News:

Welcome to the WM Buses in Photos Forum! New and existing members are kindly reminded to respect and abide by the Forum Rules that are in place here.

Main Menu

New Forum Features - February Issue

Started by Tony, April 07, 2012, 07:35:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tony

This Forum seems to have one down well since I added it. Has anybody any ideas for other features they would like to see added to this site? Any changes they would like to see made?
No promises they will happen, but I am open to suggestions on improvements

Stu

You could maybe 'jazz' up the forum a little, like rename it from the default 'My Community' to something a little more meaningful, like "West Midlands Buses Community".

Also, adding a link in the Forum menu bar back to the 'main page' could help with navigation.

Isn't the guestbook a little defunct now? Maybe it could be killed off, and that might encourage more people to join the forum.

My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

Tony

When I work out how to do those I will do both, good ideas. I do intend killing the guestbook off in the near future

Stu

You can rename the forum in the Admin panel (can you tell I've used SMF myself before?).

As for adding a link to the menu bar, I think that may involve editing the template file, but I can't be 100% sure on that. I'm a co-admin on another forum that uses SMF, and we added extra links to our menu bar, I'll find out how we did it and let you know!
My locals:

Ossie

Just wondering, Tony, as the forum gets more and more use, might there be a case for seperate discussion boards for NXWM, Arriva, Rotala, First, Other operators?

Tony

Quote from: Stu on April 08, 2012, 05:52:10 PM
You can rename the forum in the Admin panel (can you tell I've used SMF myself before?).

As for adding a link to the menu bar, I think that may involve editing the template file, but I can't be 100% sure on that. I'm a co-admin on another forum that uses SMF, and we added extra links to our menu bar, I'll find out how we did it and let you know!

I currently have my setting.php on read only, this stops the bug that made the forum collapse twice before, but cannot remember how to alter it back so I can change the title

winston

Tony,

The forum is a brilliant addition to your website, I think part of the reason it is so successful, is you that you can actually ask questions, discuss rumours, have an opinion without fear of being slatted unlike WMbus yahoo group.

Splitting the forum up in to different operator sections may be a good idea as has already been suggested below, that way you can filter through the operators you are / aren't interested in much quicker

Quote from: Tony on April 07, 2012, 07:35:15 PM
This Forum seems to have one down well since I added it. Has anybody any ideas for other features they would like to see added to this site? Any changes they would like to see made?

Stu

It's great, when you have a collection of 'enthusiasts', like ourselves, who have somewhere to congregate and share ideas and discuss matters sensibly.

If you could somehow keep some of the nutters from the NXWM Facebook page away, then it would stay great.  ;D
My locals:

winston

Stu,

I'll second that!!!

Would that be happen to include anyone by the name of Reiss Belle-Ffrench who insists on living in the past, with constant route suggestions that have been & gone......

Quote from: Stu on April 08, 2012, 06:56:48 PM
It's great, when you have a collection of 'enthusiasts', like ourselves, who have somewhere to congregate and share ideas and discuss matters sensibly.

If you could somehow keep some of the nutters from the NXWM Facebook page away, then it would stay great.  ;D

MW

Quote from: Tony on April 07, 2012, 07:35:15 PM

A small change, but perhaps replace the following file, with perhaps a logo or WMBus Photos or something similar: http://wmbusphotos.com/forum/Themes/default/images/smflogo.png

SMK

Quote from: Stu on April 08, 2012, 06:56:48 PM
Amen though You've probably gone and jinxed this place now lol.
Expect Reiss, Sue and Jade to be serial-posting in the near future loool
We'll get rid of your bus to Wolves and replace it with one to Walsall instead.......... Oh the joy of a Network Review. -_-

Stu

Nobody...NOBODY!  must post a link to this site on that page!  :-X
My locals:

Abluhwleh

The one recommendation I have is to get a couple of moderators to merge posts or something. For example, surely the new Buses for NXWM, the X31 cancellation, and new quality partnerships only really need one thread each. Just a thought...

Tony

I have done some of the things recommended, logo, title, extra boards.

Any more comments?

Stu

My locals:

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk