News:

Reminder to all members: please keep thread discussions 'on-topic' - this is a structured discussion forum, not a general 'group chat'!

Main Menu

October Changes

Started by 2206, September 28, 2023, 01:37:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jack

Apparently the 2 is getting cut to Yardley Wood, so that means there's no link from Yardley Wood to Maypole with both the 2 and 27 going.

Nice one.

Sh4318

Quote from: Jack on September 28, 2023, 02:52:33 PMIt really won't, can see a lot of people unhappy with that.

Same can said for the 46 which shouldn't have gone, the 16 replacement is just riddled with bad traffic and unreliability, lots of people want the 46 back and I agree.
I do miss the 46, it was extremely convenient to have a direct service to West Bromwich on my doorstep

The 89 has always felt fragile to be since it replaced the 88. I feel like if it's doing badly, it could be replaced with other routes. The reintroduction of the 80A replace it between Cape Hill and the Cricket Ground - using Coopers Lane to get back on route - and along Devonshire Road, the 54 & 54A could cover the Queens Head and Hales Lane sections

Sad to see it's decline, but I don't see how having the route not enter the city centre will help, although it will mean the Geminis will be able to be used on it
Class 153, 155 and 156. The Super Sprinters
Local Routes: 21, 89, 48/A, 12/A, 54/A
Semi-local routes: 80, 87

Sh4318

Quote from: Jack on September 28, 2023, 02:56:15 PMApparently the 2 is getting cut to Yardley Wood, so that means there's no link from Yardley Wood to Maypole with both the 2 and 27 going.

Nice one.
Cuts everywhere, it's really sad to see all of these service reductions

Tony

Quote from: Sh4318 on September 28, 2023, 03:05:33 PMCuts everywhere, it's really sad to see all of these service reductions
The funding from BSIP is for 98% of the current network

Stu

Quote from: Jack on September 28, 2023, 02:56:15 PMApparently the 2 is getting cut to Yardley Wood, so that means there's no link from Yardley Wood to Maypole with both the 2 and 27 going.

Nice one.
It doesn't say that anywhere about the 2.

The 27 is being curtailed at Yardley Wood. I imagine the 'timetable revision' for the 2 will see the reintroduction of service through to Maypole on Sundays.
My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

Stu

Quote from: Sh4318 on September 28, 2023, 03:04:01 PMSad to see it's decline, but I don't see how having the route not enter the city centre will help, although it will mean the Geminis will be able to be used on it
Depending on where it is curtailed, it might mean one less bus is required to operate it, this helps make the service viable by reducing operating costs.

EDIT: It would appear the 89 will operate between West Bromwich and Cape Hill, as the TfWM website mentions "Passengers between Cape Hill and Birmingham can the following alternative services" (sic) before referring to the 82 and 87.

My locals:

Quote from: Stu on September 28, 2023, 03:39:11 PMDepending on where it is curtailed, it might mean one less bus is required to operate it, this helps make the service viable by reducing operating costs.

EDIT: It would appear the 89 will operate between West Bromwich and Cape Hill, as the TfWM mentions "Passengers between Cape Hill and Birmingham can the following alternative services" (sic) before referring to the 82 and 87.

A similar thing happened a few years ago with passengers on the 58 required to change to the main Coventry Road 60 at Yardley Swan.
To be honest I doubt it will be much of a hardship for anyone given how often the 82/87 run.
Local Routes
94/95, 11A/11C, 28.

Stu

I assume this 'new' 71A service will also serve the new Amazon distribution centre at Peddimore?
My locals:

Tony

Quote from: Stu on September 28, 2023, 03:39:11 PMDepending on where it is curtailed, it might mean one less bus is required to operate it, this helps make the service viable by reducing operating costs.

EDIT: It would appear the 89 will operate between West Bromwich and Cape Hill, as the TfWM website mentions "Passengers between Cape Hill and Birmingham can the following alternative services" (sic) before referring to the 82 and 87.

It saves 2 buses so a massive cash saving 

Sh4318

Quote from: 2206 on September 28, 2023, 03:50:33 PMA similar thing happened a few years ago with passengers on the 58 required to change to the main Coventry Road 60 at Yardley Swan.
To be honest I doubt it will be much of a hardship for anyone given how often the 82/87 run.
Personally, it deters me from using the service in that direction, I can't lie

I think it will for a lot of passengers who want to go past Cape Hill

If you live on Brasshouse Lane, it's a short walk to Smethwick Rolfe Street or the 80/87, if you live on Devonshire Road, it's a short walk to both stations, if you live around the Queens Head, you have the 12/A, if you live by the Old Chapel or Cricket Ground, the 87 is not too far away

frostjay974

Quote from: Sh4318 on September 28, 2023, 03:04:01 PMI do miss the 46, it was extremely convenient to have a direct service to West Bromwich on my doorstep

The 89 has always felt fragile to be since it replaced the 88. I feel like if it's doing badly, it could be replaced with other routes. The reintroduction of the 80A replace it between Cape Hill and the Cricket Ground - using Coopers Lane to get back on route - and along Devonshire Road, the 54 & 54A could cover the Queens Head and Hales Lane sections

Sad to see it's decline, but I don't see how having the route not enter the city centre will help, although it will mean the Geminis will be able to be used on it
When was Hales Lane/Queens Head section of the 46 withdrawn?

Straightlines

Quote from: Tony on September 28, 2023, 04:21:59 PMIt saves 2 buses so a massive cash saving
Just goes to show what nonsense the 'Protecting the network' fare increase was really doesn't it!

Tony

Quote from: Straightlines on September 28, 2023, 06:28:13 PMJust goes to show what nonsense the 'Protecting the network' fare increase was really doesn't it!
Routes that don't carry enough passenger get cut, always happened, WMPTE did it back in the 1980s, private companies have done it all over the UK ever since. London is trimming routes that duplicate others along main roads.

Wait until TfGM find how much money it costs to run dead routes and see what they do.

j789

Quote from: Straightlines on September 28, 2023, 06:28:13 PMJust goes to show what nonsense the 'Protecting the network' fare increase was really doesn't it!
This would be true if this was happening to key routes but it's not, only these marginal ones that all have decent coverage along them from other routes. Even before the service changes a decade ago, the 88 was always less used than the 82/87 so this is not a massive surprise. 

If taking 2 buses off this route means that the 82/87 can financially maintain their high frequencies then I'm pretty sure far more passengers will be satisfied with that than a few put out having to change services on the 89.

j789

Quote from: Sh4318 on September 28, 2023, 04:41:07 PMPersonally, it deters me from using the service in that direction, I can't lie

I think it will for a lot of passengers who want to go past Cape Hill

If you live on Brasshouse Lane, it's a short walk to Smethwick Rolfe Street or the 80/87, if you live on Devonshire Road, it's a short walk to both stations, if you live around the Queens Head, you have the 12/A, if you live by the Old Chapel or Cricket Ground, the 87 is not too far away
And this sort of explains why this route is less used than the other Dudley Road services - there are more frequent services close by to many of the areas it runs through.

Yes of course a few end to end passengers will be inconvenienced but there won't be many. I've always found the 82 to be pretty punctual and reliable running such a short route (the 87 less so as it's a longer route) but the 82s will mean passengers are not waiting to long for a connection to the city.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk