News:

Please do have a browse through the forums or use the Search functionality before posting a new topic - chances are there is already a discussion underway on that subject, or your question has already been answered previously!

Main Menu

Acocks Green Garage

Started by Rob H, July 22, 2013, 10:30:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Some go via Nechells Parkway and Heartland Parkway some go via the Aston Expressway.
Caught 6706 in the peak yesterday on the X12 yesterday which went via the Aston Expressway and Tyburn Road, very quick journey, got from the City Centre to the first stop on Bromford Drive in 10 minutes, possibly just over, the journey time for those travelling from Bromford to the City Centre is an improvement over the 72. The drivers changed in the City Centre the previous driver came in via Heartlands Parkway and Nechells Parkway.

This afternoon in Nechells there was a convey of 6710 on the X12, a Trident on the X70 and another Platinum on the X12 with nobody other than the driver on it all heading towards the City Centre together.

Local Routes
94/95, 11A/11C, 28.

Tony

Quote from: Stu on June 10, 2017, 07:52:27 PM
Took a ride on the X12 this afternoon from city centre to the Airport.

Was a bit surprised that it went along Aston Expressway and Tyburn Road, rather than along Nechells Parkway and Heartlands Parkway. If there are no traffic issues, is there a set 'first choice' route that drivers should follow? Or unless they are advised otherwise, can drivers pick whichever route they fancy?  :D

Anyway, Priory Queensway to Bromford Drive in a little over 11 minutes, and almost exactly 30mins to get to Smiths Wood (Windward Way, Buckingham Road). If I lived in that area, I think I'd be very pleased to have a much faster bus to/from the city centre. Also, good idea to have that five minute layover in Chelmsley Wood, however I can see some people getting annoyed if, like today, the service is running on time.

Like with the X70, I like the idea of better serving passengers from outlying areas, by avoiding the parts of a route that slow down a journey through 'inner' areas. As long as there are still regular 'all-stops' services through these inner areas, such as Washwood Heath and Ward End for example, due to their proximity to the city centre, they're not missing out when it comes to journey time, compared to passengers at the outer ends of a route. The problem really though is a lack of main trunk roads from the city centre that buses could 'express' along.

Expressway option is first choice

monkeyjoe

Are people airing positive feedback to these new services yet? Or do people only comment the other way.

Kevin

Quote from: monkeyjoe on June 11, 2017, 08:30:12 AM
Are people airing positive feedback to these new services yet? Or do people only comment the other way.

Alas I think the latter may be the case
Honestly though, I think there will be many that do appreciate the services, as Stu said the time taken from the city to Smiths Wood really is attractive. Yes some people will have lost connections along the way but you have to compare that to the number of people that will benefit
Now in exile in Oxfordshire....

monkeyjoe

I get it.I might even think of using the services myself when back in Brum. I normally get on a bus to centre from ventnor av / coleshill rd to city, however could try walking to chipperfield rd and using them and see if there is actually a benefit.

Still surprised no publicity targeting people in my area as to the new services, nothing in the Hodge Hill Gazette when I went back at bank holiday.

Quote from: monkeyjoe on June 11, 2017, 10:44:53 AM
I get it.I might even think of using the services myself when back in Brum. I normally get on a bus to centre from ventnor av / coleshill rd to city, however could try walking to chipperfield rd and using them and see if there is actually a benefit.

Still surprised no publicity targeting people in my area as to the new services, nothing in the Hodge Hill Gazette when I went back at bank holiday.
Yesterday evening at 22:10, there was no 94/55 for 19 minutes, 6704 was on the 55/94 stand waiting to operate an X12 it moved onto the X12 stand I decided to get of and walk the rest of the way/get the 11 for a couple of stops, very quick journey via the Aston Expressway and I connected onto 4514 on the 11C at Bromford which was coming as I got of 6704, I completed my journey at 22:28, if i'd decided to wait for the 55/94 i'd still have been stood in the City Centre waiting.
Local Routes
94/95, 11A/11C, 28.

Brummie45

Current Local Routes 53,94,96 and X12. Nearby routes 55,70,71,71A,99 and X70.

Kevin

Quote from: 2206 on June 11, 2017, 11:13:56 AM
Yesterday evening at 22:10, there was no 94/55 for 19 minutes, 6704 was on the 55/94 stand waiting to operate an X12 it moved onto the X12 stand I decided to get of and walk the rest of the way/get the 11 for a couple of stops, very quick journey via the Aston Expressway and I connected onto 4514 on the 11C at Bromford which was coming as I got of 6704, I completed my journey at 22:28, if i'd decided to wait for the 55/94 i'd still have been stood in the City Centre waiting.

Connection with other buses is the key here, at times of lower frequency (ie evening or Sunday) the express buses kind of need to be timed at certain stops to give a connection to either onward stopping services or as in your example the 11, although a bit of a shame the first stop isn't necessarily that close to the 11
Now in exile in Oxfordshire....

MW

YW 4719 (35 branded) currently parked outside AG (Tidily reverse parked against the shutters). Most likely come to collect 2244.

What was Yardley Wood 2233 doing at Acocks Green Garage at about 15:45 today, came into the garage and then left about 10 minutes later?
2233 has also gained a rear ad, appears to be advertising for drivers.

Saw 4670 on the 11A on Wednesday displaying 11C.
Local Routes
94/95, 11A/11C, 28.

GeminiFan1991

I go past the garage quite often but today was the first time I've seen the shutter (The big one (2 vehicles)) down around just before 1ish.

Any reason why ?
Please check out my Bus Photos @

https://www.flickr.com/photos/128406405@N06/

Quote from: GeminiFan1991 on June 16, 2017, 11:16:27 PM
I go past the garage quite often but today was the first time I've seen the shutter (The big one (2 vehicles)) down around just before 1ish.

Any reason why ?
It's always been down recently.
Not long ago the one on the left was down, but they've put that one back up and put the shutter on the right down.
Local Routes
94/95, 11A/11C, 28.

MW

Quote from: GeminiFan1991 on June 16, 2017, 11:16:27 PM

Any reason why ?

The bigger shutter is usually down at night.  May just have been shut earlier than normal. There's no need for it to be open overnight, probably for security reasons, as you could just hop into a Gemini and drive it out lol

The smaller shutter is entrance at night for buses coming off service. When I was there, the last bus would come in at about 1AM (37). Now, we've got the 1AM departure from City on the 37, so that bus gets back into garage at around 1.45AM.

Fun fact for you, the first bus out of garage is always parked on the outside car park, the first bus to the left. It's usually a E200MMC. First 37 of the day. So when there is a Gemini in that spot, that'll be on the 37 the next day.

Quote from: MW on June 17, 2017, 04:18:49 AM
The bigger shutter is usually down at night.  May just have been shut earlier than normal. There's no need for it to be open overnight, probably for security reasons, as you could just hop into a Gemini and drive it out lol

The smaller shutter is entrance at night for buses coming off service. When I was there, the last bus would come in at about 1AM (37). Now, we've got the 1AM departure from City on the 37, so that bus gets back into garage at around 1.45AM.

Fun fact for you, the first bus out of garage is always parked on the outside car park, the first bus to the left. It's usually a E200MMC. First 37 of the day. So when there is a Gemini in that spot, that'll be on the 37 the next day.
For the past few weeks they've had one of the big shutters down in the day. It's always down at 3PM when I go pas there daily.
Local Routes
94/95, 11A/11C, 28.

Quote from: Sh4318 on June 05, 2017, 06:29:54 PM
A little like 4529's?
Yes, it is a little like 4529's.
Local Routes
94/95, 11A/11C, 28.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk