News:

Welcome to the WM Buses in Photos Forum! New and existing members are kindly reminded to respect and abide by the Forum Rules that are in place here.

Main Menu

Ticket price changes 30th June 2024

Started by Rachvince53, June 13, 2024, 11:16:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Busmapper

Quote from: JPC on June 23, 2024, 12:11:09 PMBut for this fare revision from next week all the nBus tickets will NO LONGER be valid on NX Buses outside the nBus zone, hence the introduction of the Outer zones ticket.
It does make sense that a regular weekly or monthly nbus ticket would be refused when boarding outside the nbus zone.

Westy

Quote from: Busmapper on June 23, 2024, 10:46:44 PMIt does make sense that a regular weekly or monthly nbus ticket would be refused when boarding outside the nbus zone.
Think the point is, if you're coming from the Nbus zone into outside the Nbus zone, eg going Walsall to Lichfield, then coming back from Lichfield to Walsall, outer zone to in the zone, but still using the Nbus ticket issued inside the zone, is the main issue here.

Refer to my comment on the other thread, but basically currently drivers can issue an Nbus, but tell passengers going outside the zone, it can only be used on Nx buses, so you can catch the 8 to Lichfield, but not the 36, as thats operated by Chaserider.

Incidently, anyone who's had an Nbus issued from anyone but Nx, have you tried using your ticket from the other operator on Nx outside the Nbus area?

Are eyebrows raised by the Nx driver?

karl724223

Driving the pn 9 this morning woman asked mdd we for a daysaver extra she told me she needed it to go to Worcester on the diamond bus 
I told her that that ticket was only valid on nx buses outside tfwm land and nx buses don't go to Worcester 

Stu

Quote from: Stu on June 23, 2024, 03:49:44 PMI'm curious to see what will happen with my DD pass, so I'm planning on trying both days next weekend as a comparison.

I recently contacted NX Bus as I started having issues having my monthly DD pass accepted on other operators' services.

Long and short of it, they issued a replacement card, then after I called them up as requested to, they simply 'added' the nBus monthly ticket onto my card.
https://wmbu.org.uk/2024/05/problems-using-your-nx-direct-debit-regional-travelcard-on-other-services/

So my 'new' NX Swift card has two products on it now:

I'll just do a trip out to Cannock or Bromsgrove on both days, and see what happens when I use my pass for the return journey!

OK, so the first part of my 'experiment' is completed, I took a trip up to Lichfield on the X3 this afternoon, and my pass was validated correctly on the return journey. Which I predicted would be the case, I have after all previously travelled on NX Bus services outside the TfWM area with no problems using the same 'Regional Travelcard' product.

(I can also confirm that the nBus portion of my pass was validated correctly on Stagecoach's 169 service!)

Tomorrow, I'm planning on a jaunt to either Cannock or Bromsgrove. If I'm reading what has been written about the NX Outer Zones ticket correctly, I am expecting my pass to NOT be validated on the return journey any more. (In which case I will gladly buy a £2 single to get back)
My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

Stu

Quote from: Stu on June 29, 2024, 08:09:24 PMTomorrow, I'm planning on a jaunt to either Cannock or Bromsgrove. If I'm reading what has been written about the NX Outer Zones ticket correctly, I am expecting my pass to NOT be validated on the return journey any more. (In which case I will gladly buy a £2 single to get back)
OK, so I decided to head to Bromsgrove on the 20 this afternoon. Pass was validated correctly on the return journey back.

Which the more I thought about it, I knew would be the case.

You cannot view this attachment.

So my Direct Debit regional pass allows travel on all NX Bus services, as well as other operators' services within the nBus zone.

Surely then, if you live in Cannock, Bromsgrove, Lichfield etc, and regularly commute into the West Midlands (and back again) on NX Buses, you just buy a week/month pass direct from NX Bus and have it loaded on a Swift card. In which case there's no need to pay more for an Outer Zones pass, which limits you to use of NX Bus services only.
(unless the Outer Zones pass is also then valid on other operators' services within the nBus zone only)

I get that NX can't issue nBus tickets outside the nBus zone if bought onboard, so there would be a need to sell these Outer Zone day tickets outside the nBus area, pretty much the same as what Arriva, Diamond or Stagecoach would do.

I just can't see the need for the week/month Outer Zone tickets.
My locals:

JPC

Quote from: Stu on June 30, 2024, 05:10:28 PMOK, so I decided to head to Bromsgrove on the 20 this afternoon. Pass was validated correctly on the return journey back.

Which the more I thought about it, I knew would be the case.

So my Direct Debit regional pass allows travel on all NX Bus services, as well as other operators' services within the nBus zone.

It could be a possibility your DD pass remains valid outside the nBus zone up until the 4th July, the day before your ticket 'renews' on the monthly anniversary of the start date as seen in your earlier screenshot.

Stu

Quote from: JPC on June 30, 2024, 05:51:15 PMIt could be a possibility your DD pass remains valid outside the nBus zone up until the 4th July, the day before your ticket 'renews' on the monthly anniversary of the start date as seen in your earlier screenshot.
That's possible, but then again my DD pass shows as valid until 'December 2034' so I doubt it.

But again, as it clearly states on the NX Bus website, it is valid on all operators' services within the nBus zone and on ALL NX Bus services, including those that go outside the nBus area.
My locals:

the trainbasher

Well, it turns out that the Uber version of the NXWM daysaver is... the Outer Zones version (as that's gone up to a fiver).

All opinions and onions mentioned on here are mine and not those of any employer, current, past, present or future, or presented as fact, unless I prove it otherwise.

JPC

Quote from: Stu on June 30, 2024, 06:28:35 PMThat's possible, but then again my DD pass shows as valid until 'December 2034' so I doubt it.

But again, as it clearly states on the NX Bus website, it is valid on all operators' services within the nBus zone and on ALL NX Bus services, including those that go outside the nBus area.

End date is irrelevant, NX ticket machines should be smart enough to stop accepting DD nBus tickets outside the zone starting from the monthly anniversary of the start date on the smartcard.
The information for the nBus ticket (screenshot) requires update, the ticket changes page indicates the £59 DD is now valid within the nBus zone only.

Westy

Funny this question is never asked in the section 'Top questions our customers are asking us' , bearing in mind it's been discussed in the likes of this place?

I might have a wander to Cannock in a couple of weeks myself & see whats what, as I've still got this week at the old price & the pass itself to renew for next Monday.

Stu

OK, a further update since as a Direct Debit subscriber I had the below email from NX Bus yesterday:

Now what I wonder is where I stand, as my Swift card has both an nBus monthly ticket AND a NX Regional Travelcard loaded on it. :rolleyes:

I guess I should try travelling back from Bromsgrove, Cannock or Lichfield next month and see what happens! :laugh:

It would be interesting to learn what product was loaded on to the Swift card of any new NX direct debit subscribers since July last year.

The thing with the NX Outer Zone ticket is that I probably wouldn't mind paying the extra £2 a month that it costs, if it was also valid on other operators' services in the nBus area, as well as on NX Bus services that go outside it.

My locals:

Westy

If thats the case, they'd better make sure there's no confusion, else there will be a few arguments when buying tickets in future.

Make sure there's notices on every bus for starters!

Westy

Can we now confirm certain scenarios now?

A few examples from me, holding an Nbus Regional Monthly pass.

Bloxwich to Cannock on the X51 - Pass not valid! Pay on the bus. (Nx Outer Zone ticket valid)

Bloxwich to Lichfield via Walsall - Nbus pass to Walsall, then either pay £2 or buy Outer Zone, or pay Outer Zone from Bloxwich, but you can only catch NX buses between Bloxwich & Walsall, not Diamond.

Bloxwich to Bromsgrove - Get an Outer Zone on the X51(No advantage using Nbus to the South Birmingham/West Midlands County boundary!) Cheaper than the train, but journey longer? You have to weigh up pros & cons on that one!

Bloxwich to Tamworth - Nbus to Sutton, then pay Arriva Sutton to Tamworth. (Last time I did Tamworth, with my sister, it was the period where Arriva were running Cannock to Walsall, Walsall to Lichfield, which then interworked with a Lichfield to Tamworth service using the same bus, so we were able to have an Arriva day ticket, all the way, but obviously that option is no longer available, so I suppose via Sutton is my cheapest option now?)

Am I correct with all these?

Justin Tyme

Quote from: Westy on July 22, 2024, 10:29:19 PMCan we now confirm certain scenarios now?

A few examples from me, holding an Nbus Regional Monthly pass.

Bloxwich to Cannock on the X51 - Pass not valid! Pay on the bus. (Nx Outer Zone ticket valid)

Bloxwich to Lichfield via Walsall - Nbus pass to Walsall, then either pay £2 or buy Outer Zone, or pay Outer Zone from Bloxwich, but you can only catch NX buses between Bloxwich & Walsall, not Diamond.

Bloxwich to Bromsgrove - Get an Outer Zone on the X51(No advantage using Nbus to the South Birmingham/West Midlands County boundary!) Cheaper than the train, but journey longer? You have to weigh up pros & cons on that one!

Bloxwich to Tamworth - Nbus to Sutton, then pay Arriva Sutton to Tamworth. (Last time I did Tamworth, with my sister, it was the period where Arriva were running Cannock to Walsall, Walsall to Lichfield, which then interworked with a Lichfield to Tamworth service using the same bus, so we were able to have an Arriva day ticket, all the way, but obviously that option is no longer available, so I suppose via Sutton is my cheapest option now?)

Am I correct with all these?

While there are still £2 fares, I reckon the cheapest option is to use those for the final bus - and to make life easier I would suggest paying the £2 at the start of that journey rather than "rebooking" at the boundary.

So, I would suggest:-

Bloxwich to Lichfield via Walsall - nBus to Walsall, then pay £2 on Chaserider 36/36A to Lichfield.

Bloxwich to Bromsgrove - nBus to Q E Hospital or Selly Oak/Northfield, then pay £2 on NXWM 20 to Bromsgrove.

Bloxwich to Tamworth - as you say: nBus to Sutton, then pay £2 on Arriva 110 to Tamworth.  It would cost £4 each way (2 x £2) if you travelled via Lichfield.

Happy travelling if you do!

Westy

Quote from: Justin Tyme on July 23, 2024, 09:18:44 PMWhile there are still £2 fares, I reckon the cheapest option is to use those for the final bus - and to make life easier I would suggest paying the £2 at the start of that journey rather than "rebooking" at the boundary.

So, I would suggest:-

Bloxwich to Lichfield via Walsall - nBus to Walsall, then pay £2 on Chaserider 36/36A to Lichfield.

Bloxwich to Bromsgrove - nBus to Q E Hospital or Selly Oak/Northfield, then pay £2 on NXWM 20 to Bromsgrove.

Bloxwich to Tamworth - as you say: nBus to Sutton, then pay £2 on Arriva 110 to Tamworth.  It would cost £4 each way (2 x £2) if you travelled via Lichfield.

Happy travelling if you do!
Must admit, I didn't consider paying the £2 on the final journey & it was so obvious!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk