News:

Welcome to the WM Buses in Photos Forum! New and existing members are kindly reminded to respect and abide by the Forum Rules that are in place here.

Main Menu

Bus Accidents/Incidents.

Started by P419 EJW, June 15, 2014, 11:53:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stuharris 6360

Pensnett is my local garage. Favourite bus of all time is Fleetline 6360 (KON 360P).

Stu

The CCTV footage is pretty shocking to watch, I had reservations about sharing it myself...

...however it still doesn't show the full picture of what happened - it does appear (though it might be the angle of the shot) that the double-deck is moving away from the pavement, if only we could see what was just out of camera shot to the left...

My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

Stuharris 6360

Quote from: Stu on August 29, 2015, 07:48:09 PM
The CCTV footage is pretty shocking to watch, I had reservations about sharing it myself...

...however it still doesn't show the full picture of what happened - it does appear (though it might be the angle of the shot) that the double-deck is moving away from the pavement, if only we could see what was just out of camera shot to the left...

Was the driver of 4520 taken ill or something, as you say @Stu we can't see 100% of what happened, however travelling at that speed, something isn't right!
Pensnett is my local garage. Favourite bus of all time is Fleetline 6360 (KON 360P).

notepanel

Quote from: Stuharris 6360 on August 29, 2015, 07:52:00 PM
Was the driver of 4520 taken ill or something, as you say @Stu we can't see 100% of what happened, however travelling at that speed, something isn't right!

The Gemini doesn't even appear to brake before impact.

You'd think the driver has either been taken unwell/fallen asleep or has expected the Scania to pull in and give way just off camera - but even then he should have been able to stop.

Liberator9

That looked painful - glad no one was too seriously injured. Not going to speculate as unfair on the drivers, but certainly going to be a trip to Walsall now for 1926. Been a bit traumatic for the 27 driver with that Gemini coming straight at you...

MW

Apparently there was a Fiat Punto that pulled out just off shot. From watching that though it does look like a lack of attempt to slow down. I don't know. If that was at 1059 it's also running late.

Quote from: Liberator9 on August 29, 2015, 07:59:36 PM
That looked painful - glad no one was too seriously injured. Not going to speculate as unfair on the drivers, but certainly going to be a trip to Walsall now for 1926. Been a bit traumatic for the 27 driver with that Gemini coming straight at you...
People have been injured though none are thought to be life threatening @Liberator9
Local Routes
94/95, 11A/11C, 28.

Quote from: MW on August 29, 2015, 08:03:56 PM
Apparently there was a Fiat Punto that pulled out just off shot. From watching that though it does look like a lack of attempt to slow down. I don't know. If that was at 1059 it's also running late.
What I read on the Birmingham Mail was due to people parking on that  road the residents want to make it a one way road so it is safer for drivers @MW
Local Routes
94/95, 11A/11C, 28.

Liberator9

Yeah I saw none were life threatening which I was relieved to read after watching that video. That road is a nightmare at times - got stuck behind a bin lorry for 10 minutes at 8 in the morning whilst on a 11C once. Nowhere to pass at all. Had another time when a car was coming head on with the bus and the car showed complete disregard to the fact the bus had right of way.

Stu

I can agree with what residents are saying about the parking, you can see on one of the photos on the Birmingham Mail gallery that there are several cars parked illegally on the single-yellow line, and you can see them all on Google Streetview too.

Maybe it's time that the 11A/C was rerouted to use Wheelers Lane and Howard Road East to get to/from Alcester Road, but perhaps keep the 27 along Addison Road (as it's less frequent)?
My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

trident4370

Addison road has always been a nightmare, there are residents who park like idiots yes but you get a lot of people who park there and walk down to the high st without a second thought as parking in Kings Heath is erm... minimal. There's also a car dealer by the bus stop who likes to park his cars in the road on double yellows creating a bottleneck when buses are in at the bus stop.

Liberator9

Howard Road East is not much better for buses - got cars parked down there half the time on the one side making it narrow. Queues also form due to the lights in the westbound direction which would cause late running in the peak times. That's the reason the 76 goes down Wheeler's Lane only to get to the Alcester Road.

Stevo

The Gemini didn't seem to slow down. I wonder if the driver had some sort of illness.

Liverpool Street

Omnilink was stationary at POI.

Interesting footage.

Condolences to all involved.
Quote from: 2900
One thing Daimler Mercedes Benz are good at is producing excellent Diesel engines, I do miss the sound of the 0405n for all its faults you couldn't knock that 12 litre engine.
Quote from: karl724223
until it cought fire

don

Quote from: Stevo on August 29, 2015, 10:21:31 PM
The Gemini didn't seem to slow down. I wonder if the driver had some sort of illness.

I thought that - severe impact but would have been a worse impact for the buses if the Omnilink had its brakes on - I suspect by the distance it deflects backwards that any vehicle behind it out of shot would also have been involved. It said on the bbc radio news last night that six people were injured and the drivers had to be cut out of the cabs :-/ horrific incident for all involved.

Bustimes.org - armchair bus chasing at its best
wmbusphotos.com - armchair bus spotting and news at its best.

Current 'special passenger validation' permit held.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk