News:

Please do have a browse through the forums or use the Search functionality before posting a new topic - chances are there is already a discussion underway on that subject, or your question has already been answered previously!

Main Menu

Acocks Green Garage

Started by Rob H, July 22, 2013, 10:30:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stuharris 6360

Just seen an interesting email on another group, which contains an email from The Driver & Vehicle Standards Agency saying that Enviro 200 MMCs have been recalled due to a fault which could cause brake failure for vehicles built between March & August.

Do we know if AGs E200 MMCs are affected?

https://www.dft.gov.uk/vosa/apps/recalls/searches/search.asp
Pensnett is my local garage. Favourite bus of all time is Fleetline 6360 (KON 360P).

Stevo

AG's E200 MMCs were almost the only ones built during those months so surely must be affected. I can't find a recall on that site but just in case I think I'll get the train to town!

Stuharris 6360

1 Search Results - Page 1 of 1
Criteria : (ALEXANDER ENVIRO) for the date range 01/Jan/2015 to 01/Nov/2015
Information : Click on the recalls number to expand the detail and hover over the concern for a quick insight into the defect
Please note that certain recalls have the same reference number, but relate to different models/variants of the same manufacturer/vehicle.
#    Launch Date   Recalls Number   Make   Model(s)   Concern   VIN Start   VIN End   Build Start   Build End
1    09/10/2015    R/2015/195    ALEXANDER    Enviro 200 MMC    brake failure could occur    SFDDMABR8FGY14956    SFDDMABR8FGYA5157    25/03/2015    25/08/2015
[ 1 ]

Pensnett is my local garage. Favourite bus of all time is Fleetline 6360 (KON 360P).

John

Crimson 4644 was out on the 966 today

Stu

Quote from: Stevo on November 06, 2015, 10:21:33 PM
AG's E200 MMCs were almost the only ones built during those months so surely must be affected. I can't find a recall on that site but just in case I think I'll get the train to town!

The key word here is 'could', nothing to get too worked up about yet. Other vehicles have had recall notices previously (mostly passenger cars) but these are usually for a precautionary reason.
My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

Stuharris 6360

Quote from: Stu on November 07, 2015, 08:20:20 PM
The key word here is 'could', nothing to get too worked up about yet. Other vehicles have had recall notices previously (mostly passenger cars) but these are usually for a precautionary reason.

SFDDMABR8FGY14956 = 2201

Stu

Quote from: Stuharris 6360 on November 07, 2015, 08:22:28 PM
SFDDMABR8FGY14956 = 2201

So? As I said, the wording for the recall is 'could cause brake failure', with the key word being 'could'. "Could" is not the same as "most definitely will". And doesn't mean we are all riding around on death-traps. Vauxhall have issued a recall on Zafiras built since 2005 because of recent fires, doesn't mean every single one is going to explode into flames!
My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

Stuharris 6360

Quote from: Stu on November 07, 2015, 08:30:10 PM
So? As I said, the wording for the recall is 'could cause brake failure', with the key word being 'could'. "Could" is not the same as "most definitely will". And doesn't mean we are all riding around on death-traps. Vauxhall have issued a recall on Zafiras built since 2005 because of recent fires, doesn't mean every single one is going to explode into flames!

That's true, but with a braking fault it needs to be treated carefully.

Details of fault:

Right hand rear brake actuator may contact axle casing when brake pads wear and calliper/actuator assembly move inboard. Actuator band clamp bolt may fracture, resulting in separating of actuator service portion from main actuator body. If the concern occurs the stopping distance for the vehicle will increase.

Remedial Action

Recall the vehicles that are likely to be affected and reposition the clamp band to ensure no risk of a foul condition remains. The clamp bolt will be examined for signs of contact and replaced if witness marks present.

Trident 4194

Quote from: Stuharris 6360 on November 07, 2015, 08:39:45 PM
That's true, but with a braking fault it needs to be treated carefully.

Details of fault:

Right hand rear brake actuator may contact axle casing when brake pads wear and calliper/actuator assembly move inboard. Actuator band clamp bolt may fracture, resulting in separating of actuator service portion from main actuator body. If the concern occurs the stopping distance for the vehicle will increase.

Remedial Action

Recall the vehicles that are likely to be affected and reposition the clamp band to ensure no risk of a foul condition remains. The clamp bolt will be examined for signs of contact and replaced if witness marks present.

Definitely something wrong with them as Tony has not posted anything defending nx. Typical Adl crap

Stuharris 6360

Quote from: Trident 4194 on November 07, 2015, 08:42:55 PM
Definitely something wrong with them as Tony has not posted anything defending nx. Typical Adl crap

Tony may not be able to post anything about it, presumably NE thought nobody would hear about it. I only found out through London Bus Group!

Tony

Quote from: Trident 4194 on November 07, 2015, 08:42:55 PM

You really don't get how things work do you?

I haven't posted anything at all today because I have had other things to do.

People see things like this and automatically think a recall means all vehicles have got to go back to the manufacturer. It means nothing of the sort, all it means is a modification is needed which can be done anytime anywhere, and if it needed doing it will have been done.

domino.99

Looking on Facebook earlier looks like there's gonna be 200MMCs on rail replacement for the first tome

don

Quote from: Tony on November 07, 2015, 09:42:41 PM
You really don't get how things work do you?

I haven't posted anything at all today because I have had other things to do.

People see things like this and automatically think a recall means all vehicles have got to go back to the manufacturer. It means nothing of the sort, all it means is a modification is needed which can be done anytime anywhere, and if it needed doing it will have been done.

Presumably would be dealt with as part of the maintenance schedule by a dealer or the manufacturers staff at the customer's facilities at no cost to the customer. Makes you wonder why the brake design is that different from the 400 MMC though. A braking fault of that type or the fire issue with certain GM vehicles could be safety critical and thus far more urgent than say the current recalls of VW cars for software changes (they're giving apology letters and free replacement vehicle of the same type whilst the work is carried out also).
Bustimes.org - armchair bus chasing at its best
wmbusphotos.com - armchair bus spotting and news at its best.

Current 'special passenger validation' permit held.

MW

Quote from: don on November 07, 2015, 11:22:55 PM
Presumably would be dealt with as part of the maintenance schedule by a dealer or the manufacturers staff at the customer's facilities at no cost to the customer. Makes you wonder why the brake design is that different from the 400 MMC though. A braking fault of that type or the fire issue with certain GM vehicles could be safety critical and thus far more urgent than say the current recalls of VW cars for software changes (they're giving apology letters and free replacement vehicle of the same type whilst the work is carried out also).

ADL staff were in garage today, and probably will be every day until the problem has been repaired. There was plenty of MMCs in garage today, and will be tomorrow, so no doubt they'll get the chance to do it as they go.

Stevo

It sounds like a partial brake failure at the worst, and one that may well have been spotted at a regular inspection before anything fractured.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk