News:

Please do have a browse through the forums or use the Search functionality before posting a new topic - chances are there is already a discussion underway on that subject, or your question has already been answered previously!

Main Menu

Bus route Darlaston 1962

Started by tuffe, May 29, 2022, 10:22:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tuffe

As an apprentice at Rubery Owens plant in the summer of 1962 I used to go to Birmingham for the weekends. Now in my 80s I ve tried to remember what line I employed and what the buses looked like. Usually I took à bus from Darlaston Bull Stake to Wednesbury railway station and the diesel into town. Maybe somebody knows?

Justin Tyme

I reckon the railway you used would have been the Wolverhampton Low Level to Birmingham Snow Hill line.  This called at Wednesbury Central.

The bus service between Darlaston Bull Stake and Wednesbury would have been Walsall Corporation (blue buses) circular routes 37 and 38.  The 38 ran Walsall - Darlaston - Wednesbury - Walsall, and the 37 the other way round. 

tuffe

Thank you Justin for your answer! I hope to paint à Lesney bus in the appropiate colour and would love to also attach the correct identification to both ends: what might have the text been? Where could I find the correct shade of blue, seems to exist several ones.

Justin Tyme

Well Tuffe, there are a number of photos of Walsall Corporation colours on this very site, taken of course by the site owner Tony himself.

This link is to several images of a bus (no 4601) sadly no longer with us that National Express painted in Walsall colours a few years ago: https://wmbusphotos.com/NXWM/4475-4699/4601.html

And this link is to the same bus alongside a 1960s preserved Walsall Corporation bus (no 116): https://wmbusphotos.com/preserved/Walsall%20116.html

I hope these are of some help - good luck!

mikestone

I seem to recall Walsall's shade of blue  was a special mix?

tuffe

Coming back to my query concerning the Darlaston bus routes in 1962: I seem to remember that I sometimes took a direct bus to Birmingham city center (Coronation Road?) and that the bus was green. Might this line have passed also Wednesbury? I was earlyer advised that the bus from Darlaston to Wednesbury was in the blue Walsall corporation livery.

Westy

Quote from: tuffe on June 25, 2022, 11:39:29 AMComing back to my query concerning the Darlaston bus routes in 1962: I seem to remember that I sometimes took a direct bus to Birmingham city center (Coronation Road?) and that the bus was green. Might this line have passed also Wednesbury? I was earlyer advised that the bus from Darlaston to Wednesbury was in the blue Walsall corporation livery.
Wolverhampton buses were green mainly, but from reading up over the years, I don't recall Wolverhampton buses going into Birmingham. 

West Bromwich to Birmingham was covered by Birmingham City Transport I seem to recall reading. 

Wolverhampton & Birmingham buses wouldn't be seen in each other's areas until October 1969 at the earliest, with the original 79 not starting until April 1971.

Of course,  I'm doing this from memory,  so I could be wrong, as I wasn't born till 71 myself!

Justin Tyme

Westy is correct.  The first bus service I know of that ran direct from Darlaston to Birmingham city centre was the WMPTE service 79 (Wolverhampton - Birmingham), which started in 1971.  For the first few months some of the buses on it were were former Wolverhampton Corporation vehicles and were green.

If you are sure it was 1962, the only possibility I can think of is perhaps a contractor's bus - but not if it was a normal public bus service.

cardew

Quote from: tuffe on May 29, 2022, 10:22:28 AMAs an apprentice at Rubery Owens plant in the summer of 1962 I used to go to Birmingham for the weekends. Now in my 80s I ve tried to remember what line I employed and what the buses looked like. Usually I took à bus from Darlaston Bull Stake to Wednesbury railway station and the diesel into town. Maybe somebody knows?
This might be of interest. (not my photo)

https://www.flickr.com/photos/8050359@N07/52002390814/

tuffe

Great thanks all! Remembering colours is difficult, and over 60 years in my case probably impossible. I so much loved that summer in Darlaston and Birmingham, was wonderful to relive a little with your help!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk