News:

Welcome to the WM Buses in Photos Forum! New and existing members are kindly reminded to respect and abide by the Forum Rules that are in place here.

Main Menu

London Midland Trains

Started by Tony, September 22, 2012, 08:43:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sh4318

Class 153, 155 and 156. The Super Sprinters
Local Routes: 21, 89, 48/A, 12/A, 54/A
Semi-local routes: 80, 87

tank90

Quote from: Shaun on March 27, 2013, 10:06:58 PM
Franchise is extended to 2017, don't know whether to laugh or cry  :o:
http://www.londonmidland.com/about-us/latest-news/london-midland-franchise-extended-to-2017/
Maybe it gives NX time to put a water tight bid together lol that would be buses trams and trains in the West Midlands, it should work well.
Midland Red West, one of the best Companies to serve Redditch, with some of the best buses.

Dan

winston

Quote from: tank90 on March 27, 2013, 10:40:35 PM
Quote from: Shaun on March 27, 2013, 10:06:58 PM
Franchise is extended to 2017, don't know whether to laugh or cry  :o:
http://www.londonmidland.com/about-us/latest-news/london-midland-franchise-extended-to-2017/
Maybe it gives NX time to put a water tight bid together lol that would be buses trams and trains in the West Midlands, it should work well.

I doubt NX will even bother bidding for it, as that franchise win would definitely attract Oft/MMC intervention, NX would have a monopoly over all forms of public transport within the West Midlands

tank90

Maybe but where does the NX airlines fly too from Birmingham International then lol.

To be honest I think it wouldnt matter because First run a heck of alot of stuff in London and havent had the oft on there case.
If anything it would give us all a better travelling experience for a start.
Midland Red West, one of the best Companies to serve Redditch, with some of the best buses.

Dan

winston

Quote from: tank90 on March 27, 2013, 11:17:55 PM
Maybe but where does the NX airlines fly too from Birmingham International then lol.

To be honest I think it wouldnt matter because First run a heck of alot of stuff in London and havent had the oft on there case.

What NX airlines?

London is a regulated market managed by Tfl, First only run 11.57% of the 7935 Pvr of London buses, Go-Ahead Group are the biggest provider with a 23.89% market share, there are also policies in place to prevent operators running more the 25% of all London buses

tank90

Quote from: Winston on March 27, 2013, 10:43:26 PM
I doubt NX will even bother bidding for it, as that franchise win would definitely attract Oft/MMC intervention, NX would have a monopoly over all forms of public transport within the West Midlands
Quote from: Winston on March 27, 2013, 11:26:34 PM

What NX airlines?

London is a regulated market managed by Tfl, First only run 11.57% of the 7935 Pvr of London buses, Go-Ahead Group are the biggest provider with a 23.89% market share, there are also policies in place to prevent operators running more the 25% of all London buses

Well if NX had an Airline that flew from BIA and had Canal boats offering a water bus I would agree but sadly not, First may only have 11.57% share of buses but the have a higher Percentage of Rail services in London which arent TfL controlled yet. Also didnt First run Croydens trams at one point along with all there bus PVRs and at least FGW

Dan

winston

Quote from: tank90 on March 28, 2013, 12:15:18 AM
Quote from: Winston on March 27, 2013, 10:43:26 PM
Quote from: Winston on March 27, 2013, 11:26:34 PM

What NX airlines?

Well if NX had an Airline that flew from BIA and had Canal boats offering a water bus I would agree but sadly not, First may only have 11.57% share of buses but the have a higher Percentage of Rail services in London which arent TfL controlled yet. Also didnt First run Croydens trams at one point along with all there bus PVRs and at least FGW

First still operate the trams in Croydon, 27 trams

the trainbasher

First don't.

And didn't NX have a monopoly before GoVia got their hands on the central franchise? A little thing named Central Trains?

[scoobydoo] And they would have got away with it too, had it not been for those meddleing bids! [/scoobydoo]

:-)

All opinions and onions mentioned on here are mine and not those of any employer, current, past, present or future, or presented as fact, unless I prove it otherwise.

winston

Quote from: trainbasher on March 28, 2013, 12:55:15 AM
First don't.

And didn't NX have a monopoly before GoVia got their hands on the central franchise? A little thing named Central Trains?

[scoobydoo] And they would have got away with it too, had it not been for those meddleing bids! [/scoobydoo]

First do

http://www.firstgroup.com/ukbus/greater_london/journey_planning/tramlink/

Yes NX had the Central Trains franchise from 1997-2007, when that was awarded they didn't have the Midland Metro, that didn't start operating until 1999. Back then there were also far more smaller bus companies providing competition for TWM than there are today. I think Rotala for one would lodge a complaint with Oft if NX were ever awarded the London Midland franchise in the future..... 

tank90

Quote from: Winston on March 28, 2013, 01:39:28 AM
First don't.

First do

Yes NX had the Central Trains franchise from 1997-2007, when that was awarded they didn't have the Midland Metro, that didn't start operating until 1999. Back then there were also far more smaller bus companies providing competition for TWM than there are today. I think Rotala for one would lodge a complaint with Oft if NX were ever awarded the London Midland franchise in the future.....
You think so?
I don't as it might draw the oft to Redditch unless something is to happen between now and then.

Dan

winston

Quote from: tank90 on March 28, 2013, 01:54:03 PM
Quote from: Winston on March 28, 2013, 01:39:28 AM
First don't.

First do

You think so?
I don't as it might draw the oft to Redditch unless something is to happen between now and then.

Redditch is small fry compared to NX potentially controlling 80% + of the West Midlands bus market, the Midland Metro & all the local train services currently run by London Midland. Although having one operator operating all those forms of transport would have its benefits in terms of interchangeable tickets/ travel cards etc for all the various modes of transport, the negatives are that NX would have control of the pricing structure of all three. Which may further make it difficult for the smaller bus operators to make money in the region i.e. Rotala. NX were once one of the biggest UK rail operators when the franchises were first let, however with the shabbles that UK rail is currently in & any new franchises not being re-let until 2017 at the earliest, I think NX will concentrate on Germany. They may well bid for the select few rail franchises in the UK but it may depend on what implications it may have on their other UK business i.e. bus & coach. After all NX were required to divest Scottish Citylink coaches when they won the Scotrail franchise and then lost it too First, the end result being they lost both businesses.

As for the Oft being interested in Rotala's Redditch takeover, I would have thought that we would have heard something by now if was going to be referred?

Bob

Franchise extended? After the joke of a service they provide???? It needs to be taken back into public ownership doubt itll happen with the scum govt in atm though they seem to be aiming to get rid of anything in the public sector!

andy

Quote from: bob on March 28, 2013, 05:27:51 PM
Franchise extended? After the joke of a service they provide???? It needs to be taken back into public ownership doubt itll happen with the scum govt in atm though they seem to be aiming to get rid of anything in the public sector!

It would never happen whoever is in power, franchising is here to stay.

Bob

I dont know. Labour havent ruled it out

Tony

I've just come through Kings Heath on a class 172, that was something I didn't realise you could do until today

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk