News:

Welcome to the WM Buses in Photos Forum! New and existing members are kindly reminded to respect and abide by the Forum Rules that are in place here.

Main Menu

Snow Updates

Started by BBS, November 27, 2021, 10:10:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BBS

So is the Snow forecasted to happened again this or next week or is it gone for now?
Local Bus Routes: 4, 4A, A15, A16, 41,1,11A,11C, A9, A12

Pat

Quote from: bbs on November 27, 2021, 10:10:27 PM
So is the Snow forecasted to happened again this or next week or is it gone for now?
Why don't you check the weather forecast?

Stu

The Weather Channel website is suggesting 'possibility of occasional snow after 2pm', may not be as bad as yesterday morning though.

Any updates from NX Bus will be found here:
https://nxbus.co.uk/west-midlands/service-updates/severe-weather
My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

ellspurs

'Tis snowing in North Solihull now.

Westy

Think I might not hang about for Chaserider tomorrow & go onto Bloxwich Road instead.

(One slight drawback is the connecting road, between Somerfield Road & Bloxwich Road, Nursery Road. That's bound to be lethal so I'll end up walking up to either the Asda or the Pinfold stops instead)

DJ

It's been affecting us at Megabus pretty badly for the past couple of days. Birmingham itself hasn't been too bad, but the worse conditions up north have been causing quite a few delays, especially yesterday with the M62 and part of the M1 closed.

Any views/comments are my own and do not reflect those of my employer.

Stu

Quote from: Westy on November 28, 2021, 03:25:44 PM
Think I might not hang about for Chaserider tomorrow & go onto Bloxwich Road instead.

(One slight drawback is the connecting road, between Somerfield Road & Bloxwich Road, Nursery Road. That's bound to be lethal so I'll end up walking up to either the Asda or the Pinfold stops instead)

The key is to wear appropriate footwear! I only had my trainers on today, as the roads and pavements round by me were clear and dry this morning, and I figured that if we only had light snowfall it wouldn't be too bad to walk around on. Over Oldbury way, the pavements still had snow on them, which had started to melt during the day, so were becoming a little treacherous when I left there. When I arrived back in Billesley about an hour ago, some of the pavements were starting to 'frost' as the temps drop below freezing. I'll be wearing my walking boots in the morning to get to the bus stop!
My locals:

BBS

Quote from: Stu on November 28, 2021, 08:53:18 PM
The key is to wear appropriate footwear! I only had my trainers on today, as the roads and pavements round by me were clear and dry this morning, and I figured that if we only had light snowfall it wouldn't be too bad to walk around on. Over Oldbury way, the pavements still had snow on them, which had started to melt during the day, so were becoming a little treacherous when I left there. When I arrived back in Billesley about an hour ago, some of the pavements were starting to 'frost' as the temps drop below freezing. I'll be wearing my walking boots in the morning to get to the bus stop!
I mean people will just use trainers to get through anything really

Quote from: bbs on November 28, 2021, 09:12:04 PM
I mean people will just use trainers to get through anything really
I did notice one woman got on the 14 at Lea Village early yesterday morning wearing sandals with bare feet actually in the snow.
That must have been freezing.
Local Routes
94/95, 11A/11C, 28.

Justin Tyme

I've found ice grips (which are put over shoes, trainers etc, available from the likes of Millets) are ideal for coping with icy pavements.

In an ideal world, pavements would be gritted so that we could walk to bus stops in icy weather, or someone would invent something to prevent pavements icing over.  I'll dream on!

Westy

Hmm.

Been looking at Bustimes.org, & the first 1 hasn't appeared on there, even though other buses are leaving Cannock depot, so looks like Bloxwich Road folks.

(Looks like the 0630 X51 from Cannock is there though!)

Edit Just got to top of my road .

The number 1 sails past, plus just missed a Diamond 31 as well!

Bloody typical!

BBS

Quote from: 2206 on November 28, 2021, 09:42:44 PM
I did notice one woman got on the 14 at Lea Village early yesterday morning wearing sandals with bare feet actually in the snow.
That must have been freezing.
Ouch

Ginger66

I wonder if the Electric / Hydrogen buses will handle better in the snow compared to diesel powered buses

Stu

Quote from: Ginger66 on February 09, 2022, 06:09:28 PM
I wonder if the Electric / Hydrogen buses will handle better in the snow compared to diesel powered buses

Why do you think they wouldn't?

The electric buses have been out in service when it has snowed previously, I don't recall any problems being reported.
My locals:

Tony

Quote from: Stu on February 09, 2022, 07:45:40 PM
Why do you think they wouldn't?

The electric buses have been out in service when it has snowed previously, I don't recall any problems being reported.

The fact they are heavier because of the battery weight probably helps

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk