News:

Reminder to all members: please keep thread discussions 'on-topic' - this is a structured discussion forum, not a general 'group chat'!

Main Menu

Open top Fleetline 3867 under WMT ownership

Started by j789, March 12, 2022, 08:17:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

j789

I have a very distant memory of catching an open top bus running on the newly number 103 route to Woodgate Valley North (old 3 route) in the early 1990s. I couldn't remember the exact details but it was the only time I ever caught an open top bus ion an ACTUAL service in Brum.

I thought maybe my memory was exaggerating but I saw a picture of 3867 today on the Old pics of Brum Facebook group and it has this bus operating the 103 service driving down Broad Street, dated 7th August 1992. This must be the same day I remember.

Does anyone know the reasons why this open topper was used in service that day (some sort of event, commemoration, etc) as I never saw it again in service after that day?

Gareth

I don't know why it was in service that particular day, but I think sometimes 4069 used to operate in service in Wolverhampton too in the summer. As well as the time it operated on the 1c in Birmingham when Acocks Green had an open day.

Steveminor

They occasionally ran an open topper on a short working 101 to the jewellery quarter when it was a hot sunny day & kids off school.

Westy

If memory serves me correctly(Sure people will confirm or deny?), but I'm sure I heard, when Walsall borrowed the open toppers for their own tours in the 80's, they put one on on an evening service after the day's tour?

Wumpty

Quote from: Westy on March 13, 2022, 03:29:31 PM
If memory serves me correctly(Sure people will confirm or deny?), but I'm sure I heard, when Walsall borrowed the open toppers for their own tours in the 80's, they put one on on an evening service after the day's tour?

They most certainly did - and I was lucky enough to have got on it at Walsall Garage where my best friend's grandad was an inspector!
Autofare 3 - the ticket that laughs in the face of contactless!

Wumpty

Mike K

Quote from: j789 on March 12, 2022, 08:17:27 PM
I have a very distant memory of catching an open top bus running on the newly number 103 route to Woodgate Valley North (old 3 route) in the early 1990s. I couldn't remember the exact details but it was the only time I ever caught an open top bus ion an ACTUAL service in Brum.

I thought maybe my memory was exaggerating but I saw a picture of 3867 today on the Old pics of Brum Facebook group and it has this bus operating the 103 service driving down Broad Street, dated 7th August 1992. This must be the same day I remember.

Does anyone know the reasons why this open topper was used in service that day (some sort of event, commemoration, etc) as I never saw it again in service after that day?

I do recall this, and if I remember correctly it may have been more than just a single day. The journeys were advertised through a notice on QN buses, and 3867 ran as an extra to the normal timetable on the 103 between city and Five Ways only.

These Flickr pictures are both from the day you mention:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/8050359@N07/34262437146/in/photostream
https://www.flickr.com/photos/8050359@N07/728842525

I'm not sure whether the other open topper, 4067 ran a short working on another route on the same day(s)? Possibly the 101? My memory on that is vague.

Westy

Quote from: Wumpty on March 14, 2022, 07:16:32 AM
They most certainly did - and I was lucky enough to have got on it at Walsall Garage where my best friend's grandad was an inspector!

I had a mate from school who's dad drove at Walsall (Early to mid 80's!)

Name was Nawaz.

Ring any bells?

Wumpty

Quote from: Westy on March 14, 2022, 12:24:36 PM
I had a mate from school who's dad drove at Walsall (Early to mid 80's!)

Name was Nawaz.

Ring any bells?

Name is familiar, though there wer so many old timers I knew at Walsall - it was hard to keep tabs!!!!

j789

Quote from: Mike K on March 14, 2022, 11:43:29 AM
I do recall this, and if I remember correctly it may have been more than just a single day. The journeys were advertised through a notice on QN buses, and 3867 ran as an extra to the normal timetable on the 103 between city and Five Ways only.

These Flickr pictures are both from the day you mention:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/8050359@N07/34262437146/in/photostream
https://www.flickr.com/photos/8050359@N07/728842525

I'm not sure whether the other open topper, 4067 ran a short working on another route on the same day(s)? Possibly the 101? My memory on that is vague.

Thanks for the photos. I caught the bus from the Court Oak pub into town in the 103 route, not five ways so I am intrigued now. Maybe this was its first journey running from Quinton garage to Town via the 103 route. A shame this bus was scrapped as would have been an ideal heritage bus to hire out.

Wumpty

Quote from: j789 on March 14, 2022, 08:26:17 PM
Thanks for the photos. I caught the bus from the Court Oak pub into town in the 103 route, not five ways so I am intrigued now. Maybe this was its first journey running from Quinton garage to Town via the 103 route. A shame this bus was scrapped as would have been an ideal heritage bus to hire out.

I'm sure this passed to Birmingham City Council as a promotional vehicle after WMT and spent many years at outdoor events (we used it when I worked at BRMB at Cannon Hill Park).

cardew

Birmingham Council had 3796 from that batch which is now preserved.

3867 went to Coventry radio station KIX FM, there are photos to be found on flickr

Wumpty

Quote from: cardew on March 15, 2022, 08:25:05 AM
Birmingham Council had 3796 from that batch which is now preserved.

3867 went to Coventry radio station KIX FM, there are photos to be found on flickr

I knew it was one or the other (thanks for the clarification!). 3867 was sold to Murfin Music International who also owned Birmingham's Buzz FM (we used it at Buzz prior to the relaunch of Radio Harmony to Kix 96). They then had T396 - NXWM did some repairs and a respray into white for use at 89.1 Big City Radio before being moved to Hereford & Ludlow's Sunshine Radio.

http://wmbusphotos.com/Other%20Buses/SunshineKYV396X.html

Westy

Quote from: Wumpty on March 15, 2022, 09:13:30 AM
I knew it was one or the other (thanks for the clarification!). 3867 was sold to Murfin Music International who also owned Birmingham's Buzz FM (we used it at Buzz prior to the relaunch of Radio Harmony to Kix 96). They then had T396 - NXWM did some repairs and a respray into white for use at 89.1 Big City Radio before being moved to Hereford & Ludlow's Sunshine Radio.

http://wmbusphotos.com/Other%20Buses/SunshineKYV396X.html

Is this the same one?

(From the 2013 YW & AG open day!)

Wumpty

Quote from: Westy on March 15, 2022, 01:06:42 PM
Is this the same one?

(From the 2013 YW & AG open day!)

Yes it is. They had the idea after seeing the old Beacon Radio Sound Machine (to give it its full title!) converted from ex WMPTE Fleetline 6429.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk