News:

Welcome to the WM Buses in Photos Forum! New and existing members are kindly reminded to respect and abide by the Forum Rules that are in place here.

Main Menu

London Midland Trains

Started by Tony, September 22, 2012, 08:43:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

andy41

Quote from: Roy on November 02, 2015, 03:55:37 PM
According to Realtime Trains, London Midland cancelled over 50 departures from New Street on Saturday, the majority due to train crew unavailability.  I've heard that some crew failed to turn up due to Halloween!  Anybody would think that it was as important as Christmas Day.

Isn't it time that DfT put LM out of their misery and relieved them of the franchise?

This forum really makes me laugh at times I swear. You've 'heard' that some didn't turn up due to Halloween? Really. And how pray tell does anybody, even within LM, know that?

I don't know where you work or who with, but I'm assuming you didn't notice that there's been a flu bug around for about two weeks? I should know as I was off with it myself and have seen plenty of others who got it. We are told not to come to work when we are in safety critical roles if we are not up to it.

And what's more, when a train is cancelled due to traincrew unavailability, it is actually very rarely due to somebody not turning up. There are hundreds of reasons why a train may be affected by unavailability of traincrew.

Please don't come on here making such sweeping and totally unfounded accusations about peoples' professionalism unless you are able to back them up accordingly.

Stuharris 6360

Quote from: andy41 on November 02, 2015, 05:29:23 PM
This forum really makes me laugh at times I swear. You've 'heard' that some didn't turn up due to Halloween? Really. And how pray tell does anybody, even within LM, know that?

I don't know where you work or who with, but I'm assuming you didn't notice that there's been a flu bug around for about two weeks? I should know as I was off with it myself and have seen plenty of others who got it. We are told not to come to work when we are in safety critical roles if we are not up to it.

And what's more, when a train is cancelled due to traincrew unavailability, it is actually very rarely due to somebody not turning up. There are hundreds of reasons why a train may be affected by unavailability of traincrew.

Please don't come on here making such sweeping and totally unfounded accusations about peoples' professionalism unless you are able to back them up accordingly.

Excuse me but we have moderators on here to tell people what they can and can't say, please leave it to them.

I worked in the railway industry for many years and yes traincrew do sometimes not turn up just because its halloween. The next occasion will be Christmas, you watch on the Fridays and Saturdays before Christmas how many trains are cancelled because of train crew non availability, either because staff just don't turn up, they phone in sick or don't want to work there rest days.

It will always be an issue within the railway industry, it costs to much to train drivers just to sack them because they don't turn up.
Pensnett is my local garage. Favourite bus of all time is Fleetline 6360 (KON 360P).

andy41

Quote from: Stuharris 6360 on November 02, 2015, 06:14:50 PM
Excuse me but we have moderators on here to tell people what they can and can't say, please leave it to them.

I worked in the railway industry for many years and yes traincrew do sometimes not turn up just because its halloween. The next occasion will be Christmas, you watch on the Fridays and Saturdays before Christmas how many trains are cancelled because of train crew non availability, either because staff just don't turn up, they phone in sick or don't want to work there rest days.

It will always be an issue within the railway industry, it costs to much to train drivers just to sack them because they don't turn up.

Precisely. Don't want to work their rest days is not traincrew not turning up is it? Rest days were optional last time I checked.

And quite frankly I will say what I like when somebody is questioning mine and my colleagues professionalism without any actual evidence of it. It is the OP's post that should be moderated mate. Neither is it for you to moderate me.

@andy41 Admin will decide what you can/cannot say & who's posts do/don't get moderated, please ensure it stays friendly! Winston

@andy41 @Stuharris 6360 - Keep it civil. Kind Regards, LS

Sh4318

The new December timetables have been released
Class 153, 155 and 156. The Super Sprinters
Local Routes: 21, 89, 48/A, 12/A, 54/A
Semi-local routes: 80, 87

Stu

This morning, I decided to catch the train to get to work, as I've been getting fed up of the 'Tuesday Traffic' madness that has just been getting worse over the last few weeks.

I was only travelling from Spring Road to Small Heath (walking the rest of the way, which I must say did me the world of good!), but I was horrified at how ram-packed the train already was when I got on board! Thankfully I was only travelling two stops, and it was barely a six minute journey, is this pretty normal on the trains during the morning peak, because it's put me off trying that journey again?
My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

Tony

Quote from: Stu on November 24, 2015, 07:42:07 PM
This morning, I decided to catch the train to get to work, as I've been getting fed up of the 'Tuesday Traffic' madness that has just been getting worse over the last few weeks.

I was only travelling from Spring Road to Small Heath (walking the rest of the way, which I must say did me the world of good!), but I was horrified at how ram-packed the train already was when I got on board! Thankfully I was only travelling two stops, and it was barely a six minute journey, is this pretty normal on the trains during the morning peak, because it's put me off trying that journey again?

Yes. Some trains on my line have been known to leave people because they physically cannot get on - happened on the 17:42 from New Street last Wednesday

Stu

Quote from: Tony on November 24, 2015, 07:59:23 PM
Yes. Some trains on my line have been known to leave people because they physically cannot get on - happened on the 17:42 from New Street last Wednesday

Not good! This was the journey timetabled from Spring Road towards Kidderminster at 8:17am; I would have been alright if the platforms at Spring Road and Small Heath had been on the same side! Now I think about it, I probably would have been better off travelling from Acocks Green instead lol!
My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

Kevin

Quote from: Tony on November 24, 2015, 07:59:23 PM

The first train from Rugeley (05:55) in the morning is apparently already full and standing when it gets to Walsall. Tried to catch it from Hamstead (06:41) to work the other day when Diamonds 16s weren't showing up but physically couldn't get on board.
Just 2 carriages. What a joke.
I know it's mostly Amazon staff but come on there must be a spare unit lying around at that time in the morning
Now in exile in Oxfordshire....

Tony

Quote from: Kevin on November 25, 2015, 12:20:18 PM
The first train from Rugeley (05:55) in the morning is apparently already full and standing when it gets to Walsall. Tried to catch it from Hamstead (06:41) to work the other day when Diamonds 16s weren't showing up but physically couldn't get on board.
Just 2 carriages. What a joke.
I know it's mostly Amazon staff but come on there must be a spare unit lying around at that time in the morning

There isn't!

The gentleman in charge of unit diagramming lives in Landywood and goes in on the train including that one quite often and knows the problems, but there is no more units for him to use.

The first possible chance for us to get more units is when the 'D-train' starts coming on stream next year these could be used on the Coventry-Nuneaton service, Coventry Council are pushing for that, or the Bedford-Bletchley line, but even if they were it would only free one class 150 two car and two class 153 single cars.

BK63 YWP

@Tony what's a D train? Is that the ex London underground stock being converted into normal overground operation?
The Funny sounding Enviro 400

15 Wolverhampton to Merry Hill
15A Wolverhampton Merry Hill
16 Wolverhampton to Stourbridge

X10 Gornal Wood

Justin Tyme

Quote from: Stu on November 24, 2015, 07:42:07 PM

I regret to say this is normal.  If the train before the one you used has one carriage less than usual, passengers sometimes get left behind at Hall Green and Spring Road.  Use of trains in the West Midlands just continues to rise and rise.

Stuharris 6360

Quote from: Justin Tyme on November 25, 2015, 07:26:23 PM
I regret to say this is normal.  If the train before the one you used has one carriage less than usual, passengers sometimes get left behind at Hall Green and Spring Road.  Use of trains in the West Midlands just continues to rise and rise.
[/b]

But sadly the amount of rolling stock available remains very static. It will be interesting to see what happens when the new rail franchise is announced, but until then things ain't going to get any better!
Pensnett is my local garage. Favourite bus of all time is Fleetline 6360 (KON 360P).

Tony

Quote from: Chris on November 25, 2015, 07:08:09 PM
@Tony what's a D train? Is that the ex London underground stock being converted into normal overground operation?

Yes

T840MAK

Quote from: Stuharris 6360 on November 25, 2015, 07:31:43 PM
[/b]

But sadly the amount of rolling stock available remains very static. It will be interesting to see what happens when the new rail franchise is announced, but until then things ain't going to get any better!

The chances are nothing. There is a distinct lack of carriages in the UK affecting all operators, not just London Midland. Ideally I'd like to see extra carriages in both the LM and TPE franchises when they're re-let...but its not going to happen unfortunately.
Twitter @TomCousins60054
Flickr https://www.flickr.com/photos/modeltrains33/

Stuharris 6360

Quote from: T840MAK on November 25, 2015, 08:07:53 PM
The chances are nothing. There is a distinct lack of carriages in the UK affecting all operators, not just London Midland. Ideally I'd like to see extra carriages in both the LM and TPE franchises when they're re-let...but its not going to happen unfortunately.

This is from a press release i received earlier

"The recent historic West Midlands Devolution Agreement means:
·         A new, directly elected Mayor for the West Midlands.
·         Devolution of powers over adult skills, employment and transport launching the competition for the new West Midlands rail franchise, which will incentivise bidders to deliver better services and enhanced capacity, along with better stations and access, both in the West Midlands and on commuter routes into London. The next franchisee will also be required to work with West Midlands Rail to prepare for the journey towards full devolution of rail services to the West Midlands. West Midlands Rail and DfT will jointly launch a public consultation in December."

so you never know?!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk