News:

Reminder to all members: please keep thread discussions 'on-topic' - this is a structured discussion forum, not a general 'group chat'!

Main Menu

Strike Action

Started by monkeyjoe, December 14, 2022, 01:23:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike K

Quote from: 2900 on January 21, 2023, 09:59:39 AMi personally just for hell of it want to experience a strike a picket line etc something i can tick off me bucket list. 
If you're going to do it do it properly. Donkey jacket with PVC panels, fire lit inside a big metal oil drum, hand-held placards, the works.

the trainbasher

QuoteIf you're going to do it do it properly. Donkey jacket with PVC panels, fire lit inside a big metal oil drum, hand-held placards, the works.
Brings back memories of the fire brigade strikes - i remenber seeing them when i was younger.

:smiley:

All opinions and onions mentioned on here are mine and not those of any employer, current, past, present or future, or presented as fact, unless I prove it otherwise.

PB50

Rumour going round first week in February when strike action will take place. Anyone else heard that?

Stu

Quote from: PB50 on January 21, 2023, 07:03:17 PMRumour going round first week in February when strike action will take place. Anyone else heard that?
Seems a bit too soon, I thought the unions had to give some good advance notice of strike action?
My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

Steveminor

14 days notice is required that industrial action will take place and the duration.

Therefore beginning of February is plausible.

monkeyjoe

If they deliberately target same days as trains suspect public sympathy with diminish 

metrocity

Quote from: monkeyjoe on January 21, 2023, 08:14:13 PMIf they deliberately target same days as trains suspect public sympathy with diminish
There is no guarantee any strike will have an impact on service delivery

Isle of Stroma

QuoteIf they deliberately target same days as trains suspect public sympathy with diminish

Speak for yourself there. There is (much) blame to be laid, but not at the workers feet.

Ginger66

Quote from: Isle of Stroma on January 22, 2023, 01:14:36 AMSpeak for yourself there. There is (much) blame to be laid, but not at the workers feet.
Management is partially to blame, if you look at automonus delivery.

Look at supermarkets getting rid of checkouts forcing customers to scan there own shopping thus taking people's jobs, the same with banks the more of us do online banking this will force banks to close.

If we taking automonus delivery in the public transport sector, with the rise of e-ticket/mobile tickets we have already seen it with NX who closed there travel shops, and we know Mike Lynch does not want's this not to happen on the railway.  With the rise of contactless payments it will only be time before NXWM will need less people counting the cash vaults doing the booking keeping at the end of each day.

Strikes can be good but it has an impact on other sectors such as when the strikes happened before Christmas it had an effect on the hospitality sector who are try to recover from COVID.

Not all sectors have recovered from the pandemic.  Bosses need to be honest and say this is what we can afford to offer in terms of a pay rise.   

Kevin_Brum12

Quote from: 979 on January 15, 2023, 08:08:30 PMhttps://www.expressandstar.com/news/transport/2023/01/15/national-express-bus-drivers-strike-vote-almost-unanimous-after-pay-offer-rejected/
When will the strike ballot close? 

For those dependent on buses to get around, especially those relying on them to get to and from work or education, it would be useful to know when the ballot closes and when the first industrial action is likely to be, so they can plan ahead and start putting in place alternatives like lifts to work if need be.

PB50

So on the express and Star site today it says they going to ballot for strike action next week so probably later on in the month the strikes will start to happen if they agree to it.

Ginger66

The article says NX made xxxx amount profit and they have the money to do pay rises

But surely the profits reflect the whole NX group and each division/company i.e. Rhine-Munster Express would be given a budget for ie 2023/24 for new vehicles and wages ect.    

Kevin_Brum12

The ballot for strike action will open on February 8 and closes on March 1. Any strikes would be likely to begin later in March. (According to Birmingham Live/Mail)

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/midlands-news/more-3000-national-express-west-26127358

Ginger66

Quote from: Ginger66 on February 01, 2023, 12:23:31 PMThe article says NX made xxxx amount profit and they have the money to do pay rises

But surely the profits reflect the whole NX group and each division/company i.e. Rhine-Munster Express would be given a budget for ie 2023/24 for new vehicles and wages ect.   

Therefore WMT would be given a set amount like the other companies under NX Group umbrella WMT could ask the parent company for extra if needed but the big bosses could say (1) yes, (2) no, (3) put fare up to cover cost, (4) reduce workforce

NXWM only have themselves to blame its years of pent up frustration coming to the surface, lack of restrooms, ever worsening duties, WB garage duties took a massive nose dive in mid noughties when our paid breaks were signed away by incompetent union chairpersons, the members were't even consulted. 
i personally would take being paid the compass at £14.40 and time quarter overtime rate. 
If NXWM agreed to pay the compass i bet splits would disappear and the breaks would be around the 40 minute mark.
From Nov 23 the basic week will shorten again to 35 hrs 30 minimum, i,ve seen the new draft duties based on new 36 hr 15 week they look no different to 7.36 duties, like i say the number boffins to clever.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk