News:

Welcome to the WM Buses in Photos Forum! New and existing members are kindly reminded to respect and abide by the Forum Rules that are in place here.

Main Menu

The End of the Benz (and B10L)

Started by The Real 4778, September 22, 2014, 12:55:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Real 4778

It struck me when looking at the stats, the once near 200-strong fleet of O405N is down to below 80.

I know the type isn't universally liked on here, but - introduced when it was - and representing as it did a single-decker push by TWM to eliminate Fleetlines, it is the last remaining tangible link to that late nineties era.

I thought I'd start this thread in honour of the rapidly dwindling fleet of Mercs.  Along with the Presidents, when these are gone from the streets of the West Midlands and Warwickshire, my interest will be pretty much done and dusted.  The modern stuff is pretty, and dare I say the Omni-Deckers are quirky, but modern buses are quieter and somehow less charismatic.

Definitively saw my last one on Thursday (WN1661, thanks Tony), and when I get chance in future I'll be Black Country-bound to see what odd workings I can rake-in.

While I'm on the subject, the B10L is an equally endangered species, with its own dedicated following.  Given that the two types have this friendly rivalry, devotees might want to post stuff on here that is relevant to these particular buses, but doesn't necessarily belong in other threads and topics.
Don't you start.

Bob

I think the last of the Fleetlines were gone well before the first Merc entered service

I totally agree, any bus that stands the test of time like the Mercs is worthy of respect. Had a great day out on Saturday with the newest bus being 1707!

It went - 1707, 1662, 662, 1431, 4010, 4001, 632, 600, 1671, 1681, 1670, 1642, 1657, 1707!!

How long before we can't write such a list?

Get them while you still can.....
Flickr account  - Merc Benz

The Real 4778

Quote from: Bob on September 22, 2014, 01:49:03 PM
I think the last of the Fleetlines were gone well before the first Merc entered service

Ok, a couple of months before.  November 1997 vs January 1998. 

I should probably have said 'replace' rather than eliminate.  The fleet had been contracting for some time, and saloons rather than deckers were the norm for new vehicles.

Apologies.
Don't you start.

The Real 4778

Quote from: 1707 on September 22, 2014, 02:01:25 PM
I totally agree, any bus that stands the test of time like the Mercs is worthy of respect. Had a great day out on Saturday with the newest bus being 1707!

It went - 1707, 1662, 662, 1431, 4010, 4001, 632, 600, 1671, 1681, 1670, 1642, 1657, 1707!!

How long before we can't write such a list?

Get them while you still can.....

That is very rateable action indeed.
Don't you start.

Solo1

Will they have a farewell merc /B10L day

Stuharris 6360

Quote from: Solo1 on September 22, 2014, 02:20:40 PM

Hopefully they won't have one for the Mercs, wouldn't mind a B6/B10 one though!
Pensnett is my local garage. Favourite bus of all time is Fleetline 6360 (KON 360P).

winston

Quote from: Stuharris 6360 on September 22, 2014, 03:56:12 PM

I had heard the Merc farewell day was scheduled to be held on 5th November & they'd be going out in a blaze of glory......   :D

Joking aside to be fair, I used to rate the Mercs up until more recently, they had proved very reliable workhorses. However, they have gone down rather rapidly with the various fires, major corrosion issues and the styling now looks very dated.

My favourite 1st generation low floor bus still has to be the B10L/Wright Liberators, they still look modern when freshly repainted and are still putting in sterling service at WA on the 34/38 & 39 despite being worked hard for the past 18 years. I will be more sorry to see those finally retired.......  :'(

Stuharris 6360

Quote from: Winston on September 22, 2014, 04:06:44 PM

I had heard the Merc farewell day was scheduled to be held on 5th November & they'd be going out in a blaze of glory......   :D

Joking aside to be fair, I used to rate the Mercs up until more recently, they had proved very reliable workhorses. However, they have gone down rather rapidly with the various fires, major corrosion issues and the styling now looks very dated.

My favourite 1st generation low floor bus still has to be the B10L/Wright Liberators, they still look modern when freshly repainted and are still putting in sterling service at WA on the 34/38 & 39 despite being worked hard for the past 18 years. I will be more sorry to see those finally retired.......  :'(

Considering what workhorses the B6s used to be at PE, would hope that before the end one ot two could come back for, say a last bash on the 222!
Pensnett is my local garage. Favourite bus of all time is Fleetline 6360 (KON 360P).

James4368

will the farewell day be at a NXWM depot?

Not unless they want a depot reduced to ashes...... it was a joke. There is no farewell day planned that I know of......Winston
Local Bus Routes
58 - Yardley Swan - Solihull
60 - Birmingham - Cranes Park
99 - Lea Village - Acocks Green
S16 - Yardley Swan - Solihull
X1 - Birmingham - Coventry
X2 - Birmingham - Solihull

The Real 4778

That will involve two separate garages. Presumably the last few B10Ls at WA will drop substantially ahead of the Benz...?

What about the B6Ls as well?  (Confession - I forgot about those).
Don't you start.

The Real 4778

It's the dated (LEGO anyone?) styling and general encroaching shabbiness that contributes to their allure, from a personal perspective. 

It's almost like they are sticking two fingers up at the modern fleet.
Don't you start.

trident4370

Mercs are nice but the B10s are far superior imo, as has been stated they have stood the test of time and still look relatively modern. Even from a passengers perspective they have better legroom than the modern alternatives and probably rattle less! I really hope there is a final farewell for these beasts but I did email in and ask in around 2012 and I know back then the concern was that there wouldn't be as much of a demand as there was for the metrobus and it probably wouldn't draw in that much of a crowd. Going by various posts on here I'd like to think that that is no longer the case and the company would consider doing it now but only time will tell. *crosses fingers and toes*

Bob

B10Ls definitely have good legroom especially compared to Omnilinks!

winston

Quote from: The Real 4778 on September 22, 2014, 05:01:21 PM

It's the dated (LEGO anyone?) styling and general encroaching shabbiness that contributes to their allure, from a personal perspective. 

It's almost like they are sticking two fingers up at the modern fleet.

The refurb'd Mercs don't look bad, it's just the squareness of the body design & lack of curves, particularly the rear end.

I would say the Mercs styling-wise actually look older than the B10L's, the body design of the B10L has aged very well, as it was clearly very well built.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk