News:

Reminder to all members: please keep thread discussions 'on-topic' - this is a structured discussion forum, not a general 'group chat'!

Main Menu

Hydrogen vehicles

Started by Tony, April 30, 2021, 06:57:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Solo1

Quote from: Mayfield on December 28, 2023, 01:08:51 PMThe hydrogens appear to be very religious, not done any work since the 22nd.
May be the refueling place is shut for Christmas/new year or problem with the pumps there

markcf83

Quote from: Solo1 on December 28, 2023, 02:41:24 PMMay be the refueling place is shut for Christmas/new year or problem with the pumps there
Did wonder why I haven't seen any both yesterday and just now. 
Don't judge me until you've walked in my size ten shoes.

Gareth

The whole thing is just one giant white elephant. They should seriously look into abandoning it completely. It's an embarrassment.

Ronnoc

It's very unfortunate because the buses themselves aren't bad. However, there have been very few orders of Hydroliners compared to the newer Electroliners. So surely after seeing the headache and lack of popularity with hydrogen, NX should focus on one source of power to reach zero-emission fleet targets?

Mayfield

Love to know how many hours of service each one has achieved since delivery, surprised they haven't got flat spots on the tyres from being parked in the same position.

Stu

Quote from: Ronnoc on December 29, 2023, 05:42:07 PMIt's very unfortunate because the buses themselves aren't bad. However, there have been very few orders of Hydroliners compared to the newer Electroliners. So surely after seeing the headache and lack of popularity with hydrogen, NX should focus on one source of power to reach zero-emission fleet targets?
According to Roger French's recent blog, operators in Liverpool and Crawley have both experienced similar issues with lack of hydrogen refuelling capability.

It must be frustrating for Wrightbus too, as no doubt they'd love to take on more orders for their FCEVs, but operators are being put off for this reason - not having local facilities to actually refuel them efficiently and reliably.

I do feel that in the long-term, hydrogen fuel cells are better suited for HGVs and buses/coaches that do more long-distance work, without requiring frequent battery recharging.

But the infrastructure just 'isn't quite there' yet.

Quote from: Gareth on December 29, 2023, 05:24:57 PMThe whole thing is just one giant white elephant. They should seriously look into abandoning it completely. It's an embarrassment.

It would be more embarrassing if NX were committing to buy more hydrogen vehicles without having an agreed timeline in place for the installation of hydrogen generation/refuelling facilities at the garages expected to run those vehicles.

ZEBRA funding is all very well and good, but ultimately it is taxpayers money being wasted if the money doesn't result in bus services regularly using zero emission vehicles and 'saving the planet', if said zero-emission vehicles have to sit around doing nothing because of a lack of fuel to power them.

These 20 hydrogen FCEVs at Walsall were bought by Birmingham City Council using ZEBRA funding, and I assume they are being leased to NX Bus under some kind of arrangement.

I do have to question how long this situation will have to go on for, before NX Bus decide it is not worth paying for vehicles that can't be regularly used in active service, and hand them back to BCC.
My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

BlackCountryBusSpotter

Quote from: Stu on December 29, 2023, 08:44:01 PMAccording to Roger French's recent blog, operators in Liverpool and Crawley have both experienced similar issues with lack of hydrogen refuelling capability.

It must be frustrating for Wrightbus too, as no doubt they'd love to take on more orders for their FCEVs, but operators are being put off for this reason - not having local facilities to actually refuel them efficiently and reliably.

I do feel that in the long-term, hydrogen fuel cells are better suited for HGVs and buses/coaches that do more long-distance work, without requiring frequent battery recharging.

It would be more embarrassing if NX were committing to buy more hydrogen vehicles without having an agreed timeline in place for the installation of hydrogen generation/refuelling facilities at the garages expected to run those vehicles.

ZEBRA funding is all very well and good, but ultimately it is taxpayers money being wasted if the money doesn't result in bus services regularly using zero emission vehicles and 'saving the planet', if said zero-emission vehicles have to sit around doing nothing because of a lack of fuel to power them.

These 20 hydrogen FCEVs at Walsall were bought by Birmingham City Council using ZEBRA funding, and I assume they are being leased to NX Bus under some kind of arrangement.

I do have to question how long this situation will have to go on for, before NX Bus decide it is not worth paying for vehicles that can't be regularly used in active service, and hand them back to BCC.
Couldn't NX buy them and convert them to normal Electric the old awnser would be Diesel but that isn't happening anymore so can't they convert them to being normal Electroliners
Local Routes
NXWM 34, 37, 39, 79
DIA 310
WCT 65
Bit Further Away
NXWM 529, 25, 41, 11, 11A, 40, 47
DIA 326, 57, 23, 41A,
Frequently Travelled On Routes
79, 34/37, 39 and Very Occasionally the 529 and 74

Stu

Quote from: BlackCountryBusSpotter on December 30, 2023, 11:37:38 AMCouldn't NX buy them and convert them to normal Electric the old awnser would be Diesel but that isn't happening anymore so can't they convert them to being normal Electroliners
Why would they spend millions of pounds buying these off BCC to then spend even more money to convert them to full electric? (if it's even possible).

My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

BlackCountryBusSpotter

Quote from: Stu on December 30, 2023, 01:10:56 PMWhy would they spend millions of pounds buying these off BCC to then spend even more money to convert them to full electric? (if it's even possible).

True I did think that after I posted it. 
Local Routes
NXWM 34, 37, 39, 79
DIA 310
WCT 65
Bit Further Away
NXWM 529, 25, 41, 11, 11A, 40, 47
DIA 326, 57, 23, 41A,
Frequently Travelled On Routes
79, 34/37, 39 and Very Occasionally the 529 and 74

EK40

Quote from: Stu on December 29, 2023, 08:44:01 PMAccording to Roger French's recent blog, operators in Liverpool and Crawley have both experienced similar issues with lack of hydrogen refuelling capability.

Aberdeen has similar issues as well even since having hydrogen vehicles since 2014 with those 6x2 vanhools, first has to regularly loan e400cities and e300s from glasgow to cover for unavailable hydrogens (around 25 vehicles).

markcf83

There's about forty in Aberdeen and twenty or so with Metroline in London. Both have been having sporadic issues with getting fuel for them.
Don't judge me until you've walked in my size ten shoes.

Wba_lad

Just seen H1015 in Walsall on hatherton road, pouring water out and smoking, I know it's normal for bits of water to come out of them but this was proper pouring out.

Mayfield

Are you sure it was a hydrogen and not an optical illusion 

BBS

QuoteJust seen H1015 in Walsall on hatherton road, pouring water out and smoking, I know it's normal for bits of water to come out of them but this was proper pouring out.
I'm sure hydrogens don't pour water out like a tap would mate 
Local Bus Routes: 4, 4A, A15, A16, 41,1,11A,11C, A9, A12

winston

Quote from: BBS on January 05, 2024, 01:43:23 PMI'm sure hydrogens don't pour water out like a tap would mate
Hydrogens release steam aswell as water. 

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk