and the service wasn't viable, then why is it still operating a curtailed route?

Beacause that part is viable!

BN

Quote from: NXWMFAN1105 on April 19, 2020, 11:12:15 AM
I54 pay for it that's why.

Kevin

I'm always surprised Wolves to at least Coven and Brewood hasn't ever warranted a more frequent service than Select provide but so be it, I suppose Staffs CC subsidies being cut over time limited all viable options
Now in exile in Oxfordshire....

Pat

Quote from: BN on April 19, 2020, 01:16:41 PM
I54 pay for it that's why.
As mentioned by @Stu earlier, i54 have withdrawn the funding, so NX must be operating this section commercially?  Personally, I see the 54 as a pointless route now as Stafford Road and i54 are already served by frequent NX services.

Tony

Quote from: NXWMFAN1105 on April 19, 2020, 02:33:59 PM
As mentioned by @Stu earlier, i54 have withdrawn the funding, so NX must be operating this section commercially?  Personally, I see the 54 as a pointless route now as Stafford Road and i54 are already served by frequent NX services.

They are still providing a subsidy for this part!
Before getting all angry have the facts.

Pat

Quote from: Tony on April 19, 2020, 03:19:09 PM
They are still providing a subsidy for this part!
Before getting all angry have the facts.
I wasn't getting angry, just simply providing an opinion.

windy miller

I have taken this service several times to/from stafford rail station in the past
    If I remember correctly the service I cought didn't start/finish at the bus station?
      I had to walk some distance up the stafford? road.  very few people appeared
      to cover the whole route but the service was well patronised at least as far as
      penkridge...   I had wondered how far you could actually travel on a service
      bus  between 09.30am and, say, 7pm? on any week day?.(.using any operator)
      with an ENGLISH  concessionry pass.   ie ONE way?
Mind the Gap.....?:-)

l.murphy123

Quote from: windy miller on April 19, 2020, 05:40:16 PM
   I have taken this service several times to/from stafford rail station in the past
    If I remember correctly the service I cought didn't start/finish at the bus station?
      I had to walk some distance up the stafford? road.  very few people appeared
      to cover the whole route but the service was well patronised at least as far as
      penkridge...   I had wondered how far you could actually travel on a service
      bus  between 09.30am and, say, 7pm? on any week day?.(.using any operator)
      with an ENGLISH  concessionry pass.   ie ONE way?

Wolverhampton bus station? Don't think it did - nor do the other Stafford buses 877 & 878 or Cannock 70 & 71. These go to Stafford Street and outside the university building.
Chairman of GWCH Community group and frequent user of...
   NXWM | 31, 34, 59, 60, 79, 529, X51, X529
   Diamond | 31, 57
   Chaserider | 2, 70
   Select | 71
   West Midland Metro | The Crescent

Trident 4609

Quote from: l.murphy123 on April 21, 2020, 10:41:31 PM
Wolverhampton bus station? Don't think it did - nor do the other Stafford buses 877 & 878 or Cannock 70 & 71. These go to Stafford Street and outside the university building.

The 54 does use Wolverhampton Bus Station.

I assume the poster means Gaol Square in Stafford, which it did serve (and looped the town). It was amended to terminate outside Sainsbury's to shave off running time.

l.murphy123

Quote from: Nathan on April 21, 2020, 11:35:04 PM
The 54 does use Wolverhampton Bus Station.

I assume the poster means Gaol Square in Stafford, which it did serve (and looped the town). It was amended to terminate outside Sainsbury's to shave off running time.

Ahh right okay. It would be useful for the 70/71 to use Wolverhampton bus station.
Chairman of GWCH Community group and frequent user of...
   NXWM | 31, 34, 59, 60, 79, 529, X51, X529
   Diamond | 31, 57
   Chaserider | 2, 70
   Select | 71
   West Midland Metro | The Crescent

Steveminor

They probably dont use the bus station to avoid departure charges which would increase the operational cost of the route & potentially make it unviable

Tony

Quote from: Steveminor on April 23, 2020, 02:30:42 PM
They probably dont use the bus station to avoid departure charges which would increase the operational cost of the route & potentially make it unviable

With the interworking between Cannock and Stafford services it's possible that the extra few minutes would cost an additional bus as well

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk