News:

Welcome to the WM Buses in Photos Forum! New and existing members are kindly reminded to respect and abide by the Forum Rules that are in place here.

Main Menu

If you had the chance to modify or add any service, what would you do?

Started by Alex, November 15, 2014, 06:30:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wumpty

Quote from: Stu on October 29, 2023, 08:52:30 PMYes, the flip-dot displays have a lower 'resolution' compared to the LED matrix displays, but both still have limitations on what can be 'clearly' displayed to intending passengers.

I don't know if I dreamt this, or if I actually read about it somewhere, but I seem to recall seeing somewhere someone trialling a full TFT/LED destination display on a bus, which offered a crisp high-res display and actually simulated the 'look' of a TFL-style roller blind.

I would guess that as the LED matrix technology evolves and becomes more affordable, the quality and resolution of destination displays will become more advanced.
There are @Stu :

FOI request detail - Transport for London (tfl.gov.uk)

Simply, they use high resolution LED technology, similar to a television screen, though the difficulty is that it requires its own tech and software.

Exceptionally high quality mind!
Autofare 3 - the ticket that laughs in the face of contactless!

Ronnoc

There really should be a free bus that circles the city centre. I went on the one in Leicester and it was lovely. 
Additionally, I'd like to see some more university branded buses that can help the X21/X22, especially during peak hours. If a bus does not show up in 10 minutes, it's a bit of a sticky one styll.

Tony

Quote from: Ronnoc on November 01, 2023, 08:20:48 PMThere really should be a free bus that circles the city centre. I went on the one in Leicester and it was lovely.
Additionally, I'd like to see some more university branded buses that can help the X21/X22, especially during peak hours. If a bus does not show up in 10 minutes, it's a bit of a sticky one styll.
Who pays?  It's been tried see Diamond 77 service, virtually nobody used it.

Not quite sure how branding some more buses helps. Frequency has just been increased on the X21/2

Ronnoc

Quote from: Tony on November 01, 2023, 08:34:34 PMWho pays?  It's been tried see Diamond 77 service, virtually nobody used it.

Not quite sure how branding some more buses helps. Frequency has just been increased on the X21/2

When was the Diamond 77 service started/stopped? With the city centre changing so quickly, I feel like there might be a greater need for it compared to beforehand. I'd guess maybe TfWM would pay for it, definitely not the council though.

For the university one, I meant increased frequency of buses, and adding university branding to them. However, it's good to see that frequency has increased on the X21/X22, peak-time buses were almost bursting.

Tony

Quote from: Ronnoc on November 01, 2023, 08:50:24 PMWhen was the Diamond 77 service started/stopped? With the city centre changing so quickly, I feel like there might be a greater need for it compared to beforehand. I'd guess maybe TfWM would pay for it, definitely not the council though.

You obviously don't realise where TfWM's money comes from. Your council tax!

Quote from: Tony on November 01, 2023, 08:58:56 PMYou obviously don't realise where TfWM's money comes from. Your council tax!
I think the closest we'll probably get to that is what the 16/16A service does connecting Snow Hill, Moor Street, Smallbrook Queensway and The Markets.

As well as the loops the 82/87 and 23/24 do.
Local Routes
94/95, 11A/11C, 28.

Rachvince53

At one time the 101 was merged with the 76 which seems the way to go, ie tag a city centre loop on to another service.  

Ronnoc

Quote from: Tony on November 01, 2023, 08:58:56 PMYou obviously don't realise where TfWM's money comes from. Your council tax!

Whatever the method of funding, I'd like to see it return. 

Tony

Sh4318

One thing I would definitely do is renumber the 89 to the 50

80 series routes have always been associated in Smethwick with services that serve the City Centre, even bygone services, such as 80A, 81, 83, 88. The 89 has far more in common with the withdrawn 50A/C, 54/54A than any of the 80 series routes

While, yes, I'm aware renumbering requires the changing of bus stop flags and timetables, a lot of the 89 bus stops show "towards Birmingham", there's even one on Hales Lane that says "towards Oldbury", the route hasn't served Oldbury in this decade. Also, the timetables haven't been updated in several bus stops

Secondly, and this is more heart than head, would be to reinstate the link between Cape Hill and Birmingham on the 89, via the 80 route, and renumber it 80A, the 80 frequency could be adjusted to every 10 then 20 minutes Monday to Saturday, and every 20 and 40 on Sunday - with the "80A" being every half an hour (hourly on Sundays), again, more of a desire than anything else
Class 153, 155 and 156. The Super Sprinters
Local Routes: 21, 89, 48/A, 12/A, 54/A
Semi-local routes: 80, 87

Stu

Quote from: Sh4318 on November 05, 2023, 06:19:34 PMWhile, yes, I'm aware renumbering requires the changing of bus stop flags and timetables, a lot of the 89 bus stops show "towards Birmingham", there's even one on Hales Lane that says "towards Oldbury", the route hasn't served Oldbury in this decade. Also, the timetables haven't been updated in several bus stops
The 'towards' info is generally a stop database 'thing' which often gets overlooked when routes change.

There are bus stops used by the 5 (Birmingham to Solihull) on Court Road and Showell Green Lane in Sparkhill which still show 'towards Yardley Wood' on them, which are a 'hangover' from the time when the 2 served them.

My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

Sh4318

Quote from: Stu on November 05, 2023, 06:31:50 PMThe 'towards' info is generally a stop database 'thing' which often gets overlooked when routes change.

There are bus stops used by the 5 (Birmingham to Solihull) on Court Road and Showell Green Lane in Sparkhill which still show 'towards Yardley Wood' on them, which are a 'hangover' from the time when the 2 served them.

If that's the case, you think it would be easier for the bus numbers on the flags be stickers than can be attached/detached as required

Rachvince53

Quote from: Sh4318 on November 06, 2023, 12:15:09 PMIf that's the case, you think it would be easier for the bus numbers on the flags be stickers than can be attached/detached as required
Unfortunately that would likely make the flags messy as the stickers would peel off due to weather attrition.  Ideally every stop should have an electronic display. 

ellspurs

Quote from: Sh4318 on November 06, 2023, 12:15:09 PMIf that's the case, you think it would be easier for the bus numbers on the flags be stickers than can be attached/detached as required
You can ask Oxforshire County Council about how much easier it is for stickers. They haven't properly updated their flags since some of the university services got renumbered, and when Diamond withdrew from the 250 in February. It's replacement service, 24, still isn't on the flags on the Banbury Road whereas the 250 persists. The stickers used on the flags don't always match either so you have a massive X3 sat next to a timid 100 (which is covering up a U1 sticker).

Sh4318

Quote from: Rachvince53 on November 06, 2023, 12:54:59 PMUnfortunately that would likely make the flags messy as the stickers would peel off due to weather attrition.  Ideally every stop should have an electronic display.
I fully agree with this. Feels like a waste to have to remake them, screw out the old one, fit the new one etc.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk