News:

Please do have a browse through the forums or use the Search functionality before posting a new topic - chances are there is already a discussion underway on that subject, or your question has already been answered previously!

Main Menu

Bus fares being reduced from June 21st?

Started by Stu, April 29, 2021, 07:43:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tony

Quote from: MK on April 30, 2021, 07:28:23 PM
Birmingham's ongoing problem with homelessness.

I'm in the City Centre 6 days a week and its no better now than it was 5 years ago. If anything, its now worse. Prior to his appointment, he stated that sorting this out would be his priority. His time should be based purely on results, and regardless of his initiatives, he has failed.

Our City Centre streets are rife with these people, day-in, day-out. It paints a very grim picture for any tourists or potential investors.

Every homeless person has been offered some sort of accommodation during this pandemic, If they don't take it up or abuse it then is that the Mayors fault?

Quote from: Tony on April 30, 2021, 07:31:44 PM
Every homeless person has been offered some sort of accommodation during this pandemic, If they don't take it up or abuse it then is that the Mayors fault?
I know the homeless people who sit outside Aldi/Tesco/Iceland at the Fox & Goose begging, live in the B&B on the Washwood Heath Road. They go in while i've been waiting for the bus outside at Foley Road stop.
Though I guess living in a B&B they'd still technically be homeless.
Local Routes
94/95, 11A/11C, 28.

Westy

This is only applying to Nx isn't it?

Anything on the TfWm stuff as well?

MK

Quote from: Tony on April 30, 2021, 07:31:44 PM

As i said, his ideas and initiatives haven't worked. The problem of homeless people in the City Centre remains. He's gone on record as saying that its been a more complex problem than he envisaged. Maybe we can add naivety to his attributes.

D10

Quote from: Westy on April 30, 2021, 07:36:27 PM
This is only applying to Nx isn't it?

Anything on the TfWm stuff as well?

Yes only NX as they are using the funding given to them by the Government under the Job Retention Scheme to do this.

j789

Compare Andy Street and his pro-transport policies with Andy Burnham in Manchester and the shocking ideas he has. Typical Labour though I guess thinking money grows on trees so let's nationalise everything, pay everyone top whack wages for doing a 25 hour maximum week and then wonder why the country ends up bankrupt.
Yes Andy Street does love a photo opportunity but equally it is nice to hear him regularly repeating his support for West Mids transport, and he deserves praise for this. All the labour candidate seems to do is criticise without any feasible alternative options given.

Gareth

Quote from: D10 on April 30, 2021, 08:33:33 PM
Yes only NX as they are using the funding given to them by the Government under the Job Retention Scheme to do this.

The job retention scheme bonus that was due to be paid in February was scrapped last October I'm sure. I'm guessing there was other funding that NX has received.

Solo1

Tony

Stu

Quote from: Tony on April 30, 2021, 06:37:24 PM
Scrapping the £4.60 peak daysaver and making daysavers £4 all day long (plus, the low-fares zones will stay at £3)
Making the under-18 daysaver just £2 (down from £2.50 today)
Making the weekly travelcard £15 (down from £17.50) - and flowing these reductions through to 4-weekly and direct debits too

Thanks, is anything happening with Coventry fares?
My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

Tony

Quote from: Stu on May 01, 2021, 02:40:41 PM
Thanks, is anything happening with Coventry fares?

Not been mentioned

Solo1

bususer28

Quote from: MK on April 30, 2021, 07:28:23 PM
Birmingham's ongoing problem with homelessness.

I'm in the City Centre 6 days a week and its no better now than it was 5 years ago. If anything, its now worse. Prior to his appointment, he stated that sorting this out would be his priority. His time should be based purely on results, and regardless of his initiatives, he has failed.

Our City Centre streets are rife with these people, day-in, day-out. It paints a very grim picture for any tourists or potential investors.
Not going to say much but better than what Burnham did by promising to end homelessness and then admitting just after he got elected that it's not going to be possible.

Stu

Quote from: Sandy Lane on May 01, 2021, 06:43:23 PM
Hang on - have a look at this Coventry paper.
https://coventryobserver.co.uk/news/national-express-slashes-its-west-midlands-bus-fares-to-make-travel-cheaper-simpler-and-more-flexible-29392/

Lazy copy-and-paste journalism? Without looking into and investigating further.

OK, I admit I do a lot of 'copy-and-paste' myself on my own site, but I don't get paid for producing such articles, and at least I try and verify and clarify what I publish.  ;)

My criticism of quality of local news media still stands.  ;D

To be honest, I would find it odd if something didn't happen with fares in Coventry though.
My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk