News:

Welcome to the WM Buses in Photos Forum! New and existing members are kindly reminded to respect and abide by the Forum Rules that are in place here.

Main Menu

London Buses.

Started by Stuharris 6360, November 21, 2013, 08:11:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stuharris 6360

Personally think the NRM is a total waste of time and money, was supposed to be used in crew operation, until they found the cost was prohibitive, and the new LTs being delivered now couldn't be used like that anyway, they bake you in the heat, i just wonder what the new mayor will do with these white elephants.
Pensnett is my local garage. Favourite bus of all time is Fleetline 6360 (KON 360P).

barry619

Quote from: Tony on July 24, 2015, 01:13:28 PM
Now take out the idiot Christian Wolmar who has political reasons for his spoutings, he wants to be the next Labour Mayor of London, so anything Boris has done is bad.

Quite. Wolmar should stick to writing about railways as the BBC article demonstrates that he has no idea how a series hybrid diesel-electric bus functions.

He says that "the electric motor does not work" in nine out of every ten New RMs. The motor is the only means of propulsion for the type, and so if it didn't work then London would be littered with immobile Borismasters. It is highly irresponsible of the BBC to be giving air time to someone who is as clueless on the subject as Wolmar is.

While there clearly is a problem with New RM batteries, and one which is going to be hugely expensive for whoever has produced them, the BBC article is full of little other than "I am told" and "the drivers say that..." It hardly inspires confidence in what is presented as fact by the reporter.

QuoteAre any of the other hybrids having battery problems yet? I would be surprised if not, because, barring the milk float, time and time again throughout transport history battery technology has let us down. Either the range ends up far lower than predicted, or the battery life is far shorter. When oh when is there going to be a big trial with flywheel technology?

Do not be surprised. There is a huge and very expensive problem looming with the batteries on early hybrids, which have failed to meet the 7.5 year lifespan promised by the manufacturers. To replace a set is horrifically expensive, and even then they are only good for another 5-6 years. Hybrids will also have pathetic resale values on the second-hand market, as shown by the few that Ensign has struggled to shift so far, because who is going to spend a massive amount on batteries in a bus which is over 10 years old?

I am absolutely certain that many of the E400 hybrids and the like will go for scrap when they come out of London at 12-14 years old, but there is also a line of thinking within the industry that conversion of some hybrids to straight diesel with Euro 6 units is not unlikely in time. It will give a proven product which will be worth much more than a diesel-electric when the time comes to get rid. In the grand scheme of things, hybrid is a flash in the pan, and little more than a stepping stone between diesel and full electric.

As for flywheels, there are quite a number already in the market with Go-Ahead which have been fitted by GKN at Telford. Wrightbus is working with Torotrak on a flywheel arrangement and there is one in a StreetLite with Arriva in Gillingham. The tough nut for manufacturers to crack is integrating the flywheel into the remainder of the bus' systems: it must talk to the engine and gearbox so that both are aware that the flywheel is dumping energy back into the driveline upon acceleration. The gearbox retarder also needs to be switched out when the flywheel is charging to allow it to harvest the most energy.

It may be taking a while but I am sure both the GKN and Torotrak will get their flywheels into the mainstream market before too much longer. The concept is inherently sound and cost effective. The flywheel unit is very solid indeed and requires only one removal for maintenance through the vehicle's life. It will become the same as Micro Hybrid in Wrightbus products: as good as a standard fit.

CL

Check out my photos on Flickr & Instagram

winston

Quote from: clayderman on July 30, 2015, 05:45:46 PM
https://m.flickr.com/#/photos/lewisbus/19525055623/

Credit to Photographer

The E200MMC styling at the front definitely looks better with the black light surrounds & recess where the registration plate sits

CL

Quote from: Winston on July 30, 2015, 05:48:43 PM
The E200MMC styling at the front definitely looks better with the black light surrounds & recess where the registration plate sits
Well, personally, I prefer the NX version. I think the red livery & light surrounds deters the asymettric design slightly better.
Check out my photos on Flickr & Instagram

Stuharris 6360

Pensnett is my local garage. Favourite bus of all time is Fleetline 6360 (KON 360P).

Stuharris 6360

Stuharris 6360

A London tour bus has hit a tree, shearing its roof off, at the junction of Woburn Place with Tavistock Place. Emergency services currently at the scene!

John

Quote from: Stuharris 6360 on August 03, 2015, 02:06:20 PM
A London tour bus has hit a tree, shearing its roof off, at the junction of Woburn Place with Tavistock Place. Emergency services currently at the scene!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-33760418

Stuharris 6360

Tiptonian

I am feeling uneasy about this. It is not the first time a bus has hit a, presumably, overhanging tree on a London street and suffered severe damage. I would have thought it was the councils responsibility to maintain the trees such that there is sufficient headroom for a bus making use of a bus stop. If they do not, then should there not be a  road sign indicating restricted headroom at the edge of the road, much the same as if it were an arched bridge? If a bus driver pulls to the kerb (as they are strongly urged to nowadays) to drop off or take on passengers, surely they can expect to do so without destroying the bus? To me, this goes way beyond a drivers' responsibility to "be aware of possible contact with street furniture".

Tony

Quote from: Tiptonian on August 03, 2015, 08:27:41 PM
I am feeling uneasy about this. It is not the first time a bus has hit a, presumably, overhanging tree on a London street and suffered severe damage. I would have thought it was the councils responsibility to maintain the trees such that there is sufficient headroom for a bus making use of a bus stop. If they do not, then should there not be a  road sign indicating restricted headroom at the edge of the road, much the same as if it were an arched bridge? If a bus driver pulls to the kerb (as they are strongly urged to nowadays) to drop off or take on passengers, surely they can expect to do so without destroying the bus? To me, this goes way beyond a drivers' responsibility to "be aware of possible contact with street furniture".

TfL do put notices up warning bus drivers of any overhanging trees, I have come across lots of them when driving down there

PM

Also an observation from Tony's excellent Abellio Battersea photos from yesterday- I'm surprised to still see all those darts?! Even the odd euro2 example, yes some must be trainers or withdrawn but I never see darts in central London. Even the 100 that had the nice TWM spec BX54 examples now has e200s!

Stuharris 6360

Was fleetnumber 474 ex Stagecoach London TA100/17100 V474KJN

the trainbasher

I think some unusual workings may be in force on Thursday :)

All opinions and onions mentioned on here are mine and not those of any employer, current, past, present or future, or presented as fact, unless I prove it otherwise.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk