News:

Reminder to all members: please keep thread discussions 'on-topic' - this is a structured discussion forum, not a general 'group chat'!

Main Menu

FirstGroup agrees to buy Ensign Bus Company Limited

Started by Wumpty, February 08, 2023, 08:48:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wumpty

FirstGroup plc has announced that it has signed an agreement to buy Ensign Bus Company:

https://www.linkedin.com/posts/coach-and-bus-week-limited_breaking-news-firstgroup-plc-has-today-announced-activity-7028992296645730305-Qn_v?utm_source=share&utm_medium=member_desktop

NB: The Ensignbus heritage fleet is excluded from this transaction.
Autofare 3 - the ticket that laughs in the face of contactless!

the trainbasher

Tbh I wouldn't be surprised if we see more independents selling up to the groups over the next 12 months

All opinions and onions mentioned on here are mine and not those of any employer, current, past, present or future, or presented as fact, unless I prove it otherwise.

Rachvince53

I agree. Given declining passenger numbers which in my view the lock down accelerated, I think more small companies will either close or sell out. 

winston

I'm surprised First Group are buying the Ensign Bus Sales part & large Purfleet depot too, would have expected them to be more interested in just buying Ensign's Bus operations and move the fleet & routes into existing First Essex depots or re-locate to a smaller depot near Grays / Purfleet etc.

That said, First Group have been taking a number of midlife ex London E400's & B9TL Gemini's for Essex, FSY, FWY, Buses in Somerset, Kernow etc recently.

the trainbasher

QuoteI'm surprised First Group are buying the Ensign Bus Sales part & large Purfleet depot too, would have expected them to be more interested in just buying Ensign's Bus operations and move the fleet & routes into existing First Essex depots or re-locate to a smaller depot near Grays / Purfleet etc.

That said, First Group have been taking a number of midlife ex London E400's & B9TL Gemini's for Essex, FSY, FWY, Buses in Somerset, Kernow etc recently.
I think the purchase of the bus sales part is logical to be fair, especially with the second hand purchases, plus it gives them an in house operation similar to Hants and Dorset trim, meaning they could sell their services to other operators 

All opinions and onions mentioned on here are mine and not those of any employer, current, past, present or future, or presented as fact, unless I prove it otherwise.

winston

Quote from: the trainbasher on February 08, 2023, 01:50:23 PMI think the purchase of the bus sales part is logical to be fair, especially with the second hand purchases, plus it gives them an in house operation similar to Hants and Dorset trim, meaning they could sell their services to other operators 
They've had an in-house commercial refurbishment unit before based at FSY Rotherham, that was shutdown as part of FSY cost cutting measures.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk