News:

Welcome to the WM Buses in Photos Forum! New and existing members are kindly reminded to respect and abide by the Forum Rules that are in place here.

Main Menu

Bus stop design downgrade?

Started by Sandy Lane, January 16, 2024, 11:46:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sandy Lane

An unusual question about down grading bus stop infrastructure in the TfWM zone.

The simplest design is simply a flag on a post and no shelter.
Cheapest solution and proven. OK but when the weather turns nasty not good and no seats.

UPGRADING
If residents want a shelter there is guidance on the TfWM site. Fine, no problem with the process. There is also a cost.

DOWNGRADING and this is the question -
Probably an unusual situation but are there ever cases of bus shelters being taken away and replaced with just a simple flag on a post?  What could be the reason for a down grade?

It would give a cost saving but no weather protection, no seats, no RTI (if fitted), etc. The locals wouldn't be happy though. I guess there would be discussion with the bus operator, the locals and the council on this?

BlackCountryBusSpotter

Quote from: Sandy Lane on January 16, 2024, 11:46:11 AMAn unusual question about down grading bus stop infrastructure in the TfWM zone.

Cheapest solution and proven. OK but when the weather turns nasty not good and no seats.

UPGRADING
If residents want a shelter there is guidance on the TfWM site. Fine, no problem with the process. There is also a cost.

Probably an unusual situation but are there ever cases of bus shelters being taken away and replaced with just a simple flag on a post?  What could be the reason for a down grade?

It would give a cost saving but no weather protection, no seats, no RTI (if fitted), etc. The locals wouldn't be happy though. I guess there would discussion with the bus operator, the locals and the council on this?

Looking on Google Street View 10 plus years ago Hall Street East Rough Hay Road was a bus shelter now it is a stick. Probably now as only two services serve it the 34 and 310 
Local Routes
NXWM 34, 37, 39, 79
DIA 310
WCT 65
Bit Further Away
NXWM 529, 25, 41, 11, 11A, 40, 47
DIA 326, 57, 23, 41A,
Frequently Travelled On Routes
79, 34/37, 39 and Very Occasionally the 529 and 74

Lukeee

Quote from: Sandy Lane on January 16, 2024, 11:46:11 AMAn unusual question about down grading bus stop infrastructure in the TfWM zone.

UPGRADING

It would give a cost saving but no weather protection, no seats, no RTI (if fitted), etc. The locals wouldn't be happy though. I guess there would be discussion with the bus operator, the locals and the council on this?

The 5 bus stop at the King's Road in kingstanding (near the junction with finchley Road) used to have a shelter and now just a pole. Not sure of the reason why but could be down to antisocial behaviour as groups of kids would hang around in the bus stops on the evenings. 

Rachvince53

UPGRADING

In Mount Road Penn a bus shelter was installed at the request of passengers on the corner of Muchall Road. However a short time afterwards the route of the main bus service, the 64 then operated by Diamond, was reversed meaning the shelter is only used by the school service 751 with passengers for the 64 having to wait in the open.

Jack

Quote from: Lukeee on January 16, 2024, 12:43:00 PMThe 5 bus stop at the King's Road in kingstanding (near the junction with finchley Road) used to have a shelter and now just a pole. Not sure of the reason why but could be down to antisocial behaviour as groups of kids would hang around in the bus stops on the evenings.
Both sides had there shelter removed because of the ASB that happens there.

BlackCountryBusSpotter

I suppose you could call it a Downgrade Darlaston Bus Station the stand where the buses go to Willenhall and Bilston Stand DA used to be a proper shelter, Seats and 4 closed sides as it pointed to the road. Now it is open at the Front and faces the road due to one of them Mega Ads they fitted. This means the Wind and Rain gets in. Also the 79 stop I think on the Wellington Road after Prouds Lane had a similar thing done. 
Local Routes
NXWM 34, 37, 39, 79
DIA 310
WCT 65
Bit Further Away
DIA 326, 57, 23, 41A,

Westy

As far as I know, as I havent been that way for a few weeks, there's still 2 unused shelters on Green Lane between Beechdale turn off & Leamore.

Stu

Quote from: Sandy Lane on January 16, 2024, 11:46:11 AMUPGRADING

For UPGRADING, yes there is a cost involved in having a shelter installed, hence why TfWM have stringent conditions in place for requesting one.

For DOWNGRADING, that's slightly different. There is of course a cost involved which covers the works involved in removal of an existing shelter and replacing it with a pole.

It is cheaper to just leave an existing shelter in place and pay to have it cleaned and maintained every so often.

It's probably quite rare that a local authority would pay good money to remove a bus shelter, even if it wasn't being used by any active bus services. Unless of course there were a large number of complaints about anti-social behaviour.
My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

Tony

Quote from: Stu on January 16, 2024, 07:48:23 PMFor UPGRADING, yes there is a cost involved in having a shelter installed, hence why TfWM have stringent conditions in place for requesting one.

For DOWNGRADING, that's slightly different. There is of course a cost involved which covers the works involved in removal of an existing shelter and replacing it with a pole.

It is cheaper to just leave an existing shelter in place and pay to have it cleaned and maintained every so often.

It's probably quite rare that a local authority would pay good money to remove a bus shelter, even if it wasn't being used by any active bus services. Unless of course there were a large number of complaints about anti-social behaviour.
Sometimes a downgrading can be because of antisocial behaviour in the shelter, another reason can be if the shelter obstructs to much of the pavement for the largest wheelchair to get past.

LR55LTR

Quote from: Tony on January 16, 2024, 08:01:50 PMSometimes a downgrading can be because of antisocial behaviour in the shelter, another reason can be if the shelter obstructs to much of the pavement for the largest wheelchair to get past.
I wonder if the Pensnett Road bus stop by Londis in Holly Hall might be downgraded after being wiped out by a BMW. It felt overpowering when waiting for a bus with the old clue and orange branding it had and it seems like the current flag and pole stop is making it easier for bus drivers to pick up and drop off due to the cars that like to park so close. Though it wouldn't surprise me if a new shelter was put up in its place as a like for like replacement. I personally would prefer a flag and pole given the limited space on the footpath as well. I guess we will find out when TfWM arranges a replacement

BlackCountryBusSpotter

I would say Walsall Bradford Place is a downgrade. The old bus station was fully sheltered and most of the services served it. Now the new one has an open facade that faces the Greggs but also leaves you exposed to the wind and rain and cold. Also busy services like the Darlaston Corridor or 4's the Passengers waiting get in the way of the main street twoards the Market and the Sadlers and not everyone can get under the shelter. It is slightly better now there is an empty stand where the Thandi services used to stop that the NX 34/37/39 I have seen load from if the main stand is block and the Passengers can wait there same for the 4. But compared to the old bus station being fully sheltered it is a bit of a downgrade
Local Routes
NXWM 34, 37, 39, 79
DIA 310
WCT 65
Bit Further Away
DIA 326, 57, 23, 41A,

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk