News:

Please do have a browse through the forums or use the Search functionality before posting a new topic - chances are there is already a discussion underway on that subject, or your question has already been answered previously!

Main Menu

Bus Stations in Birmingham

Started by BBS, October 10, 2024, 02:50:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BBS

I've always wondered why there's no bus stations in Birmingham and Solihull County compared to the Black Country who has a bus station in any town, where as places like Solihull, Chelmsley Wood, Yardley Wood Etc.
Local Bus Routes: 4, 4A, A15, A16, 41,1,11A,11C, A9, A12

Ingleboro261F

I've always thought of that too, it's so much more convenient when the bus terminates at one massive bus station as opposed to lots of mini bus stops around the town. That's why I've always like bus stations like WB for example.

Tony

Quote from: BBS on October 10, 2024, 02:50:56 PMI've always wondered why there's no bus stations in Birmingham and Solihull County compared to the Black Country who has a bus station in any town, where as places like Solihull, Chelmsley Wood, Yardley Wood Etc.
Due to History

Birmingham City Transport didn't need bus stations for its routes, whereas Midland Red were a big fan of bus stations as its routes were longer and less frequent, so gave people better waiting and easier interchange.

BBS

QuoteDue to History

Birmingham City Transport didn't need bus stations for its routes, whereas Midland Red were a big fan of bus stations as its routes were longer and less frequent, so gave people better waiting and easier interchange.
I see that, but since NXWM now has the upper hand of the West Midlands, imo there should be some sort of bus stations in places that a lot of routes serve, particularly Solihull & City Centre it self. It's usually a pain when you take for example the 50, and need to catch a route like the 74, or some route on colmore row. 

Tony

Quote from: BBS on October 10, 2024, 03:01:08 PMI see that, but since NXWM now has the upper hand of the West Midlands, imo there should be some sort of bus stations in places that a lot of routes serve, particularly Solihull & City Centre it self. It's usually a pain when you take for example the 50, and need to catch a route like the 74, or some route on colmore row.
Bus stops and bus stations are nothing to do with NXWM

What buildings do you propose knocking down to get a site big enough to build a bus station in Birmingham or Solihull?

BBS

QuoteBus stops and bus stations are nothing to do with NXWM

What buildings do you propose knocking down to get a site big enough to build a bus station in Birmingham or Solihull?
That whole empty section of Bradford Street where the old car parks used to be, that space has been empty for a while. Not sure if anyone's taken it, on terms of Solihull why not develop something that's similar to what's Dudley going for, an interchange for trams and buses, but solihull can combine its train and bus station too using the space it already is using 

Tony

Quote from: BBS on October 10, 2024, 03:29:41 PMThat whole empty section of Bradford Street where the old car parks used to be, that space has been empty for a while. Not sure if anyone's taken it, on terms of Solihull why not develop something that's similar to what's Dudley going for, an interchange for trams and buses, but solihull can combine its train and bus station too using the space it already is using
Bradford Street, are you serious? So passengers from the east of the city don't even get a bus that goes into the city centre proper?

Are you proposing removing all the grass an trees opposite the station? I'd live to see the reaction to a planning application for that.

Jack

Quote from: Tony on October 10, 2024, 03:05:53 PMBus stops and bus stations are nothing to do with NXWM

The grotty Dale End/Albert Street multi-storey would be a shout. How the new tram extension is going there and that monstrosity is staying up.

Tony

Quote from: Jack on October 10, 2024, 04:29:22 PMThe grotty Dale End/Albert Street multi-storey would be a shout. How the new tram extension is going there and that monstrosity is staying up.
That car park is about 1/4 of the size you would need. Think Colmore Row, Moor Street Queensway and The Priory Queens way, and then add all that space into one site

Celestial Toymaker

Quote from: Tony on October 10, 2024, 03:05:53 PMBus stops and bus stations are nothing to do with NXWM

What buildings do you propose knocking down to get a site big enough to build a bus station in Birmingham or Solihull
Solihull Station has always been regarded as a bus interchange plus most solihull buses serve Poplar Rd anyway so all stops are close together anyway
3000 F300 XOF

like 3000 I do not exist anymore........ worth nothing as scrap either
i might also masquerade as a Community Radio DJ from time 2 time

Celestial Toymaker

Quote from: Tony on October 10, 2024, 04:12:35 PMBradford Street, are you serious? So passengers from the east of the city don't even get a bus that goes into the city centre proper?

Are you proposing removing all the grass an trees opposite the station? I'd live to see the reaction to a planning application for that.
why not reopen the bus station on Station St exit on Market St as before but RIGHT Turn only out of the bus station ?
its daft thge way they say take the bus to Birmingham, leave the car behind, but then they are pushing buses further and further out of the City
3000 F300 XOF

like 3000 I do not exist anymore........ worth nothing as scrap either
i might also masquerade as a Community Radio DJ from time 2 time

Tony

Quote from: Celestial Toymaker on October 10, 2024, 06:22:01 PMwhy not reopen the bus station on Station St exit on Market St as before but RIGHT Turn only out of the bus station ?
its daft thge way they say take the bus to Birmingham, leave the car behind, but then they are pushing buses further and further out of the City

How would you reopen that without demolishing the whole new Bullring?

That, even in it's heyday only served about 10% of Birmingham's buses, so you would need about 10 times that amount of land.

Stu

Quote from: BBS on October 10, 2024, 02:50:56 PMI've always wondered why there's no bus stations in Birmingham and Solihull County compared to the Black Country who has a bus station in any town, where as places like Solihull, Chelmsley Wood, Yardley Wood Etc.
Define 'bus station' then.

Although they tend to get called 'interchanges' now :rolleyes: , there's definitely what you would consider 'bus stations' at Solihull station and town centre, Chelmsley Wood shopping centre, Marston Green station, Shirley station, and possibly others.
My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

Ronnoc

Having every route terminate along the old inner ring-road is very easy and convenient. Additionally, a lot of vacant land within the city centre is earmarked for development in the future. 

Tony

Quote from: Ronnoc on October 10, 2024, 07:26:37 PMHaving every route terminate along the old inner ring-road is very easy and convenient. Additionally, a lot of vacant land within the city centre is earmarked for development in the future.
The Priory Queensway, Moor Street (not Queensway) and Colmore Row aren't the old inner ring road

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk