News:

Welcome to the WM Buses in Photos Forum! New and existing members are kindly reminded to respect and abide by the Forum Rules that are in place here.

Main Menu

Optare Solo - The Marmite Bus

Started by Wumpty, January 24, 2023, 08:42:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wumpty

The Optare Solo appears to have gained somewhat of a bad press in some threads (notably Chaserider and Diamond), with much criticism levied at their reliability, are they as bad as people make them out to be?

I've driven two Solos in my time and found them to be a very reliable and versatile bus - granted, neither were in service or given a hard time, but reliable for a long distance drive.

From a driving position, they had good all-round visibility save for the front pillars against the huge windscreen and they held motorway speeds very well. The one thing I didn't like were the ZX81-esque touch button controls that were well worn and had to press very hard on some to get any output.

From a passengers perspective, I've ridden on many and were a comfortable and functional ride for what they are.

Chaserider have a row of failed/ageing Solos lined up at Cannock, but only replicates the scenes at Choice with the ubiquitous Leyland Nationals that adorned most fleets.

So, what's your thoughts? Have you driven them, have you ridden on them?
Autofare 3 - the ticket that laughs in the face of contactless!

B61 ANDREW

Only as a passenger , but no real complaints to be fair.  The newer version [SR] tends to have a smoother ride but still 'rolls' a bit on corners like the earlier models. 

MW

Quote from: Wumpty on January 24, 2023, 08:42:49 AMThe Optare Solo appears to have gained somewhat of a bad press in some threads (notably Chaserider and Diamond), with much criticism levied at their reliability, are they as bad as people make them out to be?

I've driven two Solos in my time and found them to be a very reliable and versatile bus - granted, neither were in service or given a hard time, but reliable for a long distance drive.

From a driving position, they had good all-round visibility save for the front pillars against the huge windscreen and they held motorway speeds very well. The one thing I didn't like were the ZX81-esque touch button controls that were well worn and had to press very hard on some to get any output.

From a passengers perspective, I've ridden on many and were a comfortable and functional ride for what they are.

Chaserider have a row of failed/ageing Solos lined up at Cannock, but only replicates the scenes at Choice with the ubiquitous Leyland Nationals that adorned most fleets.

So, what's your thoughts? Have you driven them, have you ridden on them?

The one thing that I hate about Optares is the the lack of space in the cab for your left leg, compared to say every Wright bus I've driven where you can stretch your left leg. 

They're good on fuel hence the popularity. 

They also tend to have very good heating for driver and passengers.

Overall though I'd rather drive a Streetlite/E200MMC for 5.5 hours than any Optare.

Rachvince53

I've had the pleasure of travelling on every type of Solo (except the two door variety) from max length to Slimline with a variety of operators including Arriva, Diamond and what use to be Local Link in Torquay. Compared with the Mellors which Diamond uses around the region, I much prefer the Solo. In the main the Solo has more legroom for passengers. The only Solo I'm not keen on is the Slimline which seems too cramped for my liking. 
As for reliability every bus can be made reliable if properly maintained but unfortunately that's not always the case.

Westy

2 door Solos ?

Is there a picture anywhere?

I'm intrigued!

As for 'normal' everyday Solos, not bad, especially over the speed humps in Dudleys Fields, compared to a Mellor!

Tony

Quote2 door Solos ?

Yes, On the main site
 CT Plus OS22 (wmbusphotos.com)

MW

Quote from: Westy on January 24, 2023, 05:28:25 PM2 door Solos ?

I'm intrigued!

As for 'normal' everyday Solos, not bad, especially over the speed humps in Dudleys Fields, compared to a Mellor!

The Mellor being uncomfortable down to speed bumps will be because of the suspension set up. They can be opted with rear air suspension; at least the larger ones (Ultra or Plus?) can be.

j789

I always like driving the Solo. My favourite with first was 53044 which was a nippy beast despite being the highest mileage example in Worcester's fleet. When the turbos worked probably, they were some of the best buses to drive along with the Lances.

Over the years, I did a few (mostly evening) 144s to Brum in a Solo and they were fine running over the 55 mile round trip. Comfortable, nippy and with good heating I didn't mind a longer shift in one. I also liked metroriders though which have an even worse press than the Solo. 

The cab wasn't the best though, little room for your driver's bag and having assault screens fitted made them quite claustrophobic. The front wheels also weren't the best, bouncing off kerbs as you pulled into a bus stop early in your shift after you'd previously been in another bus type with a proper overhang!

Lukeee

I've found them OK to drive, it's just the cab I've always found it a bit cramped. My main problem with them is the front wheels been infront of the passenger doors. This gives you no overhang which makes certain bus stations and bus stops a bit of a nightmare. 

Rachvince53

Quote from: Lukeee on January 24, 2023, 07:36:30 PMI've found them OK to drive, it's just the cab I've always found it a bit cramped. My main problem with them is the front wheels been infront of the passenger doors. This gives you no overhang which makes certain bus stations and bus stops a bit of a nightmare.
The WF Streetlites have the same problem. 

MW

Quote from: Rachvince53 on January 25, 2023, 03:08:36 PMThe WF Streetlites have the same problem.

The WF Streetlites have a much bigger cab, although high up. 

Rachvince53

Quote from: MW on January 25, 2023, 04:39:07 PMThe WF Streetlites have a much bigger cab, although high up.
I meant the awkward situation at some bus stops/stands but I'm glad the drivers cab is better. 

markcf83

Been on plenty of them. If the road condition is decent or good,the ride quality is very good. But it depends on how they have been maintained.  
Don't judge me until you've walked in my size ten shoes.

Sandy Lane

Diamond used 2 hybrid optares on the X30 in Coventry - I think possibly to win the route contract and use 'green environment' transport when the service was first started ?
They were always breaking down.

Lukeee

Quote from: Sandy Lane on January 26, 2023, 09:32:54 PMDiamond used 2 hybrid optares on the X30 in Coventry - I think possibly to win the route contract and use 'green environment' transport when the service was first started ?
They were always breaking down.
Believe these were versas and not solos

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk