News:

Please do have a browse through the forums or use the Search functionality before posting a new topic - chances are there is already a discussion underway on that subject, or your question has already been answered previously!

Main Menu

Small Operators

Started by j_rp_wright, August 17, 2012, 02:07:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Discodave

Quote from: Justin Tyme on August 20, 2012, 09:09:29 PM
Quote from: j_rp_wright on August 17, 2012, 02:07:08 PM
Just wondering the average these companies last, there's a lot of small operators but centro never seem to take them that seriously regarding all this bus reviews. Is there much space to find a gap in the market these days are is there only chance to survive is by competing on major corridors and bus routes.
I don't work in the bus industry, but I expect that Centro consult with all operators in each area.  As the small operators mainly compete head-on with NX, it may well be that they wait to see what NX intend to do and then decide what they themselves will do.
its the only way they can survive if the route is going to be swamped its time to go eslsewhere and not be forced out of business

swifty

Quote from: BU07 LGO on August 19, 2012, 12:36:15 AM
Quote from: Discodave on August 18, 2012, 06:37:31 PM
Quote from: BU07 LGO on August 18, 2012, 12:54:16 AM
I remember Diamond on the 451 for a few weeks a couple of years back then they abandoned it!
Petes did ok on the 451 but let it die with old buses and not responding to NXWM if like the 401 and 2 they stuck at it I think diamond would have inherited a good route the short time i was at petes and used a good bus on it I picked up good loads all day and a bonus (by doing things correctly and by the book it was TWM who were the bad ones cut up by them by agressive behaviour not saying all WB drivers are like that)

I remember the Pete's Travel 451, it used to only go from Sutton to Kingstamnding Circle and my cousin caught it wanting to go to Pheasey and had to walk from Kingstanding!

If i remember right Pete's ran a full service, they also used to do a 452 service which i think went to Falcon Lodge and ran only on Sundays. Midland Rider used to run the 451 from Kingstanding to Sutton.
No I don't go to F**KING SMETHWICK!!!!!!!

Steveminor

The 452 used to run the 451 route from West Brom - Scott Arms with a one way loop along Jayshaw Avenue @ a time the 451 ran from Kingstanding - Sutton C'field. The 452 was withdrawn when the 451 was extended to the full route.
Petes tried the full 451 route twice once using low floors, which were then taken off to be placed on the 97 & then again with Carlyle Darts which were displaced at the end of their first attempt @ the 50.

I would agree with the notion that Centro do tend to ignore smaller operators, In the days of AMPM Centro completely ignored AMPM during the East B'ham/Solihull review, only re-printing the review leaflets to include the fact AMPMs routes were not altering when a complaint was sent in.
There was also the time when NXWM changed the route number of the 14A to 14. AMPM deliberately did not change the number as there was a plan to extend the route to a different destination other than Cwood. Centro removed the 14A numbers from the stop plates & informed AMPM that if they wanted to keep the route as 14A then they would have to pay for the number to be placed at each stop plate along the route, even though it had been on the stops & they had removed it without consideration for any other operators service number other than NXWM.
It is completely disgusting how Centro (who should be unbiased) treat some operators.

sonic84

Quote from: John on August 17, 2012, 05:48:04 PM
Quote from: Badger on August 17, 2012, 05:16:53 PM
Isn't there one in Perry Bar thats been whittled down to one bus and one driver?

Yes, that is Hi Ride on the 40X from One Stop to Bearwood.

http://www.wmbusphotos.com/Hi-Ride/hi_ride_g447lep.html

I was never aware that they done more than 1 route! I only thought they have ever done the 40X.

As far as I know it has only ever done one route too.  Did it not used to be pretty regular service at one point competing with the 123/440...  it seems to have been cut back a fair bit of the years with odd journeys terminating short at Cape Hill. It would be interesting to see how well they do.

vinh1000

Redwing going?

5th May 2013
89 Redwing Birmingham - Londonderry via
Cape Hill
Service withdrawn
Vinny - frequent bus traveller :-)

HELEN - http://mb-web.co.uk/heleninstaller_3.3.msi
Manual:
Mobitec: http://mb-web.co.uk/MIE.zip

fleetline6477

Quote from: BU07 LGO on August 19, 2012, 12:36:15 AM
Quote from: Discodave on August 18, 2012, 06:37:31 PM
Quote from: BU07 LGO on August 18, 2012, 12:54:16 AM
I remember Diamond on the 451 for a few weeks a couple of years back then they abandoned it!
Petes did ok on the 451 but let it die with old buses and not responding to NXWM if like the 401 and 2 they stuck at it I think diamond would have inherited a good route the short time i was at petes and used a good bus on it I picked up good loads all day and a bonus (by doing things correctly and by the book it was TWM who were the bad ones cut up by them by agressive behaviour not saying all WB drivers are like that)

Pete's worked 451 in the following ways

451E Sutton - Kingstanding only with full Sutton - West brom placement journeys for 119 / 451E. There were also 3 placement early evening journeys West Brom - Sutton to get buses from 401/2 to take up evening contract on route 71.

451 West Brom - Sutton ran for a while with route branded Carlyle Darts which eventually became low floor Darts / Tridents.

I remember the Pete's Travel 451, it used to only go from Sutton to Kingstamnding Circle and my cousin caught it wanting to go to Pheasey and had to walk from Kingstanding!

Sh4318

Quote from: vinh1000 on April 24, 2013, 08:38:04 PM
Redwing going?

5th May 2013
Cape Hill
Service withdrawn

Central Logisitics are gaining Redwing's workings
Class 153, 155 and 156. The Super Sprinters
Local Routes: 21, 89, 48/A, 12/A, 54/A
Semi-local routes: 80, 87

Solo1

Aren't redwing & central logisits the same firm some link some where

busfan2847

Quote from: Shaun on April 24, 2013, 09:29:52 PM
Redwing going?

5th May 2013
Cape Hill
Service withdrawn

But from the following weekend?

vinh1000

Quote from: busfan2847 on April 25, 2013, 01:55:46 PM
Redwing going?

5th May 2013
Cape Hill
Service withdrawn

Central Logistics increases frequency
Begs me to wonder are they the same company lol?
Vinny - frequent bus traveller :-)

HELEN - http://mb-web.co.uk/heleninstaller_3.3.msi
Manual:
Mobitec: http://mb-web.co.uk/MIE.zip

nx4737

Quote from: vinh1000 on April 25, 2013, 03:12:01 PM
Quote from: busfan2847 on April 25, 2013, 01:55:46 PM
Redwing going?

5th May 2013
Cape Hill
Service withdrawn

Central Logistics increases frequency
Begs me to wonder are they the same company lol?

I'm sure there is some connection between the two.

Stu

I think they are the same company, on the Network West Midlands website operator list, they both have the same contact telephone number:
http://networkwestmidlands.com/MultimodalOperators/multimodal_operators.aspx

My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

fleetline6477

As I understand it. They are not the same company

Central Logistics was set up to run the 17E / 79E owned by the father, Mr. Sandhu.

A few years later Redwing Contracts was set up by one of his sons to operate the 14E / 16.

They shared a depot in Wednesbury (close to the Metro depot) before moving to a unit in Darlaston / Bilston area. The white Mercedes and the 49 seater coach (now gone) is owned by Redwing Contracts and the green Ivecos are split between the 2 comapnies.

When they had difficulty employing / retaining drivers they came off the above routes and went onto the 88E (a route which Mr. Sandhu had previously driven on regularly for both Thandi and Pete's Travel). When NX changed to the 89 and rerouted around Londonderry both companies followed suit. When emission rules came into force last Summer the 89 was curtailed to the Town Hall.

I don't have any idea why Redwing Contracts is now being wound up.

Sh4318

They're not the same company. But I can't tell the difference between the two, the 88 (now ceased) and 89 run close to me and they've been running on it for about 4 years now, I've never actually been on one, I think they may have a logo determining whether they're Redwing or Central
Class 153, 155 and 156. The Super Sprinters
Local Routes: 21, 89, 48/A, 12/A, 54/A
Semi-local routes: 80, 87

ellspurs

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/midlands-news/city-bus-firm-taking-hundreds-21338036

North Birmingham Travel, whom run minibuses for disabled children to school, have had their contract scrapped and referred to safeguarding officers due to issues with DBS checks.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk