News:

Reminder to all members: please keep thread discussions 'on-topic' - this is a structured discussion forum, not a general 'group chat'!

Main Menu

If you could bring back any old route what would it be and why?

Started by hlliwmai, October 09, 2023, 12:33:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Justin Tyme

Quote from: 2900 on October 18, 2023, 02:28:13 PMFor me bring the old service numbers back, it was logical to me any way,
0 to 199 to city,  200s Brierley hill services, 300s Walsall , 400s West Bromwich , 500s Wolverhampton  think i have got that right , i forget what 600s were for, odds and sods maybe  :smiley:
Yes, it was a logical system.  It was broadly based on Metropolitan districts:-
1-199 Birmingham and Solihull 
200s Dudley
300s Walsall 
400s Sandwell 
500s Wolverhampton 
600s North Division works services
700s North Division schools services 
800-849 South Division works services
850-899 South Division schools services
900s Limited Stop services 

This applied only to services operated by WMPTE, and it took several years to be fully implemented.

For information, WMPTE South Division covered Birmingham and Solihull, while the North Division covered the Black Country. 

Rachvince53

As only one main service (159) ran from the Birmingham and Black Country conurbation to the East Division,  it was decided that Coventry would retain for the most part it's existing service number system. 

Coventrybususer95

All views are my own and does not represent the views of any company/ business that i maybe be working with

markcf83

Don't judge me until you've walked in my size ten shoes.

Rachvince53

Quote from: Coventrybususer95 on October 19, 2023, 12:21:07 PMThe 360 in Coventry would be amazing
Timekeeping was a problem which I think was in part while it didn't last very long. 

Liam Pettit

Came in here to ask if anyone knew what route did the 68 A/C take. Something like ?...Sutton, Erdington, Kingstanding, Fort, Castle vale etc? circular services sound useful regardless would like to see something like that.

Quote from: Liam Pettit on October 19, 2023, 05:46:37 PMCame in here to ask if anyone knew what route did the 68 A/C take. Something like ?...Sutton, Erdington, Kingstanding, Fort, Castle vale etc? circular services sound useful regardless would like to see something like that.
96 route Spitfire Island to Finchley Road, WB 5 route to Sutton, 71 route to Spitfire Island.
Local Routes
94/95, 11A/11C, 28.

jasmine

Quote from: Jack on October 09, 2023, 11:11:28 PMThe 46 (West Brom to Scott Arms) shouldn't have gone to start with, was always carrying people and now Great Barr and Hamstead have to deal with the mess that is the 16/16A. The 46 was very good at keeping to time as well, loads of frustrated people here are still not happy with the new service.

I'd love for the old 54 (Birmingham to Kingshurst) to come back purely as a nostalgia for me as I caught it a lot and always enjoyed the terminus as a very nice place to wait for a bus as a child. Also to have the 55 be the 55 as it always has been, not the '95'. Also note Washwood Heath Road used to have more than 2 services struggling along it and it flowed a lot easier with there being more services.
I feel you very much with this, I miss the 46 so so much, and everyone who lives in Hamstead/Great Barr hate the seemingly uncoordinated mess that the NX16 and DIA16A is, it literally always carried people and was rarely empty, really shouldn't have gone in the first place and for NX/DIA to claim the new routes would fix everything is so out of taste when the entirety of Old Walsall Road are now bus-less unless they want to catch a 61 which is HOURLY and that if they want to go from West Bromwich to Scott Arms via Hamstead they HAVE to catch two busses.
16/16A "enjoyer"

Quote from: markcf83 on October 19, 2023, 03:06:00 PMThe ex Connex London ones.
Forgot about the ALX200s from Travel London, i recall WB did the refurbs they looked decent when completed , defo improvement on the ALX100s , amazing what one forgets, front axle felt detached not pleasant at all

Wumpty

Quote from: 2900 on October 20, 2023, 01:20:14 PMForgot about the ALX200s from Travel London, i recall WB did the refurbs they looked decent when completed , defo improvement on the ALX100s , amazing what one forgets, front axle felt detached not pleasant at all
London gifted the TWM fleet with ALX200 darts, Optare Solos and the short wheelbase Optare Excels too.
Autofare 3 - the ticket that laughs in the face of contactless!

hlliwmai

Quote from: Coventrybususer95 on October 19, 2023, 12:21:07 PMThe 360 in Coventry would be amazing

Ahh yes which latterly became the 60 & 61 with Travel de Courcey 

markcf83

Quote from: 2900 on October 20, 2023, 01:20:14 PMForgot about the ALX200s from Travel London, i recall WB did the refurbs they looked decent when completed , defo improvement on the ALX100s , amazing what one forgets, front axle felt detached not pleasant at all
They were thrashed to death in South London on the 322. 
Don't judge me until you've walked in my size ten shoes.

frostjay974

The old 46 (both ends) Londonderry - Great Barr/Queslett as it provided a quick and direct link for passengers travelling to West Bromwich and Sandwell Hospital.

Rachvince53

Quote from: Wumpty on October 20, 2023, 01:41:17 PMLondon gifted the TWM fleet with ALX200 darts, Optare Solos and the short wheelbase Optare Excels too.
I remember the short Excels as they were based at my local Wolverhampton garage. They were numbered 401- 430 (with gaps) I think. Wolverhampton also had the longer length examples as well which were new to WMT. 

Jack

Quote from: frostjay974 on October 27, 2023, 07:48:09 PMThe old 46 (both ends) Londonderry - Great Barr/Queslett as it provided a quick and direct link for passengers travelling to West Bromwich and Sandwell Hospital.
When it went to Londonderry and Queslett/Pheasey that buggered the reliability. The traditional route was a very well used and handy link and considering it ran for decades and then they've decided to do what they did and is a joke really.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk