News:

Welcome to the WM Buses in Photos Forum! New and existing members are kindly reminded to respect and abide by the Forum Rules that are in place here.

Main Menu

Bus Services axed/changed from 1st January 2023

Started by 2206, October 11, 2022, 07:25:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tony

QuoteI know, I've seen the Bustimes map.

Well either that, or Stagecoach are not running the route as to what was agreed with TFWM? Maybe there was some confusion?
I shouldn't worry too much about which route they are taking, there won't be any passengers soon. Looks like currently only one of the 4 buses is on the route with a second one down by the cricket ground in Edgbaston

Sandy Lane

Quote from: Tony on January 10, 2023, 10:13:05 AMI shouldn't worry too much about which route they are taking, there won't be any passengers soon. Looks like currently only one of the 4 buses is on the route with a second one down by the cricket ground in Edgbaston
Getting more like the trains every day.

winston

Quote from: Tony on January 10, 2023, 10:13:05 AMI shouldn't worry too much about which route they are taking, there won't be any passengers soon. Looks like currently only one of the 4 buses is on the route with a second one down by the cricket ground in Edgbaston
The 2nd one has started a journey from Kings Heath, still only 2 on route now.

Rachvince53

Quote from: MasterPlan on January 10, 2023, 09:23:59 AMI know, I've seen the Bustimes map.

Well either that, or Stagecoach are not running the route as to what was agreed with TFWM? Maybe there was some confusion?
Seems to be a mapping issue with TfWM as the Diamond 226 map only shows the previous route omitting Wall Heath which now runs on evenings and Sundays as 226A.

Matt.N0056

Quote from: winston on January 10, 2023, 10:38:08 AMThe 2nd one has started a journey from Kings Heath, still only 2 on route now.

I believe there is 3 buses on there, with one not tracking. Now 2 buses showing on 41. Looking at journeys operated on Bus times for 41 yesterday, there was not much of a service, similar to how today started! 

SO6597

The changes to the 46 have a very haphazard feel about them. Apart from the big operational problems described on the SC Bham thread, I think TfWM's management of this has been very poor:

-A timetable going onto their website mid-Dec, being taken down shortly afterwards and then not appearing for a couple of weeks.
-The route maps being different to the route actually followed both before and after implementation.
-Flags that are showing as unserved by buses along sections of the actual route over a week on from the changes (e.g. Shenley Fields Rd and the Dawberry Fields area). 

None of the above and the ongoing missing journeys will improve usage of this route.

It's also strange that it skirts busy suburbs such as Selly Oak and Weoley Castle without actually going into them. Even the route through Northfield is odd with journeys in the direction of the QE stopping either halfway down Church Rd or at the top of Bell Hill, both are not conducive to attracting passengers.

Quote from: SO6597 on January 10, 2023, 07:02:14 PMIt's also strange that it skirts busy suburbs such as Selly Oak and Weoley Castle without actually going into them. Even the route through Northfield is odd with journeys in the direction of the QE stopping either halfway down Church Rd or at the top of Bell Hill, both are not conducive to attracting passengers.
Thats what the X21 does serving Selly Oak and Weoley Castle linking them to the QE. Probably why it skips them out.  The old 48 route originally skirted Selly Oak and left that to the X21 anyway. Also it might spare an extra bus having to be used even possibly I would guess.

Likewise flags still show 58 & 69. And the withdrawn 89 service in the Erdington area along stretches of road no longer served.
Local Routes
94/95, 11A/11C, 28.

Lukeee

The bus stops on the 96 need updating between Erdington and kingstanding as they don't show the sunday and evening service as running and the stops between chelmsley and the airport don't show them also

Stu

Quote from: Lukeee on January 10, 2023, 08:06:37 PMThe bus stops on the 96 need updating between Erdington and kingstanding as they don't show the sunday and evening service as running and the stops between chelmsley and the airport don't show them also
If the printed timetable at those stops shows a date before 1st January, then they will be updated in due course.

There are lots of stops that still need flags and printed timetables changing, it won't happen overnight unfortunately.
My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

metrocity

Quote from: Stu on January 10, 2023, 08:15:09 PMIf the printed timetable at those stops shows a date before 1st January, then they will be updated in due course.

There are lots of stops that still need flags and printed timetables changing, it won't happen overnight unfortunately.
TFWM have confirmed that all roadside information will be updated and in place by end of February.

MasterPlan

Quote from: SO6597 on January 10, 2023, 07:02:14 PMIt's also strange that it skirts busy suburbs such as Selly Oak and Weoley Castle without actually going into them. Even the route through Northfield is odd with journeys in the direction of the QE stopping either halfway down Church Rd or at the top of Bell Hill, both are not conducive to attracting passengers.

I find that strange as well, I'm not sure what benefit going down Shenley Fields Road etc there is in all fairness. At least going the way the 48 did you'll actually pick up some passengers.
Quote from: 2206 on January 10, 2023, 07:16:27 PMThats what the X21 does serving Selly Oak and Weoley Castle linking them to the QE. Probably why it skips them out.  The old 48 route originally skirted Selly Oak and left that to the X21 anyway. Also it might spare an extra bus having to be used even possibly I would guess.

The key factor there is the X21 doesn't serve Northfield which is a key link for the area.

Also you're forgetting that the 48 served those areas alongside the X64 before the X21 was introduced.
Local Routes: 002, 39/39A, X21, 46, 76.
Localish Routes: 18, 23, X22.

Quote from: MasterPlan on January 10, 2023, 09:23:23 PMI find that strange as well, I'm not sure what benefit going down Shenley Fields Road etc there is in all fairness. At least going the way the 48 did you'll actually pick up some passengers.
The key factor there is the X21 doesn't serve Northfield which is a key link for the area.
Yes but the 76 does I think at least from Weoley Castle Square. There was time a few years back when Swarthmore Road just had somethiing like off peak only 10S.
Local Routes
94/95, 11A/11C, 28.

MasterPlan

Quote from: 2206 on January 10, 2023, 09:24:59 PMYes but the 76 does I think at least from Weoley Castle Square.

Yes, but different areas of Weoley Castle. Not the area you're referring to.
Local Routes: 002, 39/39A, X21, 46, 76.
Localish Routes: 18, 23, X22.

winston

Quote from: metrocity on January 10, 2023, 09:08:41 PMTFWM have confirmed that all roadside information will be updated and in place by end of February.
That's a very pretty poor turnaround by TfWM, two months after the changes.... they've had months to get all this place. They only gave operators two weeks notice of Tender awards inc Christmas Break in some instances.... 

Justin Tyme

It is possible to get maps of Stagecoach bus services on its website, although it isn't intuitive to reach.

On its website, click on "Plan your journey" and put in a start and finish point.  They don't have to be the termini, which is just as well because "Queen Elizabeth Hospital" is not recognised.

When the results show, click on "Show details" and a map for the journey will appear below times and ticket information.  You should also see mention of "Bus 46" (or other route) in green type.  This is a link - click on it, and then on the map click on "View stops on a route map".  Hey presto - a map of the full route appears, which you can scroll to expand or contract.

As a shortcut, the 46 route map is here: https://www.stagecoachbus.com/routes/midlands/46/qe-hospital-kings-heath/xlao046.i

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk