News:

Reminder to all members: please keep thread discussions 'on-topic' - this is a structured discussion forum, not a general 'group chat'!

Main Menu

Bus Services axed/changed from 1st January 2023

Started by 2206, October 11, 2022, 07:25:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Westy

Sounds like the sort of route I would've used when I was working at Great Bridge, to avoid West Bromwich Town Centre, to link up with the 4 group at Stone Cross, if I hadn't been catching the 11 / 11a back to Walsall!

(Similar sort of thing now I do with the 326 back to Bloxwich from Willenhall, save waiting for a 529, if I time it right!)

busfan2847

Looking at the Network West Midlands site gives a good example of why multiple services in an area should not have the same route numbers!

2 Merry Hill to Wrens Nest
refers to the Wolverhampton 2 and not the Dudley 2

2/2A - Bushbury Hill to Warstones
refers to the Dudley 2/2A not the Wolvehampton 2!

The links to Coventry 7 take you to Walsall 7!

It is a mess!

Westy

Quote from: busfan2847 on January 03, 2023, 04:08:57 PMLooking at the Network West Midlands site gives a good example of why multiple services in an area should not have the same route numbers!

2 Merry Hill to Wrens Nest
refers to the Wolverhampton 2 and not the Dudley 2

2/2A - Bushbury Hill to Warstones
refers to the Dudley 2/2A not the Wolvehampton 2!

The links to Coventry 7 take you to Walsall 7!

It is a mess!

Yes, but they know best though!

Rachvince53

The idea presumably was to make the routes seem to be more local to bus users in the way that the old corporation buses were rather than part of a vast organisation.  In theory it should work well but as noted, information can be confusing not to just potential and current passengers but to those who work in the industry. 

Gareth

Quote from: Rachvince53 on January 03, 2023, 05:46:49 PMThe idea presumably was to make the routes seem to be more local to bus users in the way that the old corporation buses were rather than part of a vast organisation.  In theory it should work well but as noted, information can be confusing not to just potential and current passengers but to those who work in the industry.
There was also the reasoning given that three digit route numbers were harder to remember. Heaven knows how people get through life if they can't remember three numbers on a bus route.

paulb1973

Quote from: Rachvince53 on January 03, 2023, 05:46:49 PMThe idea presumably was to make the routes seem to be more local to bus users in the way that the old corporation buses were rather than part of a vast organisation.  In theory it should work well but as noted, information can be confusing not to just potential and current passengers but to those who work in the industry.
Obviously this isn't so much of a problem here in Coventry! I think there has been two different service 18's and possibly two 48's at the same time. Currently there are two 55's - but one of those is a NXC Schools service (and the other a Stagecoach service into Warwickshire) so no major issue.

Perhaps have a separate number for each and every service - but drop the area/district identifiers (so no 2xx for the Dudley area etc) but just ensure each different service has its own unique number. A bit like the London area perhaps.

Steveminor

Look it's simple just number every route 25, then noone will forget their route number 

Rachvince53

Quote from: paulb1973 on January 03, 2023, 11:18:57 PMObviously this isn't so much of a problem here in Coventry! I think there has been two different service 18's and possibly two 48's at the same time. Currently there are two 55's - but one of those is a NXC Schools service (and the other a Stagecoach service into Warwickshire) so no major issue.

Perhaps have a separate number for each and every service - but drop the area/district identifiers (so no 2xx for the Dudley area etc) but just ensure each different service has its own unique number. A bit like the London area perhaps.
We have two service 9s in Wolverhampton but one is NX and the other Arriva so no problem.  The issue with service 2 etc seems to be a problem with TfWM where someone has linked the wrong number services together or put the information in the wrong place when the service changes list was updated. Having two or more services with the same number within the West Midlands isn't a problem provided those services never meet or are operated by a different bus company. 

Jack D

Along the A9 route 58 has been taken off the timetables however A9 hasn't been added, very confusing for passengers.

Rachvince53

Quote from: Jack D on January 05, 2023, 12:14:54 PMAlong the A9 route 58 has been taken off the timetables however A9 hasn't been added, very confusing for passengers.
Very confusing.  Presumably a breakdown in communication between TfWM and whoever changes the infrastructure on their behalf but not good enough.

bususer28

Some of the bus stops along Brandwood Road now have new timetables although they're displaying information for both the 46 and the 69! Dear, oh dear... 

Jack D

Diamond 96 timetables incorrect too. Got on in shard end this morning, timetables says CHelmsley Wood to Birmingham Airport, with the route map saying it goes to kingstanding. And also shows the route only runs evenings and Sundays.

Rachvince53

Quote from: Jack D on January 07, 2023, 07:31:49 AMDiamond 96 timetables incorrect too. Got on in shard end this morning, timetables says CHelmsley Wood to Birmingham Airport, with the route map saying it goes to kingstanding. And also shows the route only runs evenings and Sundays.
According to the TfWM timetable that is correct apart early morning journeys. However it is correct on the Diamond website.  Have you contacted TfWM to inform them of the error?

Stuharris 6360

Interestingly. the 142 Merry Hill to Halesowen now has a Sunday daytime service.

Don't think the Halesowen to Stourbridge part of the route has had a Sunday service for many years and similarly last Sunday service on the other part of the route I remember was the 287B?

From whar I hve seen, don't seem any passengers using the service, maybe because nobody knows about it!
Pensnett is my local garage. Favourite bus of all time is Fleetline 6360 (KON 360P).

sonic84

Quote from: Stuharris 6360 on January 08, 2023, 02:39:58 PMInterestingly. the 142 Merry Hill to Halesowen now has a Sunday daytime service.

Don't think the Halesowen to Stourbridge part of the route has had a Sunday service for many years and similarly last Sunday service on the other part of the route I remember was the 287B?

From whar I hve seen, don't seem any passengers using the service, maybe because nobody knows about it!
I do often wonder why for example tfwm have decided to fund a Sunday service on the 142 which hasn't had one for many years, but then cut other routes?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk