News:

Please do have a browse through the forums or use the Search functionality before posting a new topic - chances are there is already a discussion underway on that subject, or your question has already been answered previously!

Main Menu

Is that rumour true

Started by danny, September 20, 2012, 05:55:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nathan4775

whats the fastest bus with NXWM or are they all the same becuase ive noticed the New Enviros are quite fast
My Flickr;
http://www.flickr.com/photos/90949252@N04/
-----------------------------------------------------------------
4775, 4770, 4697, 4698 , 4141, 4444, 4555

Discodave

Buses and coaches 100kph (62mph) lorries 90kph (56mph) there were rumours the lynxs could do 70mph plus but no it would be the posted speeds most service buses top end about 50 mph some inter urban buses at arriva did do 62mph but it was due to the route eg 76 uses A449 trunk road national speed limit in places (in limits for the vehicle of course)

danny

Think we all now no 62 the limit so to rephrase the question which NXWM bust type is the quickest to get to top speed,
Danny :) proud swift, mango and oyster user...

My locals 12, 12A, 13, 22, 126, and the sixes every weekend :)

PM

Quote from: danny on September 25, 2012, 04:21:54 PM
Think we all now no 62 the limit so to rephrase the question which NXWM bust type is the quickest to get to top speed,

Omnilink or merc

Tony

Quote from: danny on September 25, 2012, 04:21:54 PM

Most NXWM buses are limited to 50mph, some like the majority of Presidents won't get that high (about 44 for a president). Some Tridents have been limited even lower to save fuel (4309 is max 38mph). The old Timesaver Metros would mostly get up to about 68 (limit was 70 in those days). Most Lynx would do about 62 (not limited just highest they could get to) although a few could get to 70. The fastest buses (top speed) I have driven were the 'DP' Leyland Nationals. Ordinary Nationals could get up to about 50, but the 30 DP ones had a higher ratio rear axle which meant there design speed was 68mph, thus not requiring the fitting of a limiter. The allowed 10% run out should have allowed them up to 75mph, but at least 2 6820/6821 which I took to York on Private hires would be up to 80 on the motorway if you weren't careful.

The one thing to take into account with these stories of excessive speed is the accuracy of the speedometer. I have been driving a Metrobus on V duties with the speedo reading 60 on the M54, but still in convoy with others whose speedos were reading the more normal 48mph max for a metrobus.

Tony

Tony

PM

Diamond's fastest buses are the volvo centros or the man centros=particularly 801 and 806

wbdriver

down the newton road the presidents always hit the limiter about 45/46mph, but with a good tailwind the needle goes close to 50mph, but as tony says, the speedometers are not always accurate. the speed traps in west brom bus station are another thing - once i was caught doing 26mph when sitting on a stand with no other buses around.....

i'm sure someone said they got a b6 up to 60mph once...... or was that a dream? ;D
an empty bus is a happy driver.

Ash

Quote from: wbdriver on September 25, 2012, 08:22:52 PM
down the newton road the presidents always hit the limiter about 45/46mph, but with a good tailwind the needle goes close to 50mph, but as tony says, the speedometers are not always accurate. the speed traps in west brom bus station are another thing - once i was caught doing 26mph when sitting on a stand with no other buses around.....

i'm sure someone said they got a b6 up to 60mph once...... or was that a dream? ;D

Down the Newton road which bus tends to be the quickest the mercs or the presidents for reaching the max speed the quickest.

wbdriver

i would say the mercs are quicker due to being lighter and more powerful.
as for deckers, geminis are the quickest followed by the presidents and then the ALX400.
but the geminis and the 400s have no limiter unlike the presidents
so i would say it depends on what bus you have.
an empty bus is a happy driver.

Ash

Quote from: wbdriver on September 25, 2012, 08:33:31 PM
i would say the mercs are quicker due to being lighter and more powerful.
as for deckers, geminis are the quickest followed by the presidents and then the ALX400.
but the geminis and the 400s have no limiter unlike the presidents
so i would say it depends on what bus you have.

Yeah most of the time I travel along the Newton Road its on the 406 from Hamstead and sometikes they can be late due to traffic so normally the mercs can get thrashed out a bit to make up a bit of time unless a b6le turns up then it struggles to get to any sort of speed.

swifty

Quote from: wbdriver on September 25, 2012, 08:22:52 PM

If you pushed the B6 off a cliff then it would just about hit 60mph lol ;D ;D ;D
No I don't go to F**KING SMETHWICK!!!!!!!

Andrew1991

Are u sure it wouldn't breakdown and stop half way, coyote & roadrunner style

Discodave

Bruce_LOA400X

Quote from: Tony on September 23, 2012, 07:41:53 PM
Quote from: windy miller on September 23, 2012, 07:33:56 PM
Did you ever try reaching maximum speed.. (Downhill) then knocking it out of gear? The original speed limiters were governed by the gearbox...I expect modern traction would stop you doing that these days.. :-\ :)

The Metroliners on the London Liner would get up to about 77mph (when the speed limit for coaches was 70) on a very steep downhill, but at 77 the retarder would cut in, so even with those maximum+10% was all that could be achieved.

MCWs biggest mistake was putting the speed limiter fuse in a place where it could be 'got at'.

Can I ask if Metrobuses are subjected to the fuse as well or are gear limited?
Transport campaigner and Avid transport enthusiast

Tony

Quote from: Bruce_LOA400X on September 30, 2012, 04:10:44 PM
Quote from: Tony on September 23, 2012, 07:41:53 PM
Quote from: windy miller on September 23, 2012, 07:33:56 PM
Did you ever try reaching maximum speed.. (Downhill) then knocking it out of gear? The original speed limiters were governed by the gearbox...I expect modern traction would stop you doing that these days.. :-\ :)

The Metroliners on the London Liner would get up to about 77mph (when the speed limit for coaches was 70) on a very steep downhill, but at 77 the retarder would cut in, so even with those maximum+10% was all that could be achieved.

MCWs biggest mistake was putting the speed limiter fuse in a place where it could be 'got at'.

Can I ask if Metrobuses are subjected to the fuse as well or are gear limited?

With Metrobuses it was more a case of the physical limit. They only had 3 speed gearboxes and low ratio rear axles. The Timsavers had a 4 speed gearbox and a different rear axle which allowed them to go faster

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk