News:

Reminder to all members: please keep thread discussions 'on-topic' - this is a structured discussion forum, not a general 'group chat'!

Main Menu

Chaserider

Started by Pat, January 06, 2021, 10:25:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

the trainbasher

Quote from: Pat on June 01, 2021, 05:26:46 PM
Anyone know what vehicle was on the X14 today?

It was 22 MM13OCH I believe

All opinions and onions mentioned on here are mine and not those of any employer, current, past, present or future, or presented as fact, unless I prove it otherwise.

Smethwickian

Nice to see the X14 being advertised on the information screens at Telford bus station yesterday, with an eye-catching promo highlighting the fact that it stops at Weston Park and the designer outlet. The laminated X14 timetables stuck to the departure bay door were, in  fact, the only timetables on  display, anywhere, in Telford bus station. There is no signage for departure bays, only the electronic screens, and the travel office has of course been shut by Arriva despite apparently (according to the redundant sign by the door) being supported by the local tourist board. A truly abysmal place in terms of information. But also good to see from Chaserider were X14 timetables at all stops along the route through Telford and Shifnal.
I travelled at 1349 from Telford towards Cannock, in the company of one other passenger, a third joining at Shifnal; we all alighted coincidentally at the designer outlet where three were waiting to return.
While I was drinking a coffee in the sun just outside Telford bus station entrance beforehand, the bus passed through on its very slightly delayed westbound leg and I overheard, quite separately and coincidentally, a couple of pairs of passers-by remark along the lines of 'that red bus' being 'the new one to Cannock' - proving that they must have seen and absorbed the info on display.  So that's timetables and information prominently displayed, helping to spread the word about a new route - why do so few bus companies grasp how basic and important this is!!!!!

Bob

Caught the X14 today from the last outbound stop from Cannock by the Shell garage as its at the end of the road i live on. Theres a stop and shelter opposite. Coming back it takes a totally different route from Longford island going straight down the A5 with no bus stop till Delta Way! Thats insane! Luckily the driver let us off on A5 but theoretically would either have had to walk from delta way with loads of shopping if it even stops there or stay on go to the designer village then back to cannock and back out again to get to the stop i boarded at.

ellspurs

Quote from: Bob on June 05, 2021, 05:02:49 PM
Caught the X14 today from the last outbound stop from Cannock by the Shell garage as its at the end of the road i live on. Theres a stop and shelter opposite. Coming back it takes a totally different route from Longford island going straight down the A5 with no bus stop till Delta Way! Thats insane! Luckily the driver let us off on A5 but theoretically would either have had to walk from delta way with loads of shopping if it even stops there or stay on go to the designer village then back to cannock and back out again to get to the stop i boarded at.

Looking at the description, it seems to do a loop of Cannock, turning right onto the a5 and looping around to the Bus Station via McArthur Glen. The timetable suggests there is a 5 minute layover in Oakengates per round trip, so probably not enough time to do a fully reversed route.

Westy

I haven't been up to the Retail Park yet, but looking at various timetables, both Chaserider & NX X51, plus looking at BusTimes.org, I get the impression services cannot terminate there, just pass through instead.

Is that right?

ellspurs

Quote from: Westy on June 05, 2021, 07:43:25 PM
I haven't been up to the Retail Park yet, but looking at various timetables, both Chaserider & NX X51, plus looking at BusTimes.org, I get the impression services cannot terminate there, just pass through instead.

Is that right?

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.6904028,-2.0123708,3a,23.8y,265.81h,88.83t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1st5o2aC0sr0B3ualHJa1Gzw!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

There's bus stops on the side of the road on one of the outlet roads to the place. There's a lay-by there so theoretically they could lay over in it. Just don't believe any service is actually terminating there at the moment.

Westy

Quote from: ellspurs on June 05, 2021, 08:04:48 PM
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.6904028,-2.0123708,3a,23.8y,265.81h,88.83t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1st5o2aC0sr0B3ualHJa1Gzw!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

There's bus stops on the side of the road on one of the outlet roads to the place. There's a lay-by there so theoretically they could lay over in it. Just don't believe any service is actually terminating there at the moment.

Just thought there had to be a reason why some services were routed as they were, eg the X51 diverting via the Orbital then McArthur Glen, then Cannock, losing the Bridgtown section, instead going via Bridgtown, then Cannock, then McArthur Glen then Orbital loop back the way they came, bearing in mind there was concern over Bridgtown passengers wanting a link to the Walsall route.

Cheese

Quote from: Westy on June 06, 2021, 12:18:42 PM
Just thought there had to be a reason why some services were routed as they were, eg the X51 diverting via the Orbital then McArthur Glen, then Cannock, losing the Bridgtown section, instead going via Bridgtown, then Cannock, then McArthur Glen then Orbital loop back the way they came, bearing in mind there was concern over Bridgtown passengers wanting a link to the Walsall route.

In the case of the X51 isn't this simply because they have been given funding to serve the development?

Westy

Quote from: Cheese on June 06, 2021, 12:31:33 PM
In the case of the X51 isn't this simply because they have been given funding to serve the development?

Yes, I agree, but you'd still serve the development if you went into Cannock first, then out again!

The reason I was asking was why certain buses served McArthurGlen first, before going into Cannock & I wondered whether it was because there was no terminating facillities at McArthur Glen, but as @ellspurs said there is a bay there, that could be used.

The Sunday buses from Pye Green & Hednesford operate similarly don't they? It's not the exact same route as the Monday to Saturday service is it?

ellspurs

Quote from: Westy on June 06, 2021, 12:49:10 PM
Yes, I agree, but you'd still serve the development if you went into Cannock first, then out again!

The reason I was asking was why certain buses served McArthurGlen first, before going into Cannock & I wondered whether it was because there was no terminating facillities at McArthur Glen, but as @ellspurs said there is a bay there, that could be used.

The Sunday buses from Pye Green & Hednesford operate similarly don't they? It's not the exact same route as the Monday to Saturday service is it?

The Sunday routes seem to skip out Old Hendesford Road?

https://bustimes.org/services/25a-cannock-pye-green-hednesford#map
https://bustimes.org/services/25-cannock-pye-green-hednesford-cannock-circular#map

Solo1

why didnt they build the rd so buses could drop nearer to the entrance rather than as they have if you know what i mean if you have been there

Cheese

Quote from: Solo1 on June 06, 2021, 01:52:19 PM
why didnt they build the rd so buses could drop nearer to the entrance rather than as they have if you know what i mean if you have been there

Developers don't want buses near their shops do they...! They're only interested in punters in cars, public transport usually an afterthought. They will only provide what they have to so they get planning permission, nothing more.

Tony

Quote from: Cheese on June 06, 2021, 03:38:02 PM
Developers don't want buses near their shops do they...! They're only interested in punters in cars, public transport usually an afterthought. They will only provide what they have to so they get planning permission, nothing more.

That's not true at all. The developers are the ones subsidising the X51 to go into the place

Solo1

Quote from: Tony on June 06, 2021, 03:41:03 PM
That's not true at all. The developers are the ones subsidising the X51 to go into the place
so why didnt they plan to have the buses stop nearer in that case instead of having to walk about 5-10 mins to the shops

Tony

Quote from: Solo1 on June 06, 2021, 04:37:57 PM
so why didnt they plan to have the buses stop nearer in that case instead of having to walk about 5-10 mins to the shops

Have you been there? obviously not.

My house is 10 minutes walk away! the bus stop is 2 minutes walk maximum

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk