News:

Please do have a browse through the forums or use the Search functionality before posting a new topic - chances are there is already a discussion underway on that subject, or your question has already been answered previously!

Main Menu

A34 and A45 Sprint routes will run 'cross-city'

Started by Stu, February 07, 2020, 07:52:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

the trainbasher

Quote from: ellspurs on February 09, 2020, 12:54:15 PM
A more logical solution would be to have the P&R as an exit off the J7 roundabout, while at the same time sorting out that ridiculous layout so it looks like a normal functioning junction.

Apparently there was a response to the reason of the junction 7 layout on SABRE

Quote from: SABREDesigns for this junction were compromised by its close proximity to the M5.

The idea of this layout is to maximise the distance between the west facing slips and junction 8.

All opinions and onions mentioned on here are mine and not those of any employer, current, past, present or future, or presented as fact, unless I prove it otherwise.

ellspurs

Quote from: the trainbasher on February 09, 2020, 01:18:28 PM
Apparently there was a response to the reason of the junction 7 layout on SABRE

And that first "early design" shown on SABRE would've solved the problem and allowed for the P&R to be stuck on the green stuff up there without issue.

Sandy Lane

Quote from: Winston on February 08, 2020, 11:16:01 AM
@don - If you look at the Sprint marketing material, they are illustrated as Van Hool artics.

You know, artics from the 2000's that are now coke cans
Can someone tell the mayor that artics are a thing of the past. I suggest the mayor had best come up with a new plan - perhaps having a look back in time at https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/FTR_(bus).

Bradford/Leeds FTR gone 2016
York FTR gone 2012
Luton gone
Swansea FTR gone 2015

MOD NOTE - fixed link  ;) - Stu

Stu

Quote from: Sandy Lane on February 09, 2020, 02:07:39 PM
Can someone tell the mayor that artics are a thing of the past. I suggest the mayor had best come up with a new plan - perhaps having a look back in time at https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/FTR_(bus).

Bradford/Leeds FTR gone 2016
York FTR gone 2012
Luton gone
Swansea FTR gone 2015

Bus Rapid Transit (BRT) as a concept is not new, Bogota in Columbia have had this type of system since 2000:
https://ggwash.org/view/62869/bogota-has-a-world-renowned-brt-what-would-it-take-to-replicate-it

My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

Busboy105

Quote from: Jack on February 10, 2020, 03:31:58 PM
https://www.expressandstar.com/news/transport/2020/02/10/sprint-bus-service-connecting-walsall-and-birmingham-set-to-be-signed-off/
So this is actually happening then. Hope this last long unlike the York and Swansea BRTs.
Anyone seen the article on Birmingham Mail about the woman who is going to have her house demolished in order to make way for the new tram line? Absolutely ludicrous.

winston

Busboy105

Quote from: Winston on February 10, 2020, 04:08:21 PM
What a waste of £88 million.
Could've been better spent elsewhere for example improving traffic on major roads I.e. Dudley Road or expand on the tram network. Manchester and Sheffield have a better tram network than us.

winston

Quote from: Busboy105 on February 10, 2020, 05:38:05 PM
Could've been better spent elsewhere for example improving traffic on major roads I.e. Dudley Road or expand on the tram network. Manchester and Sheffield have a better tram network than us.

£88 million won't buy much of an tram extension.

Stu

So we can probably expect confirmation of who this 'mystery operator' is going to be in coming weeks, no prizes for guessing who.

Rather than 'competing' against any succesful contract bidder, National Express West Midlands surely have all the data they need from usage of the X51, X1 and X2 to have a good idea of how commercially succesful they expect this service to be.

This Sprint route could well be the end of those services then, as they would surely be direct replacements along those corridors. There would of course still be a need for the likes of the 33, 51 and 60, as well as a possible new Coventry to Airport via Meriden service.

Good news for other bus passengers then, as this would free up Platinum vehicles to be cascaded on to other routes.
My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

Busboy105

Quote from: Stu on February 10, 2020, 07:49:27 PM
So we can probably expect confirmation of who this 'mystery operator' is going to be in coming weeks, no prizes for guessing who.

Rather than 'competing' against any succesful contract bidder, National Express West Midlands surely have all the data they need from usage of the X51, X1 and X2 to have a good idea of how commercially succesful they expect this service to be.

This Sprint route could well be the end of those services then, as they would surely be direct replacements along those corridors. There would of course still be a need for the likes of the 33, 51 and 60, as well as a possible new Coventry to Airport via Meriden service.

Good news for other bus passengers then, as this would free up Platinum vehicles to be cascaded on to other routes.
Yeah, East Birmingham will finally get good buses. (This was sarcasm by the way before I accidentally start ANOTHER rant).

Quote from: Stu on February 10, 2020, 07:49:27 PM
And what about passengers who change onto the X1 and X2, from other services such as the 11 with NX passes and tickets.
I suppose these passes and tickets would no longer be valid, and fares will increase for these passengers?
Local Routes
94/95, 11A/11C, 28.

Tony

Quote from: 2206 on February 10, 2020, 07:58:56 PM
And what about passengers who change onto the X1 and X2, from other services such as the 11 with NX passes and tickets.
I suppose these passes and tickets would no longer be valid, and fares will increase for these passengers?

Why would it be any different to now?

Quote from: Tony on February 10, 2020, 08:04:49 PM
Why would it be any different to now?
I never said it would be, so there will be passes/tickets valid on both sprint and bus, at the same price as the NX Bus passes/tickets?

And presumably passengers on Old Lode Lane will have to have some replacement because of this sprint service. Frequency to Solihull halved and complete loss of service to Birmingham City Centre, if the X2 goes.

Local Routes
94/95, 11A/11C, 28.

Tony

Quote from: 2206 on February 10, 2020, 08:07:53 PM
I never said it would be, so there will be passes/tickets valid on both sprint and bus, at the same price as the NX Bus passes/tickets?

You asked this question

"I suppose these passes and tickets would no longer be valid, and fares will increase for these passengers?"

I asked

"Why would it be any different to now?"

Why go into aggressive mode

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk