News:

Welcome to the WM Buses in Photos Forum! New and existing members are kindly reminded to respect and abide by the Forum Rules that are in place here.

Main Menu

Whittles

Started by Tomjusttom, October 23, 2012, 09:08:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PM

Quote from: bowler on March 01, 2014, 05:51:55 PM
Quote from: bususer12 on March 01, 2014, 05:13:40 PM
Quote from: Will on March 01, 2014, 11:12:02 AM
Yes I noticed that on Facebook maybe they will decide to sell off Whittles and you can bet pound to a penny that Rotala would purchase it in my opinion they really would have they're fingers in the "Kidderminster pie" anyway although IF or even when it happens we'll have to wait and see...

The OFT may have something to say about that.
why whould they if  that did happen,   as it whould be a gap filled.  other than whittles 2a/2c /3  there is only one other Kidderminster route of whittles that  is not subsidesd  that is the 1  all the rest are on the list that wcc is looking at in there buget cuts

I agree it would provide one unified network of services but the OFT would undoubtedly think that it would stifle competition as Diamond would then be the dominant operator.

bususer12

Yes I noticed that on Facebook maybe they will decide to sell off Whittles and you can bet pound to a penny that Rotala would purchase it in my opinion they really would have they're fingers in the "Kidderminster pie" anyway although IF or even when it happens we'll have to wait and see...

why whould they if  that did happen,   as it whould be a gap filled.  other than whittles 2a/2c /3  there is only one other Kidderminster route of whittles that  is not subsidesd  that is the 1  all the rest are on the list that wcc is looking at in there buget cuts

It's called the Office of Fair trading, there would be an overly dominant operator in the area. Apart from the West Midlands, this is seen rarely across the country due to the OFT. 1 operator can have a monopoly, starving investment and hiking prices.

D10

Yes, but in this case having 2 operators is having a detrimental effect. Neither operator is making money thus depriving the area of Investment by either of them. But then again the OfT are a bunch of London based bureaucrats with no idea what happens in the real world  outside Quangoland!

Cedric

Quote from: D10 on March 01, 2014, 09:12:14 PM
Yes, but in this case having 2 operators is having a detrimental effect. Neither operator is making money thus depriving the area of Investment by either of them. But then again the OfT are a bunch of London based bureaucrats with no idea what happens in the real world  outside Quangoland!
put it this way nobody else  wanted first because Kidderminster ops where losing money so if  eyms  did decied to sell whittles whould anyone be
interested in them  with them making a loss
diamond 8\10/125/292

StourportSam

The 125 is largely a commercial service, only 2 or 3 services a day are supported by Shropshire Council, which I have documented somewhere. The 125 is the main route for Whittle.

Cedric

Quote from: StourportSam on March 02, 2014, 06:26:45 PM

The 125 is largely a commercial service, only 2 or 3 services a day are supported by Shropshire Council, which I have documented somewhere. The 125 is the main route for Whittle.

the 125 was the only whittles route in kidderminster  apart from a few market day ones
diamond 8\10/125/292

StourportSam

Yes, but the OFT question aside, Rotala never wanted Kidderminster in the first place - it just came with Redditch. Kidderminster's operations are hardly a lucrative business to be enthusiastic about and spend money on.

Quote from: StourportSam on February 14, 2014, 11:58:10 PM
Quote from: Will on February 14, 2014, 03:53:20 PM
309 - W409 JAT is still in Kidderminster it's been with Whittle's since July 2013 and I am convinced that it's staying with Whittle's and nothing will change that maybe I need to phone up Andy.

What I don't understand about Whittle's is they don't sell or withdraw any of there vehicles unlike Diamond..

It is listed as a loan everywhere. It would have been repainted by now if it was staying. Don't forget 418 stayed on loan for well over a year.

Is there any need to sell or withdraw the fleet? It works and runs the service and is all low floor etc.
Both 152 and 153 have been withdraw in the past year or so. 161 has been transferred.
Why would they sell any vehicles? They don't have any fleet capacity to do so and almost certainly don't have the capital to upgrade.
Diamond on the other hand have had a lot of clapped out rubbish that's step entrance non DDA and go knows what else to get rid of. As well as the MAN/MCV evolution saga!

Whittle is documented as being a loss making operation, so its understandable to maintain an existing fleet rather than spend vast amounts of money...

Will, you may have been right all along as W409 JAT has gained Whittle logos front and back - still EY everywhere else though. Perhaps it is staying. The forthcoming ex. Finglands cascades should hopefully improve the average age of the EYMS fleet.
EYMS website still lists it as loan though.

Double posts merged, Winston

iamwilljh92

I know I saw it today it looks quite peculiar I'll say that much for it but yes I knew as soon as it came down here that it wasn't going to go back I mean why would it when they [Whittle's] sent (161, R409 FFC) upto Yorkshire as I said a while back I reckon it was a swap although I admit it was bit odd to swap a 1998 vehicle for a 2000 although stranger things happen with Diamond I suppose...

Cedric

Quote from: StourportSam on March 03, 2014, 08:29:36 PM

Yes, but the OFT question aside, Rotala never wanted Kidderminster in the first place - it just came with Redditch. Kidderminster's operations are hardly a lucrative business to be enthusiastic about and spend money on.

309 - W409 JAT is still in Kidderminster it's been with Whittle's since July 2013 and I am convinced that it's staying with Whittle's and nothing will change that maybe I need to phone up Andy.

What I don't understand about Whittle's is they don't sell or withdraw any of there vehicles unlike Diamond..

It is listed as a loan everywhere. It would have been repainted by now if it was staying. Don't forget 418 stayed on loan for well over a year.

Is there any need to sell or withdraw the fleet? It works and runs the service and is all low floor etc.
Both 152 and 153 have been withdraw in the past year or so. 161 has been transferred.
Why would they sell any vehicles? They don't have any fleet capacity to do so and almost certainly don't have the capital to upgrade.
Diamond on the other hand have had a lot of clapped out rubbish that's step entrance non DDA and go knows what else to get rid of. As well as the MAN/MCV evolution saga!

Whittle is documented as being a loss making operation, so its understandable to maintain an existing fleet rather than spend vast amounts of money...

Will, you may have been right all along as W409 JAT has gained Whittle logos front and back - still EY everywhere else though. Perhaps it is staying. The forthcoming ex. Finglands cascades should hopefully improve the average age of the EYMS fleet.

still official classed as loan down here as well, and as for the finglands  vehicles  going back to eyms  the will not improve age much  as they are around  same age as W409 JAT  they are going back  home   as they came from Eyms 
diamond 8\10/125/292

StourportSam

Quote from: bowler on March 03, 2014, 10:24:41 PM

still official classed as loan down here as well, and as for the finglands  vehicles  going back to eyms  the will not improve age much  as they are around  same age as W409 JAT  they are going back  home   as they came from Eyms

I thought the 56 plate Enviro 300s were new to Finglands?
I know there are some old deckers but otherwise there are the W reg ALX 200s, 52 plate darts, 08 Geminis and 56 plate Enviro 300s that could potentially replace P, R, S and T registration vehicles in Yorkshire.

Cedric

Quote from: StourportSam on March 04, 2014, 12:28:23 AM

I know there are some old deckers but otherwise there are the W reg ALX 200s, 52 plate darts, 08 Geminis and 56 plate Enviro 300s that could potentially replace P, R, S and T registration vehicles in Yorkshire.
no the 56/57 plate enviros where new to eyms
diamond 8\10/125/292

StourportSam

Quote from: bowler on March 04, 2014, 10:45:13 AM

Yes the 56/57 plate Enviro 200s were new to EYMS as you seem to be referring, like the ones transferred to Whittle. I mean the 56 plate Enviro 300s currently with Finglands, the same design as First Midland Red's Enviro 300s the 54 plate ones.

Cedric

Quote from: StourportSam on March 04, 2014, 07:27:16 PM
Quote from: bowler on March 04, 2014, 10:45:13 AM

Yes the 56/57 plate Enviro 200s were new to EYMS as you seem to be referring, like the ones transferred to Whittle. I mean the 56 plate Enviro 300s currently with Finglands, the same design as First Midland Red's Enviro 300s the 54 plate ones.
only just found the finglands list I see the ones you mean on there  I was using a eyms list showing vehicles transferd  to finglands
diamond 8\10/125/292

StourportSam

I have seen elsewhere on flickr that all of the ex Finglands buses will depart from Rusholme for the last time this weekend and former Finglands routes will be operated solely by First vehicles from 9th March. This presumably means the ex Finglands vehicles should be arriving in Yorkshire now if not very soon.

Will be interesting to see if this means anything for Whittle in the form of fleet changes. My guess is probably not, as Whittle is not growing it's operations and has all the buses it needs which are all low-floor and ramps etc.

Martin

(309.) W309JAT has now got Whittle fleet name stickers on the front and rear window as I saw it doing route 3 today.
National Express Buses in photographs. https://www.facebook.com/groups/Martin.Morris25/members/

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk