News:

Welcome to the WM Buses in Photos Forum! New and existing members are kindly reminded to respect and abide by the Forum Rules that are in place here.

Main Menu

Whittles

Started by Tomjusttom, October 23, 2012, 09:08:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PM

Quote from: Will on November 03, 2013, 01:57:49 PM
Yh that's all very well but I can't see Whittle's giving up ANY of they're routes to Diamond  for example Whittles have been doing the 125 since at least the 1970s I can't see them giving that up with out a fight

Don't see that diamond will be fighting them for the 125 when theyve got routes like the X3. The 125 can hardly be that profitable anyway.

iamwilljh92

Well it must be as it's been going nearly 40 years

PM

Quote from: Will on November 03, 2013, 02:56:08 PM

I'm sure its profitable for a small firm but I can't see its any contender compared to the money diamond can make on their other routes. Think whittles and diamond can co-exist but diamond will be looking to take back market share that was given to whittles.

winston

Yh that's all very well but I can't see Whittle's giving up ANY of they're routes to Diamond  for example Whittles have been doing the 125 since at least the 1970s I can't see them giving that up with out a fight

Whittle's have also built up quite a loyal following, which Diamond will have to try & break if they are looking to increase ridership & market share. The fleets of both Diamond KR & Whittle's are pretty much like for like standardized on Darts, but now the older long Dart SLF's have been drafted in to KR replacing newer Solo's, Whittle's appear to have a more modern fleet than Diamond at present

PM

Quote from: Winston on November 03, 2013, 03:32:41 PM

Whittle's have also built up quite a loyal following, which Diamond will have to try & break if they are looking to increase ridership & market share. The fleets of both Diamond KR & Whittle's are pretty much like for like standardized on Darts, but now the older long Dart SLF's have been drafted in to KR replacing newer Solo's, Whittle's appear to have a more modern fleet than Diamond at present

As a customer though, if I looked at 30382 and 30388 and whittles darts I would think the diamond ones are newer as they are immaculate whereas some of whittles are battered at the very least.

Cedric

Quote from: Will on November 03, 2013, 02:56:08 PM
do you mean whittles or the route  ?  the company  and route have been going a lot longer than 40 years   

diamond 8\10/125/292

winston

Quote from: DiamondDart on November 03, 2013, 04:43:31 PM

As a customer though, if I looked at 30382 and 30388 and whittles darts I would think the diamond ones are newer as they are immaculate whereas some of whittles are battered at the very least.

Those two should be, as they've just be pulled out of reserve & added to KR's allocation, are they also repainted allover blue?

Would they think the same if 30428 S405JUA & 30445 T418MNH pulled up alongside a Whittle's bus?

iamwilljh92

I was referring to the route 125

PM

Quote from: Winston on November 03, 2013, 05:39:16 PM

Those two should be, as they've just be pulled out of reserve & added to KR's allocation, are they also repainted allover blue?

Would they think the same if 30428 S405JUA & 30445 T418MNH pulled up alongside a Whittle's bus?

Yeah, 30382 at least is definitely overall blue but haven't seen 30388. And thats true about the other two darts-would imagine though that these two along with the ex first dart will be the next kidderminster buses to be withdrawn

nitromatt1

Quote from: Winston on November 03, 2013, 01:25:28 PM
Quote from: Stuharris 6360 on November 03, 2013, 12:50:53 PM
Saw an advert today for bus drivers for Whittles, interestingly it said it is to cover shifts Monday to Daturday days, although this may change due to company requirements.

Are Whittles looking to start evening/Sunday services?

The people of Kiddiminster want services to run later in the evening & Sunday's, I'd have thought that might come out in the Kiddiminster review.

Aren't Whittle's a bit limited for spare depot space?

Just a quick pointer Winston, in case it wasn't a typo, it's spelt Kidderminster :), despite its pronounciation by the locals!

winston

Quote from: nitromatt1 on November 03, 2013, 06:19:29 PM
Quote from: Winston on November 03, 2013, 01:25:28 PM
Quote from: Stuharris 6360 on November 03, 2013, 12:50:53 PM
Saw an advert today for bus drivers for Whittles, interestingly it said it is to cover shifts Monday to Daturday days, although this may change due to company requirements.

Are Whittles looking to start evening/Sunday services?

The people of Kiddiminster want services to run later in the evening & Sunday's, I'd have thought that might come out in the Kiddiminster review.

Aren't Whittle's a bit limited for spare depot space?

Just a quick pointer Winston, in case it wasn't a typo, it's spelt Kidderminster :), despite its pronounciation by the locals!

Yes, I do know how to spell Kidderminster normally, trying to work at the same time as replying...... Just got the shortened locals version of 'Kiddi' in my head

winston

Quote from: DiamondDart on November 03, 2013, 06:13:14 PM
Quote from: Winston on November 03, 2013, 05:39:16 PM

Yeah, 30382 at least is definitely overall blue but haven't seen 30388. And thats true about the other two darts-would imagine though that these two along with the ex first dart will be the next kidderminster buses to be withdrawn

I can't really see those two being repainted, but you never know!

StourportSam

Really?
When I travelled on KU52 RXW the other week it was filthy and in desperate need of a deep clean. Whittles buses are usually cleaner, and in summer are always clean on the outside. The buses I travel on are always clean and tidy and a few have had the seat mochette replaced very recently.

Also the two Diamond YJ06 solos that have just been bought are tired inside and have chewing gum on the seats, etc etc!!

Cedric

Quote from: StourportSam on October 28, 2013, 01:14:32 AM
Quote from: nitromatt1 on October 27, 2013, 07:56:36 PM
Quote from: John on October 27, 2013, 03:21:49 PM
Quote from: Will on October 27, 2013, 03:12:54 PM
What's the crack with the EYMS buses (namely YX51 MUO and W409 JAT respectively) are they staying or are they going back up to Yorkshire? They're obviously both still here (with W409 JAT doing the 125 run to Bridgnorth the other day I saw it) seems to me that they're going nowhere but I'm not entirely 100% sure what do we think here to stay or departing?

'W409 JAT' was on the 192 yesterday, strange sight in Halesowen!

It seems to be on the 192 most days, still looks odd to me though

W409 JAT is usually on the 192
YX51 is usually on the 2A

This is the case most days I've seen, but I have seem them both on the 3 before now.

W409 JAT is here after the vehicle fire which left Whittle one vehicle short for their operations I believe. I presume it was either a case of sending down what EYMS could spare OR a sign on things to come fleetwise once vehicles are released from Finglands.

YX51 has now been de-branded from EY markings and according to what Bewminster has said previously is destined to be used as the 'staff facilities' in Kidderminster bus station, which is currently done by a converted transit van. It does not appear to be needed back in Yorkshire due to its step access. I too like Bewminster thought it was seeing so much use on the 2A because of the roadworks in Wribbenhall. Those roads are bumpy at the best of times anyway.

I think Whittles need at least one more bus to cover their needs still. A driver I spoke to told me they were short of buses, he was driving a coach on service 3 at the time... :)
YY51  is now back on the  road
diamond 8\10/125/292

StourportSam

Kidderminster Shuttle website reports Whittle services 7, 580, 192, 830, 831, 834 and 835 are likely to be withdrawn next September after Worcestershire County Council plans to scrap a £3 million taxpayer's subsidy for public transport.

http://www.kidderminstershuttle.co.uk/news/local/10787910.Twenty_Wyre_Forest_bus_services_face_the_chop/

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk