News:

Reminder to all members: please keep thread discussions 'on-topic' - this is a structured discussion forum, not a general 'group chat'!

Main Menu

Service Changes - 26th Jan 2014

Started by JPC, December 05, 2013, 04:42:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kevin_Brum12

Quote from: mikestone on December 27, 2013, 10:59:22 PM
I suspect another operator falling into the trap of "a bus service to the hospital is essential" survey results, when in reality almost everyone attending a hospital either gets a lift off a friend or rings for a taxi and is useless to staff because it doesn't cover three shift working so staff still need a car and parking permit.

http://www.coventrytelegraph.net/news/coventry-news/new-coventry-bus-route-longest-4045809

Our old friends Centro and their "Network Reviews" again.  Though you do have to wonder why the Coventry Outer Circle has failed, when the previous routes 701, 801 and 704 were commercial.  Is it a case of respondents in the review saying they would use an Outer Circle bus, but in reality travelling into Pool Meadow, changing buses there and travelling back out again, particularly those with NX Coventry passes?

Valandil

To be honest, I wouldn't be too surprised if the 801 returned and either the 701/704 were merged or the original 703, 704 and 701 were restored.
It's probably the Tile Hill area that was the 360's Achilles heel, and the bringing back of the 43, assumedly tendered, may show that.
(Maybe other services in the area will need to be brought back for Westwood Business Park -- I'm thinking particularly of something like the 81w, which could maybe be called 5w).

The evening and Sunday loadings can't have helped the 360: I remember when the 801 used to begin at something like 1pm on a Sunday which, while not great from passengers' point of view, will have meant fewer journeys carrying fresh air around.

JoNi

When 360 was introduced there was complaint backed by councillors in Evening Telegraph that it didn't serve Allesley Park terminus. This would have seemingly taken the route over 50 kilometres and required two registrations!

Valandil

Hmm, I've looked a bit further into this, because the comment I made about the 43 above doesn't seem to make sense.
The most natural explanation would be that the 43 referred to on http://www.networkwestmidlands.com/bus/servicechanges/ServiceChangesPages/26January2014.aspx is the 'wrong one' and that they are really talking about an amendment to de Courcey's current school service 43, which looks like it operates from Ullathorne School to Broad Lane.

sonic2009

If it's not already been mentioned on here, the 360 service is going to be run by Diamond. That's what I've been told by the driver I know on the x30 service, with a depot opening in Coventry as well.

Valandil

Very interesting news! Didn't see that one coming!

Kevin

Quote from: sonic2009 on January 10, 2014, 09:27:13 PM
If it's not already been mentioned on here, the 360 service is going to be run by Diamond. That's what I've been told by the driver I know on the x30 service, with a depot opening in Coventry as well.

Erm.... Wow? Anyone know any more on this? Are Diamond doing taking over this and DeCourcey returning to their original routes? Have I got the wrong end of two very different sticks?
Now in exile in Oxfordshire....

the trainbasher

Quote from: Kevin on January 11, 2014, 10:57:00 PM

Erm.... Wow? Anyone know any more on this? Are Diamond doing taking over this and DeCourcey returning to their original routes? Have I got the wrong end of two very different sticks?

Apparently the signature Citaros have the 360 programmed into the destination displays

All opinions and onions mentioned on here are mine and not those of any employer, current, past, present or future, or presented as fact, unless I prove it otherwise.

winston

Quote from: the trainbasher on January 11, 2014, 10:57:57 PM
Quote from: Kevin on January 11, 2014, 10:57:00 PM

Apparently the signature Citaros have the 360 programmed into the destination displays

If Long Acre is sold/sub-let, I'd expect that the Signature work & vehicles may well move in to the new Coventry depot, plus the National Grid contracts

sonic2009

I heard that the new depot will be in Radford, and that some DeCourcey drivers are transferring to Diamond.

Regarding the National Grid contract I don't think that will move to Coventry as it is interworked with X30, the drivers are all the same on the service.

The early turn on the X30 involves working until 2pm on the service buses, and then taking the coach from Pool Meadow to Warwick to work the National Grid Contract.

The late turn on the X30 involves working the National Grid service in the morning, taking it to Pool Meadow, covering the early turn breaks on the X30, and then continuing in service on the X30 until end of service.

sonic2009

If Diamond are bidding for contracts in Coventry, are they going to try and compete with National Express I wonder?

PM

Quote from: sonic2009 on January 12, 2014, 01:00:55 PM
If Diamond are bidding for contracts in Coventry, are they going to try and compete with National Express I wonder?

That's not a bad call, as certain contracts were ditched due to dead mileage which clearly would not now be a problem. I would expect the coaches and signature buses to move across there and Long Acre would keep everything else until it is closed/let and then presumably all WM services would go across to Tividale, dependent on capacity there and at Redditch.

One thing I was thinking, currently signature buses are used on 50/16 on sunday to give diamond's services a boost but if they were based at Coventry this would be far less likely and the buses wouldn't do much on a Sunday other than the S3. Maybe there is scope for winning some Coventry contracts on a sunday to improve vehicle utilisation?

winston

Surely the X30 & the National Grid contracts would all go to the new Coventry depot as one, it would drastically cut the amount of dead mileage, which is what a new Coventry depot is designed to do!

Quote from: sonic2009 on January 12, 2014, 12:59:27 PM
I heard that the new depot will be in Radford, and that some DeCourcey drivers are transferring to Diamond.

Regarding the National Grid contract I don't think that will move to Coventry as it is interworked with X30, the drivers are all the same on the service.

The early turn on the X30 involves working until 2pm on the service buses, and then taking the coach from Pool Meadow to Warwick to work the National Grid Contract.

The late turn on the X30 involves working the National Grid service in the morning, taking it to Pool Meadow, covering the early turn breaks on the X30, and then continuing in service on the X30 until end of service.

I'd have thought an increased presence from Rotala/Diamond in Coventry may have more implications for DeCourcey rather than NXC, NX don't really get heavily involved in Centro contracts these days. DeCourcey have won quite a bit of work at the expense of Rotala owned Flights Hallmark, i.e. the NEC shuttle contracts (10 buses) & NX diagrams on 210 & 777 (14 Coaches)

Quote from: sonic2009 on January 12, 2014, 01:00:55 PM

Solo1

The depot will be Oban rd so i was told
what buses will be used on 360

vinh1000

Quote from: Solo1 on January 12, 2014, 02:14:25 PM
The depot will be Oban rd so i was told
what buses will be used on 360
signature buses maybe?
dont really expect darts on the 360 lol
Vinny - frequent bus traveller :-)

HELEN - http://mb-web.co.uk/heleninstaller_3.3.msi
Manual:
Mobitec: http://mb-web.co.uk/MIE.zip

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk