News:

Please do have a browse through the forums or use the Search functionality before posting a new topic - chances are there is already a discussion underway on that subject, or your question has already been answered previously!

Main Menu

National Express Coaches

Started by winston, October 01, 2012, 12:57:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

winston

NX are significantly ramping up services between London & Stansted Airport from this Friday 12th July:

https://www-bishopsstortfordindependent-co-uk.cdn.ampproject.org/c/s/www.bishopsstortfordindependent.co.uk/news/amp/national-express-ramps-up-capacity-between-stansted-airport-9370720/

A6 has a 77% increase in the number of journeys per day

A7 has a 245% increase in the number of journeys per day

A9 has a 25% increase on the number of journeys per day. 

I believe Jason Edwards Travel are covering the Pvr uplift on the A6 & they appear to have received 22 & 72 plate Levante 3's from withing NETS (Lucketts & Kings Ferry)

Assume NX Ops will cover the increased Pvr on the A7 & A9. 

Also the 788 is withdrawn from the same date & will be partly replaced by new service 786 between Cambridge & Luton Airport. 

Mayfield

Quote from: winston on February 29, 2024, 10:43:47 AMIt's only a demo on 4 weeks trial on London - Standard routes with NX, for both Pelican & NX to gain operating experience.

I believe Caetano are developing a hydrogen powered coach too.
Did the electric actually do the 4 week trial

Mayfield

Quote from: winston on July 08, 2024, 05:26:19 PMNX are significantly ramping up services between London & Stansted Airport from this Friday 12th July:

https://www-bishopsstortfordindependent-co-uk.cdn.ampproject.org/c/s/www.bishopsstortfordindependent.co.uk/news/amp/national-express-ramps-up-capacity-between-stansted-airport-9370720/

A6 has a 77% increase in the number of journeys per day

A7 has a 245% increase in the number of journeys per day

A9 has a 25% increase on the number of journeys per day.

I believe Jason Edwards Travel are covering the Pvr uplift on the A6 & they appear to have received 22 & 72 plate Levante 3's from withing NETS (Lucketts & Kings Ferry)

Assume NX Ops will cover the increased Pvr on the A7 & A9.

Also the 788 is withdrawn from the same date & will be partly replaced by new service 786 between Cambridge & Luton Airport.
Wow the A7 is a serious increase, they will be travelling in convoy 

Tony

Quote from: Mayfield on July 08, 2024, 05:44:41 PMDid the electric actually do the 4 week trial
Yes, very successfully, was out 24 hours a day most days with superfast charging taking place in Stansted Airport layover bays during the layover time

Would NX go with double again like the Volvo 9700DD or are they staying away from doubles with the issues they had with the boa vistas 
Wolverhampton Veg 😎

Mayfield

What issues have the Boa's had.

winston

Quote from: Mayfield on July 09, 2024, 10:26:45 PMWhat issues have the Boa's had.
Lack of luggage space on DD coaches. 

That's why NX went down the Van Hool Altano route I.e. large luggage capacity + large passenger capacity. 

Mayfield

Ooh never thought of that, wrongly assumed mechanical issues, could stick some trailers on the back lol

winston

Quote from: Mayfield on July 10, 2024, 11:03:03 AMOoh never thought of that, wrongly assumed mechanical issues, could stick some trailers on the back lol
That is why the 66 plate Boa Vista's started life at NX Ops at Luton on the A1 & were eventually transferred to Edwards for 040, too much luggage space required on Airport runs. 

IMarkeh

Quote from: Tony on July 04, 2024, 05:44:34 PMI think it is extra Levantes initially until another high capacity vehicle can be sourced
Any sort of higher capacity vehicle would need to be a double decker or overdecker style vehicle. For the UK/Ireland, other than VanHool, I can't seem to find any overdecker vehicles. Double deckers are VDLs Futura, Neoplan Skyliner and the Volvo 9700DD but I am going to guess all double deckers would have the same issues as the Boa Vistas.

Are there any other examples of anyone building overdecker/double decker coaches? I've found Ayats and Beulas building an overdecker for Europe and both have done buses for the UK/Ireland but they don't seem to be in very big numbers in the UK, not sure if there is a specific reason why though.

winston

Quote from: IMarkeh on July 13, 2024, 04:21:02 AMAny sort of higher capacity vehicle would need to be a double decker or overdecker style vehicle. For the UK/Ireland, other than VanHool, I can't seem to find any overdecker vehicles. Double deckers are VDLs Futura, Neoplan Skyliner and the Volvo 9700DD but I am going to guess all double deckers would have the same issues as the Boa Vistas.

Are there any other examples of anyone building overdecker/double decker coaches? I've found Ayats and Beulas building an overdecker for Europe and both have done buses for the UK/Ireland but they don't seem to be in very big numbers in the UK, not sure if there is a specific reason why though.
NX don't want DD coaches due to location & access to luggage storage & lack of storage capacity.

IMarkeh

Quote from: winston on July 13, 2024, 10:49:27 AMNX don't want DD coaches due to location & access to luggage storage & lack of storage capacity.
Granted. I was looking partly as DD coaches as sometimes DD coaches could be used as an overdecker. Remove some of the downstairs seats and make that into additional luggage space. Downstairs then becomes toilet, very small wheelchair area (and a few companion seats) and then just convert the rest to additional baggage.

As for just overdeckers though, you aren't blessed for choice, certainly not without getting a custom build for the UK. It will be interesting to see what option NX goes for.

It seems Travelstar have had some new toys 

UK24 TSE
GB24 TSE  
Wolverhampton Veg 😎

winston

Quote from: 900 on July 27, 2024, 10:04:59 AMIt seems Travelstar have had some new toys

UK24 TSE
GB24 TSE 

They've had 3 in total:

TS24 TSE aswell

Quote from: winston on July 27, 2024, 10:33:23 AMThey've had 3 in total:

TS24 TSE aswell
Seems another one has joined the party NX24 TSE

Shame the 73 plate travelstar have hasn't got a TSE reg
Wolverhampton Veg 😎

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk